    three right wires (all red). God knows if any of my components
    survived, but my question right now is:

    Any idea what caused this?

    Aaron Erimez, Jan 18, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Aaron Erimez <> wrote:

    Haven't seen this on my P6DGH's, but did see this on a SM Pentium Pro
    board caused by different metals on the power supply contacts and the
    motherboard contacts - get corrosion, eventual failure. In my case
    removing the power supply connector on the MB and soldering in a
    replacement (extensions with AT power connectors are easily available,
    think that this is also true for ATX) and the board came up.

    The problem is electrolytic corrosion caused by moisture between two
    dissimilar metals. I was told some time ago that SM made power cable
    externders with gold contacts on one end and tin on the other, but
    I've never enquired.

    Mike Squires
    --

    Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
    mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

    Michael Squires, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Aaron Erimez

    Aaron Erimez Guest

    You were absolutely right, Mike! I repared the connectors from the
    power supply and got the motherboard connector from an old AT board.
    After a little soldering work, everything seems to work fine! I was
    really worried that the system was a total loss, and I can hardly
    believe that after all that damage and re-work everything is fine. So
    thanks again!

    Aaron

    Aaron Erimez, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Aaron Erimez

    Aaron Erimez Guest

    Follow-up: Now that everything is reassembled, it seems that the CPU
    temps are higher than they were before. According to the BIOS, the
    idle CPU temps are about 50 degrees C. Is this an issue?

    Aaron Erimez, Jan 23, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    Aaron Erimez <> wrote:
    >Follow-up: Now that everything is reassembled, it seems that the CPU
    >temps are higher than they were before. According to the BIOS, the
    >idle CPU temps are about 50 degrees C. Is this an issue?

    Rather funny - my daughter's P6DGH died this weekend with the same
    problem.

    Whether or not CPU temps are currently too high by the manufacturer's
    spec is the main issue here. If you made no other changes then I'd
    wonder if the new power connectors had enough lower resistance so
    that CPU power draw was that much higher, but it's just a guess.

    MLS

    Michael Squires, Jan 26, 2004