    even small groups of files. But if I try to copy a large number of files,
    the system hangs.

    Any ideas?

    WhoMe, Aug 16, 2005

  2. WhoMe

    Paul Guest

    In article <7y9Me.225446$s54.71267@pd7tw2no>, "WhoMe" <> wrote:

    > P4S8X motherboard with BIOS 1005 (10/23/2003)
    >
    > 2 serial ATA drives using Promise FastTrack 376 controller
    > 1 external USB2 drive
    >
    > I can read/write to all three drives. Can copy single files back and forth,
    > even small groups of files. But if I try to copy a large number of files,
    > the system hangs.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I notice on a Linux posting (near the very top), that simultaneous
    access to both SATA seems to hang things up.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/linux...e_frm/thread/8f5de272ce5249f/5e9bdd93a31ef4cc

    About all I can suggest, is use an up to date driver. The K8V
    board uses the same PDC20376 as your board, and it appears
    the 378 RAID package on the K8V download page, supports both
    20376 and 20378 according to the .inf file. This is from 2003/09/18.
    Are you currently using a RAID driver ?

    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/378raid_100137.zip

    The equivalent FTP directory is here.

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/

    When I first saw your post, I thought "bad ram", but it is possible
    for the chips to have internal flaws. One of the Via Southbridge
    chips had an issue like that (686B?).

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 17, 2005