P4DC6+ BIOS and SATA Question

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by Luigi, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Luigi

    Luigi Guest

    I am running BIOS rev 1.2c on the P4DC6+. I just installed 2 new
    Hitachi 7K250 160GB SATA drives, attached to a Promise TX2Plus
    controller card. The controller supports 2 parallel ATA drives in
    addition to 2 SATA drives. I have two Western Digital UDMA5 drives
    attached to the Parallel interface.

    My problem is that the Promise card reports all 4 drives as UDMA5 during
    the boot process, instead of showing the 2 Hitachis as "Serial ATA".
    The implication (verified by SiSoft Sandra) is that the new drives are
    running at 2/3 of their rated speed (100 mbps vs. 150).

    Could this be a motherboard BIOS issue? I am hesitant to install the
    most recent BIOS (1.3) until I know whether it should fix the problem or
    not.

    Thanks...

    1. Advertising

  2. A_Newsreader

    A_Newsreader Guest

    Luigi,

    One problem that you *may* have, kinda related (once you've read what
    I have to say), is that you may find you're gonna run into problems
    flashing the BIOS.

    I am no expert but this is where I'm at with my mobo. I cannot get to
    update the bios. I've created a Bios diskette, but it says at boot up
    time that it cannot find the AWDFLASH.EXE UTILITY.

    Be interested to see what you or others may say about this.

    Sorry for jumping in on your original post like this.