P4PE Broadcom LAN and RF Noise?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by AT, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. AT

    AT Guest

    Hi everyone, I have an Asus P4PE MB and am using the on-board Broadcom
    NIC for my Internet connection. The thing is, when ever my NIC is
    active, my sound gets all messed up. I hear constant blips and beeps
    and generally garbled sound. My soundcard is a SB Live! Gold with all
    drivers up to date.

    The sound gets wonky ONLY while the NIC is active, otherwise
    everything is fine. My SB is also seated in the second last slot, far
    away from the integrated Broadcom. This only started happening
    recently, haven't done any hardware upgrades.

    Is the Broadcom generating noise to cause this to happen or something?
    Has anyone else heard of this happening with the Broadcoms in the Asus
    boards? The only thing I can think of doing is to stop using the
    Broadcom and installing a PCI NIC, but I'd rather find another course
    of action.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks.

    System specs are:
    XP Pro, SP1
    Intel P2.8
    1 GB RAM
    ATI AIW 8500
    Adaptec DuoConnect USB/1394 card
    alll drivers/software current

    AT, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Yes of course.
    Don't throw away your integrated gigabit Lan Card.
    One more time, it's Creative Fault.
    SB Live are known for not using correctly the PCI Bus. In fact, only bad or
    light implementation of the PCI Bus can handle well the SB Live series.

    Possible Fix:
    1) Get another SoundCard. Simple.
    2) Try to find out a PCI Slot that is not sharing any material IRQ (A/B/C/D)
    with anything else. Do not rely on what XP is saying, look in your mainboard
    manual instead... It may works. If you have somewhere in your bios a "PCI
    LATENCY" Value, set it to 64 instead of 32. Or Use of special driver to put
    248 to the slot holding the Live.

    Erwan LE BIHAN, Jan 12, 2004

  3. AT

    Phil Guest

    Check to see if you both the NIC and sound card are sharing an IRQ. If they
    are, uninstall the sound card and reboot. I had a similar problem and
    reinstalling the sound card solved it.

    Phil, Jan 13, 2004
  4. AT

    AT Guest

    Thanks, I'll give those a try. XP does say they aren't sharing an IRQ
    but I'll try swapping slots anyway before I try another sound card.

    AT, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Don't these boards have SoundMAX audio onboard? I'd trash the Live and go
    with the onboard in that case..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from

    Robert Hancock, Jan 14, 2004
  6. AT

    AT Guest

    That's exactly what I did and it all works fine now. I even tried
    adding a 3Com PCI card and got the same problem. Thanks for the help
    everyone!

    AT, Jan 27, 2004