P5Q SE2: How To Relate IDE Controller To Physical Drive?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by (PeteCresswell), Sep 6, 2010.

  1. I just posted the gist of this to
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, then realized that this was
    probably the appropriate forum.

    I am troubleshooting an excessive CPU usage problem on an ASUS
    P5Q-SE2 mobo - almost totally unencumbered by any real knowledge.

    Using Process Explorer I have discovered that Interrupts are
    going out of sight - as in 50% CPU.

    Googling around, I see that a common source of this is Windows
    automatically downgrading a drive from DMA access to PIO because
    of too many errors from the drive.

    I've got six SATA ('data') drives and one IDE ('system') drive.

    I pulled the DVD drive and the Brand-X SATA card it was attached
    to and I pulled the video card so that I *think* all that's left
    are the SATA drives and IDE drive.

    When I go into Device Manager, I see:

    Primary IDE Channel #1 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 5
    Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

    Primary IDE Channel #2 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 5
    Device 1 = Ultra DMA Mode 5

    Primary IDE Channel #3 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 6
    Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

    Secondary IDE Channel #1 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 5
    Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

    Secondary IDE Channel #2 in list: Device 0 = PIO Mode <========
    Device 1 = Ultra DMA Mode 5

    Secondary IDE Channel #3 in list: Device 0 = "Not Applicable"
    Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

    Looking at the mobo (Asus P5Q SE2), it looks to me like there is
    only one IDE connector - laying on it's side at the edge of the
    board.

    Since I have only a single IDE drive, does the above info
    implicate it with no doubt?

    Or could some aspect of the SATA setup be masquerading as a
    "Secondary IDE Channel"?

    Other suggestions?
    --
    PeteCresswell