    problem with our P5DW2's (Bios 1803). Anybody have any idea why the P5B
    won't do it? (We're using the same program on both types.)

    Jim

    Jim Gainsley, Feb 10, 2008

  2. David H. Lipman, Feb 10, 2008

  3. Jim Gainsley

    Jim Gainsley Guest

    Sorry, we are running Win XP Pro SP2 on all machines.

    Jim Gainsley, Feb 11, 2008
  4. David H. Lipman, Feb 11, 2008
  5. Jim Gainsley

    Jim Gainsley Guest

    Jim Gainsley, Feb 11, 2008
  6. From: "Jim Gainsley" <>

    | Yes, the Expanded Memory Specification

    Windows XP does NOT support EMS. EMS was a DOS specification for providing RAM above the
    640K DOS barier and subsequently superceded by the Extended Memory Specification (XMS) RAM.
    You can load DOS drivers to emulate EMS RAM in XMS RAM.

    In any case, EMS RAM is based upon a EMS Memory Card which is an ISA card.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Feb 11, 2008
  7. Jim Gainsley

    Jim Gainsley Guest

    Interesting, but we have no problem with EMS with WinXP Pro on the Asus
    P5DW2-P motherboards. The same program. How do you account for that? No
    additional drivers are loaded of which I'm aware.

    Jim

    Jim Gainsley, Feb 12, 2008
  8. David H. Lipman, Feb 12, 2008
  9. Jim Gainsley

    Jim Gainsley Guest

    We must run an old spreadsheet SuperCalc, which requires EMS and cannot use
    XMS. It runs perfectly on the P5DW2's but not on the P5B's where it only
    show about 100k of lowmem available.

    Any ideas as to how to get it to run on the P5B (without resorting to VPC)
    or more importantly why it doesn't run. At first I thought it might be
    chipset thing, but an Intel fellow said he wasn't aware of any inhibitions.

    Jim

    Jim Gainsley, Feb 12, 2008
  10. From: "Jim Gainsley" <>

    | We must run an old spreadsheet SuperCalc, which requires EMS and cannot use
    | XMS. It runs perfectly on the P5DW2's but not on the P5B's where it only
    | show about 100k of lowmem available.
    |
    | Any ideas as to how to get it to run on the P5B (without resorting to VPC)
    | or more importantly why it doesn't run. At first I thought it might be
    | chipset thing, but an Intel fellow said he wasn't aware of any inhibitions.
    |
    | Jim

    I understand.

    I STILL use Quicken 8 for DOS.

    I use it under Windows 2000 and under Windows XP on my SOHO LAN.

    Under Win2K SP4, the OS emulates EMS and thus I can provide EMS RAM to Quicken.
    I provide 2MB (2048KB) and when I hit "M" (for memory) Quicken shows; EMS v4.0, 2048KB
    total and 656KB available.

    Under WinXP SP2, I have the same memory configuration in the PIF but when I hit "M" (for
    memory) Quicken shows "EMS Memory not present or disabled".

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Feb 12, 2008
  11. Jim Gainsley

    Jim Gainsley Guest

    In my case, it's strictly a question of which motherboard. So perhaps it's
    a chipset thing that the one fellow I spoke didn't know about. What chipset
    do you have?

    I can say for sure that WinXP SP2 is itself EMS compliant, we're running it
    and the spreadsheet on at least 4 P5dw2-p machines. The processors are
    different between the P5D... and P5B machines, but I don't think processors
    care about this issue.

    I think(?) that we ran WinXP on a P4? motherboard also in the beginning
    without a problem.

    Jim

    Jim Gainsley, Feb 15, 2008
  12. From: "Jim Gainsley" <>

    | In my case, it's strictly a question of which motherboard. So perhaps it's
    | a chipset thing that the one fellow I spoke didn't know about. What chipset
    | do you have?
    |
    | I can say for sure that WinXP SP2 is itself EMS compliant, we're running it
    | and the spreadsheet on at least 4 P5dw2-p machines. The processors are
    | different between the P5D... and P5B machines, but I don't think processors
    | care about this issue.
    |
    | I think(?) that we ran WinXP on a P4? motherboard also in the beginning
    | without a problem.
    |
    | Jim

    Please return to the thread in Microsoft's Windows XP General.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Feb 15, 2008