P4C800-E Deluxe mobo and Raid Configurations

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Gary Bagen, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Gary Bagen

    Gary Bagen Guest

    Hello,

    I was thinking of purchasing this mobo.

    What I would like to do is setup an IDE Mirror RAID that will be
    bootable with XP. Then I would like a second array that will be a SATA
    Stripped array that will be non-bootable (my working drive for video
    editing).

    Seems straight forward, but I thought I'd better check first.

    Thanks,
    Gar

    1. Advertising

  2. Hi,

    I have this board with a IDE raid1 on the promise and SATA raid1 and
    tested the raid 1 features yesterday :

    If you remove the power connector from a IDE disk, XP does horrible things
    in a manner which means to press the reset button.

    If you remove the data connector from a SATA disk, Xp works so as if nothing
    happened. No event log entry !! But it works!

    Forget all IDE RAID1 on a motherboard and a single channel.

    I hope it helps you.

    cheers, Mario

    "Gary Bagen" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was thinking of purchasing this mobo.
    >
    > What I would like to do is setup an IDE Mirror RAID that will be
    > bootable with XP. Then I would like a second array that will be a SATA
    > Stripped array that will be non-bootable (my working drive for video
    > editing).
    >
    > Seems straight forward, but I thought I'd better check first.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gar

    1. Advertising

  3. Gary Bagen

    Gary Bagen Guest

    Thanks, the price difference between the IDE and SATA drives is very
    minimal, so I think I'll just buy 4 SATA drives and setup the bootable
    array as mirrored and the second array as striped.

    Thanks for the heads up!

    "EDUARDO Mario" <> wrote in message news:<3fe1dde7$-wien.ac.at>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have this board with a IDE raid1 on the promise and SATA raid1 and
    > tested the raid 1 features yesterday :
    >
    > If you remove the power connector from a IDE disk, XP does horrible things
    > in a manner which means to press the reset button.
    >
    > If you remove the data connector from a SATA disk, Xp works so as if nothing
    > happened. No event log entry !! But it works!
    >
    > Forget all IDE RAID1 on a motherboard and a single channel.
    >
    > I hope it helps you.
    >
    > cheers, Mario
    >
    > "Gary Bagen" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I was thinking of purchasing this mobo.
    > >
    > > What I would like to do is setup an IDE Mirror RAID that will be
    > > bootable with XP. Then I would like a second array that will be a SATA
    > > Stripped array that will be non-bootable (my working drive for video
    > > editing).
    > >
    > > Seems straight forward, but I thought I'd better check first.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Gar

  4. Karl Burrows

    Karl Burrows Guest

    You can only have one RAID on the SATA controller and one on the Promise
    IDE. You can combine them to run a 1+0 or 10 RAID.