P4DC6+ and Hyperthreading

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by Luigi, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Luigi

    Luigi Guest

    I've got hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS on my P4DC6+ (dual Xeon
    2.4's) and XP Professional shows 4 processors OK, but I'm not sure
    things are working correctly. When I start a CPU-intensive process like
    WinRAR, the first CPU in Task Manager pegs out at 100%, but just about
    anything else I attempt to run seems to be waiting for CPU, even tho the
    processor utilization shows only 25%. Shouldn't a new process be routed
    to another CPU by the OS?

    Anybody have any light to shed on this? I am thinking about disabling
    hyperthreading in the BIOS. Any comments?

    Thanks,
    Luigi

    1. Advertising

  2. Mr T

    Mr T Guest

    "Luigi" <> wrote in message
    > I've got hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS on my P4DC6+ (dual Xeon
    > 2.4's) and XP Professional shows 4 processors OK, but I'm not sure
    > things are working correctly. When I start a CPU-intensive process like
    > WinRAR, the first CPU in Task Manager pegs out at 100%, but just about
    > anything else I attempt to run seems to be waiting for CPU, even tho the
    > processor utilization shows only 25%. Shouldn't a new process be routed
    > to another CPU by the OS?

    It may well be that the applications usch as WinRAR are not multi-threaded
    and only written to run on the first processor they see. The operating
    system will not compensate for this.