Packard Bell riser card on eBay

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Robert E. Watts, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. Robert E. Watts, Mar 26, 2008

  2. Robert E. Watts

    mc Guest

    thanks bob, this is the one I need....i'm a bit concerned about using
    paypal though after what happened to my friends....
    mc

    mc, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Robert E. Watts

    AWM Guest

    thanks philo, I posted a question to see if the seller would accept another
    form of payment
    mc

    AWM, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Hi mc

    "mc" <> wrote in message
    > thanks bob, this is the one I need....

    No problem.
    I quit posting these, 'cause I thought you already had one.

    i'm a bit concerned about using
    > paypal though after what happened to my friends....
    > mc

    Don't know what happened to your friends, but Paypal *is* your safest bet.
    And about the only payment method where you can do "something" if anything
    goes wrong.

    bob
    Robert E. Watts, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Robert E. Watts

    AWM Guest

    > Don't know what happened to your friends, but Paypal *is* your safest bet.
    > And about the only payment method where you can do "something" if anything
    > goes wrong.
    >
    > bob

    thats how I understood it also, but apparently this was an inside ID theft
    issue and paypal was not very diplomatic or apologetic and another incident
    wiped out a retired neighbors life savings...
    mc
    AWM, Mar 27, 2008
  6. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    This is true. When you set up a PayPal account, you have to provide bank
    account and credit card number information as backup so you can pay something
    that is automatically deducted like PayPal's own fees, eBay seller fees, etc.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 27, 2008
  7. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    However, if some hacker cracked one or more PayPal accounts without help from
    the PayPal account holder, PayPal would be on the hook, just like TJ Maxx,
    Hanneford Bros, and all the brick and mortar banks who let personal data get
    stolen. Methinks that the person who lost his life savings probably "helped"
    the thieves by allowing some software to sneak in a grab his personal data from
    his own computer. I sure would like to hear more, but from the person who lost
    his "life savings". It does no good to repeat unsubstantiated urban myths
    without laying out the facts... Ben

    Ben Myers, Mar 27, 2008
  8. Robert E. Watts

    AWM Guest

    Stories are true, the one who lost his savings is also on the verge of
    losing his home. My other friends are considering a suit so I am not able to
    elaborate...
    mc
    AWM, Mar 27, 2008
  9. Robert E. Watts

    AWM Guest

    the seller is not willing to sell by any other payment than paypal...so
    I'll sit this one out..
    mc
    AWM, Mar 27, 2008
  10. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Maybe. But my point is that PayPal is neither more safe nor less safe than any
    other on-line or off-line system for collecting and disbursing money. Not safer
    than a credit card. Not less safe either. Bank accounts, accounts with stock
    brokers, etc.

    If the folks have a legitimate case, a clever but expensive lawyer will be
    willing to take on the case, and win it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 28, 2008
  11. Robert E. Watts

    metronid Guest

    On Mar 27, 5:14 pm, "AWM" <> wrote:
    >  the seller is not willing to sell  by any other payment than paypal....so
    > I'll sit this one out..
    > mc

    Just for the record I sell on Ebay all the time.
    Paypal is great you are guaranteed a refund if the item does not track
    to your house.
    Do you need a credit card or bank account to set up an account.
    Yes you do unless you opened one up at the beginning

    You can tie it to any bank account you desire.
    I have mine tied into one that never has more than 100 dollars.
    I also have one tied to no account and can only use it to make a
    purchase
    and must send cash from my other account.

    If the item is payable with paypal you can also use your standard
    credit card and create
    a one time credit card # with just the amount of the sale.

    This particular item is not one that I would buy
    It is not tested and comes with no guarantee
    Seller clearly states he does not know it it works
    metronid, Mar 28, 2008
  12. Robert E. Watts

    metronid Guest

    On Mar 27, 10:15 pm, metronid <> wrote:
    > On Mar 27, 5:14 pm, "AWM" <> wrote:
    >
    > >  the seller is not willing to sell  by any other payment than paypal....so
    > > I'll sit this one out..
    > > mc

    > Just for the record I sell on Ebay all the time.
    > Paypal is great you are guaranteed a refund if the item does not track
    > to your house.
    > Do you need a credit card or bank account to set up an account.
    > Yes you do unless you opened one up at the beginning
    >
    > You can tie it to any bank account you desire.
    > I have mine tied into one that never has more than 100 dollars.
    > I also have one tied to no account and can only use it to make a
    > purchase
    > and must send cash from my other account.
    >
    > If the item is payable with paypal you can also  use your standard
    > credit card and create
    > a one time credit card # with just the amount of the sale.
    >
    > This particular item is not one that I would buy
    > It is not tested and comes with no guarantee
    > Seller clearly states he does not know it it works

    If you want me to purchase it for you
    let me know
    you can pay me later
    I will have to reship it but it looks like an 8 oz item packed
    I can look and just know as I have said
    I sell all the time
    metronid, Mar 28, 2008
  13. Robert E. Watts

    Elector Guest

    "metronid" <> wrote in message
    On Mar 27, 5:14 pm, "AWM" <> wrote:
    > the seller is not willing to sell by any other payment than paypal...so
    > I'll sit this one out..
    > mc

    Just for the record I sell on Ebay all the time.
    Paypal is great you are guaranteed a refund if the item does not track
    to your house.
    Do you need a credit card or bank account to set up an account.
    Yes you do unless you opened one up at the beginning

    You can tie it to any bank account you desire.
    I have mine tied into one that never has more than 100 dollars.
    I also have one tied to no account and can only use it to make a
    purchase
    and must send cash from my other account.

    If the item is payable with paypal you can also use your standard
    credit card and create
    a one time credit card # with just the amount of the sale.

    This particular item is not one that I would buy
    It is not tested and comes with no guarantee
    Seller clearly states he does not know it it works

    That is correct, that is the way I set it up years ago. Another nice feature
    is the ability to use a bogus credit card number for a one time transcation
    (Like my AMEX card provides) which is valid for a purchase but keeps my
    "personal card number private" so if something goes wrong Amex takes the
    hit.

    I noted that some other Credit Card companies are also giving this ability
    (Chase & CitiCorp)

    I normally buy on Ebay and do not sell and I have never in many years had a
    problem with a seller. Maybe I have been lucky.

    Elector
    Elector, Mar 28, 2008
  14. IT'S A 99¢ ITEM !

    Hi Gang !

    "Elector" <> wrote in message

    > This particular item is not one that I would buy
    > It is not tested and comes with no guarantee
    > Seller clearly states he does not know it it works

    Oh come on. When was the last time you saw a riser card fail ?

    And so what........ it's currently a 99¢ item, with $6.17 shipping.

    If you can't afford to pay THAT for your hobby, you're in the wrong line of
    fun.

    :)

    bobwatts

    --
    boBWatts®©
    EartH
    Robert E. Watts, Mar 28, 2008
  15. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: IT'S A 99¢ ITEM !

    I had one fail when I ran over it with my car. Does that count? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 28, 2008
  16. Re: IT'S A 99¢ ITEM !

    Hi Ben !

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    >I had one fail when I ran over it with my car. Does that count? ... Ben
    >Myers

    Yes, that DOES count. :)

    Curious about the circumstances.

    I'll bet that if the riser had been out of an IBM PS/2 it would have been
    undamaged. Probably would have hurt the tire.

    bob
    Robert E. Watts, Mar 29, 2008
  17. Robert E. Watts

    metronid Guest

    Re: IT'S A 99¢ ITEM !

    On Mar 28, 8:28 pm, "Robert E. Watts" <> wrote:
    > Hi Ben !
    >
    > "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    > >I had one fail when I ran over it with my car.  Does that count?  ...Ben
    > >Myers

    > Yes, that DOES count.  :)
    >
    > Curious about the circumstances.
    >
    > I'll bet that if the riser had been out of an IBM PS/2 it would have been
    > undamaged. Probably would have hurt the tire.
    >
    > bob

    Safe or not safe
    Even condoms break
    Birth control pills have a failure rate
    In any case
    This seller only takes paypal

    if you do not want to use it
    do not buy it
    he is forcing no one

    I myself only accept paypal on my auctions
    I like the instant money

    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...e2006&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK:ME:UFS
    metronid, Mar 29, 2008
  18. Robert E. Watts

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: IT'S A 99¢ ITEM !

    Instant money generally means quick shipment, or faster than sending a check,
    the seller waits for it to clear, and then ships... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 29, 2008
  19. Robert E. Watts

    AWM Guest

    thanks for the info metronoid and elector, I was not aware you could set up
    an account this way...
    mc
    AWM, Mar 29, 2008
  20. Robert E. Watts

    AWM Guest

    Re: IT'S A 99¢ ITEM !

    Ok Bob thats not fair...my card failed when I was dumb enough to bend the
    pins..but then again I may have damaged my pb 600 MB..
    mc
    AWM, Mar 29, 2008