P4IS2 won't start/INS key

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by S Austin, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. S Austin

    S Austin Guest

    Similar problem to other posts I've seen here so not sure if anyone
    will have any new advice.

    PC was working fine (XP home) except for occasional network issues,
    brought it down to my workshop & now won't boot. All we did was
    unplug peripherals, move it and plug it into a different monitor,
    keyboard and mouse (all of which work fine on other PCs). SY-P4IS2
    MOBO with 2GHz Intel processor, had it for about a year.

    Fans come on, no video, no beeps. Have tried clearing BIOS with J5
    many times. If I remove the 256MB PC133 memory and put in some
    working PC100 memory I have, I get the long "no memory found" beeps.
    I tried the 256MB in another motherboard (Intel BI440ZX) and it only
    showed as 128MB, perhaps that's an artifact of the older architecture
    but I believe it should be compatible.

    The MOBO manual says something about holding INS key down while
    booting - anyone tried this? I did with no difference.

    That's all the spares I have on hand to try...don't know whether to
    buy another PC133 RAM stick, CPU or MOBO to try next...I'd like to
    salvage whatever's still working and not toast any more parts.

    Thanks
    S. Austin
    S Austin, Sep 28, 2004

  2. S Austin

    S Austin Guest

    Turns out I have access to another Socket 478 machine, and was able to
    verify the CPU is still good. Also verified AGP card works in another
    machine, and the 256MB PC 133 RAM is good.

    Guess that leaves only the MOBO as the problem?
    S Austin, Sep 29, 2004

  3. S Austin

    dave Guest

    If I remember right, you need to turn off the power , then while
    holding the insert key down, turn on the power.
    Dave

    dave, Sep 29, 2004