    Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style
    Mouse Hook-up or just Go through The Award Bios setup to see if
    thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ???? Thanks ,

    stu, Sep 10, 2003

  2. stu

    Ghostrider Guest

    stu wrote:

    > Hello ,anewbie here to this group,but not aNewbie to SUPERMICRO.
    >
    > Ihave an old p5STE that came out of a WIN95 server / with 133 Pentium setup
    >
    > Boots fine but Icannot seem to get aMOUSE working on it
    >
    > Even tried an old Logictech SERIAL mouse, tried inserting Drivers via the Cd-ROM.
    >
    > Now Itook the Old harddrives out and replaced them & tried to install REDHAT LINux 7.3 on a
    > "cleanDrive"
    >
    > Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style Mouse Hook-up or just
    > Go through The Award Bios setup to see if thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ????
    > Thanks ,

    Old motherboard but still usable with a few workarounds. Note that the
    PS/2 mouse header pinouts and adapters back in mid-1990's were not
    "standard". For the PS/2 mouse to work, need the special one that is for
    the P5STE and the P6SNE/F. (SuperMicro may have a worksheet or
    guide in its Knowledge Base.)

    Same applies to the header pinouts/adapters for the serial port but less unique.

    Good substitute for serial mouse or PS/2 mouse is to use a Microsoft In-Port
    (or Bus) mouse.

    Ghostrider, Sep 10, 2003

  3. stu

    stu Guest

    Ghostrider wrote:

    > stu wrote:
    >
    > > Hello ,anewbie here to this group,but not aNewbie to SUPERMICRO.
    > >
    > > Ihave an old p5STE that came out of a WIN95 server / with 133 Pentium setup
    > >
    > > Boots fine but Icannot seem to get aMOUSE working on it
    > >
    > > Even tried an old Logictech SERIAL mouse, tried inserting Drivers via the Cd-ROM.
    > >
    > > Now Itook the Old harddrives out and replaced them & tried to install REDHAT LINux 7.3 on a
    > > "cleanDrive"
    > >
    > > Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style Mouse Hook-up or just
    > > Go through The Award Bios setup to see if thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ????
    > > Thanks ,

    > Old motherboard but still usable with a few workarounds. Note that the
    > PS/2 mouse header pinouts and adapters back in mid-1990's were not
    > "standard". For the PS/2 mouse to work, need the special one that is for
    > the P5STE and the P6SNE/F. (SuperMicro may have a worksheet or
    > guide in its Knowledge Base.)
    >
    > Same applies to the header pinouts/adapters for the serial port but less unique.
    >
    > Good substitute for serial mouse or PS/2 mouse is to use a Microsoft In-Port
    > (or Bus) mouse.

    Thanks ,But what does a BUS mouse hook up to ( not a serial connnection I presume) Is this a
    peripheral that is still available???

    thanks ,sstu

    stu, Sep 11, 2003
  4. stu

    Ghostrider Guest

    stu wrote:

    > Ghostrider wrote:
    >
    > > stu wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello ,anewbie here to this group,but not aNewbie to SUPERMICRO.
    > > >
    > > > Ihave an old p5STE that came out of a WIN95 server / with 133 Pentium setup
    > > >
    > > > Boots fine but Icannot seem to get aMOUSE working on it
    > > >
    > > > Even tried an old Logictech SERIAL mouse, tried inserting Drivers via the Cd-ROM.
    > > >
    > > > Now Itook the Old harddrives out and replaced them & tried to install REDHAT LINux 7.3 on a
    > > > "cleanDrive"
    > > >
    > > > Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style Mouse Hook-up or just
    > > > Go through The Award Bios setup to see if thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ????
    > > > Thanks ,

    > > Old motherboard but still usable with a few workarounds. Note that the
    > > PS/2 mouse header pinouts and adapters back in mid-1990's were not
    > > "standard". For the PS/2 mouse to work, need the special one that is for
    > > the P5STE and the P6SNE/F. (SuperMicro may have a worksheet or
    > > guide in its Knowledge Base.)
    > >
    > > Same applies to the header pinouts/adapters for the serial port but less unique.
    > >
    > > Good substitute for serial mouse or PS/2 mouse is to use a Microsoft In-Port
    > > (or Bus) mouse.

    > Thanks ,But what does a BUS mouse hook up to ( not a serial connnection I presume) Is this a
    > peripheral that is still available???
    >
    > thanks ,sstu

    Bus (or In-Port) mouse plugs into its own peripheral card, typically an
    ISA one. We used them as a workaround for failed i8042 controllers for
    the PS/2 mouse.

    Ghostrider, Sep 11, 2003
  5. stu

    Mojo Guest

    On mine, I have a PS2 to serial connector/adapter between the mouse &
    9 pin serial port. Works fine. Don't think I needed to load any
    drivers.

    Mojo, Jun 19, 2004
  6. stu

    Mojo Guest