    1.225, while ASUS probe reports it at 1.54V.

    Which is correct?

    TIA

    Lowly Engineer, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Lowly Engineer

    Paul Guest

    Lowly Engineer wrote:
    > I have a 6850 in an ASUS P5B-E. I haven't messed around with it too
    > much but it is stable at 3.825 GHz.
    >
    > In BIOS, I have Vcore set to 'AUTO'. CPU-Z reports the voltage as
    > 1.225, while ASUS probe reports it at 1.54V.
    >
    > Which is correct?
    >
    > TIA

    CPUZ could be reporting the nominal voltage (like from a register
    inside the processor). Asus Probe is more likely to be using the
    hardware monitor. I'd say that Asus Probe is giving you the real scoop.

    Why the voltage got that high, depends on how you are overclocking.
    If you use manual overclocking techniques, then it is up to you
    to turn it up that high. If using some of the automatic overclocking
    techniques, then the BIOS has probably turned it up automatically,

    If it was my system, I'd overclock it manually, only applying as
    much voltage as is necessary, to run at the frequency. For example,
    run at stock voltage, increase FSB in small steps, checking stability
    with something other than my Windows hard drive. A Knoppix or Ubuntu
    CD, for example. Or even memtest86+. When the processor shows signs
    of instability, apply a small voltage increment, then go back to
    small frequency increases. From the trend you get from those data
    points, you should get some idea how much voltage is needed to get
    to "X" frequency.

    Eventually, you hit a wall, where a lot more voltage is needed.
    And that is telling you, it is time to stop. Then back off to
    a set of conditions, that you think can be applied for the life
    of the processor (so-called "everyday overclock" value).

    As a final check, boot from Knoppix or Ubuntu, go to mersenne.org,
    and get a copy of Prime95. Use the Torture Test option, and see
    if it runs error free for hours on end. There is also the Orthos
    program, which runs multiple copies of Prime95. For a multicore
    processor, you want to run a Prime95 thread per core, to get
    the maximum degree of testing. If you can pass Prime95 under those
    conditions, only then would I plug my Windows hard drive back in
    and try booting from it.

    A Windows hard drive can be corrupted, from overclocking experiments,
    so you run the risk of losing the boot drive. Which is why you
    need to find a bulletproof bootable OS, such as a Linux Live CD.
    By booting from a CD, and having no hard drive present, there is
    nothing to corrupt.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Lowly Engineer

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Lowly Engineer wrote:
    >> I have a 6850 in an ASUS P5B-E. I haven't messed around with it too
    >> much but it is stable at 3.825 GHz. In BIOS, I have Vcore set to
    >> 'AUTO'. CPU-Z reports the voltage as
    >> 1.225, while ASUS probe reports it at 1.54V.
    >>
    >> Which is correct?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > CPUZ could be reporting the nominal voltage (like from a register
    > inside the processor). Asus Probe is more likely to be using the
    > hardware monitor. I'd say that Asus Probe is giving you the real
    > scoop.
    >
    > Why the voltage got that high, depends on how you are overclocking.
    > If you use manual overclocking techniques, then it is up to you
    > to turn it up that high. If using some of the automatic overclocking
    > techniques, then the BIOS has probably turned it up automatically,

    Lowly Engineer could easily prove this auto voltage adjustment by
    winding down his clock and measuring again.
    I'd be quite curious to know if that was going on.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    Eric Parker, Aug 8, 2007
  4. "Lowly Engineer" <> wrote in message

    > I have a 6850 in an ASUS P5B-E. I haven't messed around with it too
    > much but it is stable at 3.825 GHz.

    I thought that was a windup to start with! I started thinking of the old
    Motorola 68xx CPUs! ;-)

    JW

    John Whitworth, Aug 8, 2007
  5. Lowly Engineer

    Stephen Guest

    On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:51:04 +0100, "John Whitworth"
    <> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
    out:

    >"Lowly Engineer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a 6850 in an ASUS P5B-E. I haven't messed around with it too
    >> much but it is stable at 3.825 GHz.

    >I thought that was a windup to start with! I started thinking of the old
    >Motorola 68xx CPUs! ;-)

    A 6850 is a chip used for a serial port.

    Stephen

    Stephen, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Well, the serial port chip sure make my computer run fast, then!

    Actually, it is an E6850 - 3.0GHz, 1333 Mhz FSB

    Lowly Engineer, Aug 10, 2007
  7. "Stephen" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:51:04 +0100, "John Whitworth"
    > <> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
    > out:
    >

    >>"Lowly Engineer" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a 6850 in an ASUS P5B-E. I haven't messed around with it too
    >>> much but it is stable at 3.825 GHz.

    >>I thought that was a windup to start with! I started thinking of the old
    >>Motorola 68xx CPUs! ;-)
    >>

    > A 6850 is a chip used for a serial port.

    I didn't check. It just made me *think* of the 6809 in my old Dragon, and
    all of the 68xx series chips that went with it!

    JW

    John Whitworth, Aug 13, 2007