    that would appear to fit in the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly
    above the CD drawer. I assume the latter is the correct one. Can
    anybody tell me what the large battery does?
    Neil, Jul 30, 2008

  2. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):
    > I bought a used F5275 (approx 4 yrs old) laptop for simple spreadsheet
    > for my work, and so that I can have my customer database in the car.
    > The computer works fine but only on mains voltage so I set about
    > finding a battery and am a little confused. Searching for a battery
    > via ebay / google all that comes up is a large battery (app 10cm x
    > 10cm x 20mm, 11.1v at 4000mAh) that fits inside the computer requiring
    > removal of the base cover. However, if I follow the spares link on the
    > P/Bell website it specifies a slim (approx 5cm x 100cm x 5mm) battery
    > that would appear to fit in the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly
    > above the CD drawer. I assume the latter is the correct one. Can
    > anybody tell me what the large battery does?

    Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without seeing
    anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than the smaller ones.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    BillW50, Jul 30, 2008

  3. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 30 Jul, 18:51, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):
    >
    > > I bought a used F5275 (approx 4 yrs old) laptop for simple spreadsheet
    > > for my work, and so that I can have my customer database in the car.
    > > The computer works fine but only on mains voltage so I set about
    > > finding a battery and am a little confused. Searching for a battery
    > > via ebay / google all that comes up is a large battery (app 10cm x
    > > 10cm x 20mm, 11.1v at 4000mAh) that fits inside the computer requiring
    > > removal of the base cover. However, if I follow the spares link on the
    > > P/Bell website it specifies a slim (approx 5cm x 100cm x 5mm) battery
    > > that would appear to fit in the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly
    > > above the CD drawer. I assume the latter is the correct one. Can
    > > anybody tell me what the large battery does?

    > Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without seeing
    > anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than the smaller ones.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
    > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
    > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)

    Thank you for your reply Bill

    This is a typical UK distributor search
    http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-notebook/packard-bell/easynotef5-battery-adapter-charger.html

    This is P/B website http://store.packardbell.com/Store/ASUK/Orders/basket.php?act=add&pn=A000082100

    Regards, Neil
    Neil, Jul 30, 2008
  4. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Neil typed:
    > On 30 Jul, 18:51, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >> Innews:,
    >> Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):
    >>
    >>> I bought a used F5275 (approx 4 yrs old) laptop for simple
    >>> spreadsheet for my work, and so that I can have my customer
    >>> database in the car. The computer works fine but only on mains
    >>> voltage so I set about finding a battery and am a little confused.
    >>> Searching for a battery via ebay / google all that comes up is a
    >>> large battery (app 10cm x 10cm x 20mm, 11.1v at 4000mAh) that fits
    >>> inside the computer requiring removal of the base cover. However,
    >>> if I follow the spares link on the P/Bell website it specifies a
    >>> slim (approx 5cm x 100cm x 5mm) battery that would appear to fit in
    >>> the (EMPTY) slot in the laptop directly above the CD drawer. I
    >>> assume the latter is the correct one. Can anybody tell me what the
    >>> large battery does?

    >> Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without
    >> seeing anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than
    >> the smaller ones.

    > Thank you for your reply Bill
    >
    > This is a typical UK distributor search
    > http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-notebook/packard-bell/easynotef5-battery-adapter-charger.html
    >
    > This is P/B website
    > http://store.packardbell.com/Store/ASUK/Orders/basket.php?act=add&pn=A000082100
    >
    > Regards, Neil

    Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
    running time.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    BillW50, Jul 30, 2008
  5. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 30 Jul, 19:20, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Neil typed:
    >

    > > On 30 Jul, 18:51, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > >> Innews:,
    > >> Neil typed on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0700 (PDT):

    > >> Do you have links to pictures? Generally speaking though without
    > >> seeing anything. The larger battery allows you to run longer than
    > >> the smaller ones.

    > > Thank you for your reply Bill

    > > This is a typical UK distributor search
    > >http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-notebook/packard-bell/easynotef5-bat...

    > > This is P/B website
    > >http://store.packardbell.com/Store/ASUK/Orders/basket.php?act=add&pn=...

    > > Regards, Neil

    > Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
    > running time.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
    > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
    > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Bill,

    Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
    for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
    internal battery.

    Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - £100
    for the Internal / £50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
    mains inverter instead for £15 and run the mains charger from the car
    lighter socket.

    Thanks very much for your help Bill.
    Neil, Jul 30, 2008
  6. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Neil typed:
    > On 30 Jul, 19:20, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >> Innews:,
    >> Neil typed:

    >>> Thank you for your reply Bill

    >>> This is a typical UK distributor search
    >>> http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-notebook/packard-bell/easynotef5-bat...

    >>> This is P/B website
    >>> http://store.packardbell.com/Store/ASUK/Orders/basket.php?act=add&pn=...

    >>> Regards, Neil

    >> Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
    >> running time.

    > Thanks Bill,
    >
    > Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
    > for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
    > internal battery.
    >
    > Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - £100
    > for the Internal / £50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
    > mains inverter instead for £15 and run the mains charger from the car
    > lighter socket.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help Bill.

    Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the inverter
    can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For battery charges,
    TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great investment. Careful though, 300
    watts draw to output 110VAC will draw about 30 amps from the cigarette
    outlet. And 30 amps is pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most
    vehicles. Drawing more, you should go straight for the battery posts.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    BillW50, Jul 30, 2008
  7. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 30 Jul, 20:12, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Neil typed:
    >

    > > On 30 Jul, 19:20, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > >> Innews:,
    > >> Neil typed:

    > >> Yup, that is what it looks to be. The larger one will give you longer
    > >> running time.

    > > Thanks Bill,

    > > Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
    > > for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
    > > internal battery.

    > > Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - £100
    > > for the Internal / £50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
    > > mains inverter instead for £15 and run the mains charger from the car
    > > lighter socket.

    > > Thanks very much for your help Bill.

    > Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the inverter
    > can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For battery charges,
    > TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great investment. Careful though, 300
    > watts draw to output 110VAC will draw about 30 amps from the cigarette
    > outlet. And 30 amps is pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most
    > vehicles. Drawing more, you should go straight for the battery posts.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
    > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
    > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

    I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
    long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!

    ! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)

    The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)

    The car to mains inverter (below) at £14.99 is 150w

    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218810&criteria=12v MAINS INVERTER&doy=30m7

    I think I should be okay - dont you ?

    Regards, Neil
    Neil, Jul 30, 2008
  8. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 30 Jul, 20:36, Neil <> wrote:
    > On 30 Jul, 20:12, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Innews:,
    > > Neil typed:

    > > > Thanks Bill,

    > > > Presumably the slim (external) one is useful to have in the glove box
    > > > for back up. It's just a bit puzzling as to why P/Bell dont list the
    > > > internal battery.

    > > > Unless I buy a cheap import, these batteries are very expensive - £100
    > > > for the Internal / £50 for the external, so I might buy a 12v - 240v
    > > > mains inverter instead for £15 and run the mains charger from the car
    > > > lighter socket.

    > > > Thanks very much for your help Bill.

    > > Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the inverter
    > > can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For battery charges,
    > > TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great investment. Careful though, 300
    > > watts draw to output 110VAC will draw about 30 amps from the cigarette
    > > outlet. And 30 amps is pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most
    > > vehicles. Drawing more, you should go straight for the battery posts.

    > > --
    > > Bill
    > > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    > > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
    > > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
    > > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

    > I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
    > long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!
    >
    > ! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)
    >
    > The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)
    >
    > The car to mains inverter (below) at £14.99 is 150w
    >
    > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218810&criteria=12v MA....
    >
    > I think I should be okay - dont you ?
    >
    > Regards, Neil- Hide quoted text -

    P.S. UK mains voltage is 240v
    Neil, Jul 30, 2008
  9. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Neil typed:
    > On 30 Jul, 20:36, Neil <> wrote:
    >> On 30 Jul, 20:12, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Innews:,
    >>> Neil typed:

    >>> Yes I too use power inverters too. I like going this route as the
    >>> inverter can be used for far more things than just the laptop. For
    >>> battery charges, TVs, cell phones, etc. They are a great
    >>> investment. Careful though, 300 watts draw to output 110VAC will
    >>> draw about 30 amps from the cigarette outlet. And 30 amps is
    >>> pushing the fuse and the wires to the max on most vehicles. Drawing
    >>> more, you should go straight for the battery posts.

    >> I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
    >> long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!
    >>
    >> ! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)
    >>
    >> The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)
    >>
    >> The car to mains inverter (below) at £14.99 is 150w
    >>
    >> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218810&criteria=12v MA...
    >>
    >> I think I should be okay - dont you ?
    >>
    >> Regards, Neil

    > P.S. UK mains voltage is 240v

    Yes 240v, but watts are watts no matter what the voltage is. Laptops are
    generally 100 watts or less. Yours sounds high, but probably doesn't
    normally draw that much. I have 6 here and they draw under 25 watts actually
    when not charging the battery too. And yes those should be just fine.

    Yes running the battery down is something to think of. Those jump start
    batteries they sell to jump start your car battery has saved my butt more
    than once. ;-)

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    BillW50, Jul 30, 2008
  10. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 30 Jul, 21:09, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Neil  typed:

    > >> I'd not considered the fuse aspect - my concern was forgetting how
    > >> long I'd been on the laptop and not being able to start the car!

    > >> ! Mental note - put jump-leads in the boot (trunk)

    > >> The Laptop & mains charger spec is 19v @ 6.32a (120w)

    > >> The car to mains inverter (below) at £14.99 is 150w

    > >>http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218810&criteria=12v MA...

    > >> I think I should be okay - dont you ?

    > >> Regards, Neil

    > > P.S. UK mains voltage is 240v

    > Yes 240v, but watts are watts no matter what the voltage is. Laptops are
    > generally 100 watts or less. Yours sounds high, but probably doesn't
    > normally draw that much. I have 6 here and they draw under 25 watts actually
    > when not charging the battery too. And yes those should be just fine.
    >
    > Yes running the battery down is something to think of. Those jump start
    > batteries they sell to jump start your car battery has saved my butt more
    > than once. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
    > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
    > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for you help Bill

    In the UK Jump leads are a pair of cables terminated with crocodile*
    clips that attach to the battery posts (car to car)

    * 'gator clip in the US?? :)

    If I forget the leads I'll park on a hill - that saved my butt a few
    times when I've had a dodgy battery!

    Regards, Neil
    Neil, Jul 30, 2008
  11. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Neil typed:
    > Thanks for you help Bill
    >
    > In the UK Jump leads are a pair of cables terminated with crocodile*
    > clips that attach to the battery posts (car to car)
    >
    > * 'gator clip in the US?? :)
    >
    > If I forget the leads I'll park on a hill - that saved my butt a few
    > times when I've had a dodgy battery!
    >
    > Regards, Neil

    Hi Neil! You are quite welcome. Over here we call them jumper cables.
    Although what I am talking about are these things and are better than jumper
    cables. As you don't need to find another car.

    http://www.global-b2b-network.com/b2b/78/11/1284/240975/jump_starter.html

    Over here most cars have automatic transmissions and hills no longer work
    sadly enough. :-(

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    BillW50, Jul 31, 2008
  12. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 31 Jul, 13:47, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Neil typed:
    >
    > > Thanks for you help Bill

    > > In the UK Jump leads are a pair of cables terminated with crocodile*
    > > clips that attach to the battery posts (car to car)

    > > * 'gator clip in the US?? :)

    > > If I forget the leads I'll park on a hill - that saved my butt a few
    > > times when I've had a dodgy battery!

    > > Regards, Neil

    > Hi Neil! You are quite welcome. Over here we call them jumper cables.
    > Although what I am talking about are these things and are better than jumper
    > cables. As you don't need to find another car.
    >
    > http://www.global-b2b-network.com/b2b/78/11/1284/240975/jump_starter....
    >
    > Over here most cars have automatic transmissions and hills no longer work
    > sadly enough. :-(
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
    > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
    > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)

    Hi Bill

    I bought a 12v inverter for £15 and it works great. The engine has to
    be on for the cigar lighter to work so there's no chance flattening
    the car battery - but I will have to keep an eye on the fuel gauge!!
    Now I've had the laptop a week I note the internal Li Ion battery
    meter (Control Panel > Power..) has increased from virtually flat to
    52% but it wont start without mains power. Do you think the battery is
    u/s? if so does the trick of putting it in the freezer for 24 hours
    really work and is it possible to use a laptop on mains supply without
    an internal battery connected? Thanks in anticipation. Neil
    Neil, Aug 6, 2008
  13. Neil

    Neil Guest

    On 6 Aug, 19:51, Neil <> wrote:
    > On 31 Jul, 13:47, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Innews:,
    > > Neil typed:

    > > > Thanks for you help Bill

    > > > In the UK Jump leads are a pair of cables terminated with crocodile*
    > > > clips that attach to the battery posts (car to car)

    > > > * 'gator clip in the US?? :)

    > > > If I forget the leads I'll park on a hill - that saved my butt a few
    > > > times when I've had a dodgy battery!

    > > > Regards, Neil

    > > Hi Neil! You are quite welcome. Over here we call them jumper cables.
    > > Although what I am talking about are these things and are better than jumper
    > > cables. As you don't need to find another car.

    > >http://www.global-b2b-network.com/b2b/78/11/1284/240975/jump_starter....

    > > Over here most cars have automatic transmissions and hills no longer work
    > > sadly enough. :-(

    > > --
    > > Bill
    > > Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)
    > > MX6124 (laptop) w/2GB
    > > Windows XP Home SP2 (120GB HD)
    > > Intel(r) 910GML (64MB shared)

    > Hi Bill
    >
    > I bought a 12v inverter for £15 and it works great. The engine has to
    > be on for the cigar lighter to work so there's no chance flattening
    > the car battery - but I will have to keep an eye on the fuel gauge!!
    > Now I've had the laptop a week I note the internal Li Ion battery
    > meter (Control Panel > Power..) has increased from virtually flat to
    > 52% but it wont start without mains power. Do you think the battery is
    > u/s? if so does the trick of putting it in the freezer for 24 hours
    > really work and is it possible to use a laptop on mains supply without
    > an internal battery connected? Thanks in anticipation. Neil- Hide quoted text -

    It suddenly went up to 99% - when I rebooted it dropped back to 7%
    Neil, Aug 6, 2008
  14. Neil

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Neil typed:
    > On 6 Aug, 19:51, Neil <> wrote:
    >> On 31 Jul, 13:47, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Innews:,
    >>> Neil typed:

    >>> Hi Neil! You are quite welcome. Over here we call them jumper
    >>> cables. Although what I am talking about are these things and are
    >>> better than jumper cables. As you don't need to find another car.

    >>> http://www.global-b2b-network.com/b2b/78/11/1284/240975/jump_starter....

    >>> Over here most cars have automatic transmissions and hills no
    >>> longer work sadly enough. :-(

    >> Hi Bill
    >>
    >> I bought a 12v inverter for £15 and it works great. The engine has to
    >> be on for the cigar lighter to work so there's no chance flattening
    >> the car battery - but I will have to keep an eye on the fuel gauge!!
    >> Now I've had the laptop a week I note the internal Li Ion battery
    >> meter (Control Panel > Power..) has increased from virtually flat to
    >> 52% but it wont start without mains power. Do you think the battery
    >> is
    >> u/s? if so does the trick of putting it in the freezer for 24 hours
    >> really work and is it possible to use a laptop on mains supply
    >> without
    >> an internal battery connected? Thanks in anticipation. Neil- Hide
    >> quoted text -

    > It suddenly went up to 99% - when I rebooted it dropped back to 7%

    Sounds like a battery near dead to me. I don't like having a battery in this
    state in my laptops. As they seem to draw more power (trying to charge the
    battery which won't take it) and creating more heat. Sticking it in the
    freezer isn't going to help IMHO. And yes, by all means run without the
    battery. The only worry there is some laptops can lose connection very easy.
    Most of mine are solid as a rock and not a problem. Although brand new four
    hour batteries are very cheap on eBay for my laptops. About $35 actually and
    they have the Gateway logo too on them. So I think they are original as
    well.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)