    configuration, without getting an IDE drive?

    Thanks,
    TG
    Deathwish, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Deathwish

    JBM Guest

    "Deathwish" <> wrote in message
    news:53yHd.4104$...
    >I currently have two 80Gb HDD's in a Raid 0 configuration on the Intel Raid
    >controller. I bought a new serial HDD for extra HD space, not thinking
    >that the two serial ports are used for the Intel Raid controller and the
    >other two are Raid only connectors for the Promise chip. My question is:
    >
    > Can I move this array to the Promise controller and have it recognize it
    > without reinstalling Windows XP? I tried this and didn't have any luck.
    > It seems to want to rebuild the array, and I don't really want to start
    > from scratch.
    >
    > Do I have any other options to make the SATA drive work under the current
    > configuration, without getting an IDE drive?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > TG

    If you move the array you'll have to rebuild it. have you tried attaching
    the
    single drive to the promise controller and setting up a raid 0 array and
    just adding the single drive. Or does the controller support JBOD?
    I've done this with other raid controllers.

    Jim M
    JBM, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Deathwish

    Paul Guest

    In article <53yHd.4104$>, "Deathwish"
    <> wrote:

    > I currently have two 80Gb HDD's in a Raid 0 configuration on the Intel Raid
    > controller. I bought a new serial HDD for extra HD space, not thinking that
    > the two serial ports are used for the Intel Raid controller and the other
    > two are Raid only connectors for the Promise chip. My question is:
    >
    > Can I move this array to the Promise controller and have it recognize it
    > without reinstalling Windows XP? I tried this and didn't have any luck. It
    > seems to want to rebuild the array, and I don't really want to start from
    > scratch.
    >
    > Do I have any other options to make the SATA drive work under the current
    > configuration, without getting an IDE drive?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > TG

    The Promise controller has an "ATA" driver on the download page.
    Connect a single SATA drive to the Promise 20378 and use the ATA driver.
    The Promise is more than a RAID chip.

    Your array can remain undisturbed on the Intel RAID, as the highest
    performance will be on the Intel interface.

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Deathwish

    Noozer Guest

    "Deathwish" <> wrote in message
    > I currently have two 80Gb HDD's in a Raid 0 configuration on the Intel

    Raid
    > controller. I bought a new serial HDD for extra HD space, not thinking

    that
    > the two serial ports are used for the Intel Raid controller and the other
    > two are Raid only connectors for the Promise chip. My question is:
    >
    > Can I move this array to the Promise controller and have it recognize it
    > without reinstalling Windows XP? I tried this and didn't have any luck.

    It
    > seems to want to rebuild the array, and I don't really want to start from
    > scratch.
    >
    > Do I have any other options to make the SATA drive work under the current
    > configuration, without getting an IDE drive?

    I moved RAID arrays from the Promise to the Intel and back again without any
    damage to the array. Could still boot/read/write, etc. without issue. (Was
    trying to benchmark at the time)

    Also, you can put the single drive on the Promise controller and install the
    IDE drivers (there are RAID and IDE drivers - you install the one you need).
    You might even be able to just create a single drive array and use the RAID
    driver.
    Noozer, Jan 20, 2005