    to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much higher level?

    Regards

    Vin.

    vinny33, Dec 14, 2003

  2. vinny33

    Anthony Guest

    "vinny33" <> wrote in message
    news:Nc0Db.1010$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a packardbell pulsar 300,Intel Pentium 3 450MHz,128 MB RAM 20 GB

    hard
    > drive, the problem i keep having is that my system resources keeps

    dropping
    > to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much higher level?
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > Vin.

    I am gonna guess that you have a lot of stuff running in the background, and
    that is chewing up system resources. I would suggest starting from scratch.

    Backup any data you want to keep (eg. Favorites, address book, saved data)
    and do a format and restore of the OS.

    Regards,
    Anthony

    Anthony, Dec 14, 2003

  3. vinny33

    Helen Guest

    "Anthony" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "vinny33" <> wrote in message
    : news:Nc0Db.1010$...
    : > Hi
    : >
[...]

    I suggest none of the above, but rather emptying the Start-up
    file. Get a copy of EndItAll and run it. Empty temp files
    and recycle bin. It will close down all those applications
    except IE (and a few others..but you can close them if you
    wish). Then run scandisk, then defrag. This may take about
    an hour, depending on when it was last defragged. After these
    then reboot and check it out. ALTERNATIVELY, try this:
    Start/Run type in
    msconfig. Go to the Starup Tab .. and UNcheck EVERYTHING
    EXCEPT systray and rundll.. there may be two copies of each.
    If so, then leave them checked. Save, reboot.

    Helen

    Helen, Dec 15, 2003
  4. vinny33

    Elector Guest

    "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

    > "Anthony" <> wrote in message
    > :
    > : "vinny33" <> wrote in message
    > : news:Nc0Db.1010$...
    > : > Hi
    > : >
    > : > I have a packardbell pulsar 300,Intel Pentium 3 450MHz,128
    > MB RAM 20 GB
    > : hard
    > : > drive, the problem i keep having is that my system
    > resources keeps
    > : dropping
    > : > to under 50%.How can i increase my resources to a much
    > higher level?
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > Regards
    > : >
    > : > Vin.
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : I am gonna guess that you have a lot of stuff running in the
    > background, and
    > : that is chewing up system resources. I would suggest
    > starting from scratch.
    > :
    > : Backup any data you want to keep (eg. Favorites, address
    > book, saved data)
    > : and do a format and restore of the OS.
    > :
    > : Regards,
    > : Anthony
    > :
    > :
    >
    > I suggest none of the above, but rather emptying the Start-up
    > file. Get a copy of EndItAll and run it. Empty temp files
    > and recycle bin. It will close down all those applications
    > except IE (and a few others..but you can close them if you
    > wish). Then run scandisk, then defrag. This may take about
    > an hour, depending on when it was last defragged. After these
    > then reboot and check it out. ALTERNATIVELY, try this:
    > Start/Run type in
    > msconfig. Go to the Starup Tab .. and UNcheck EVERYTHING
    > EXCEPT systray and rundll.. there may be two copies of each.
    > If so, then leave them checked. Save, reboot.
    >
    > Helen

    Hi Vin:

    ALTERNATIVELY: It is a known Microsoft Knowledge base article on how
    the system uses memory and retains it. It is I believe a simple fix
    here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259161&Product=w98
    Microsoft also gives the option of you having their trouble shooter
    page diagnose the situation. However I am not sure how it works. Much
    of what was said above is covered in the article.

    To expand on Anthony's answer many computer trade magazines and
    companies recommend that a user back up files and format and restore
    when the system gets to cluttered with junk or excess programs. You
    could spend more money on external programs or format and restore to
    like new for no money what so ever. However the process is not always
    fool proof and you may want to just do as Microsoft states to do. The
    decision is of course up to you.

    I Hope I helped?

    Elector

    Elector, Dec 16, 2003
  5. vinny33

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, Elector, you've hit upon the real issue here. The right action to take
    depends on the value of the owner's data and installed programs. If the owner
    has backed up necessary data, chalk up one for a reformat and reinstall. If the
    owner has ALL the media to reload his/her installed software, chalk up another
    vote for a reinstall. If the owner does not have the backup data and program
    media, two choices are possible. One is to use all the various cleanup tools
    and procedures in an attempt to get the system right again. The other is to put
    the machine in the hands of a qualified professional who will charge a lot of
    money to do it all right.

    The sad truth is that many older computer programs do not have the right type of
    storage media to do a backup easily, reliably and conveniently. Diskettes? Ha!
    I can't blame someone for not backing up if the system has only a diskette drive
    in addition to the hard drive. ZIP drives? Well, a little better if one sets
    aside the "click of death" phenomenon that plagues them. But 100MB or even
    250MB is not much for backup. The best choice for backup on a single computer
    may well be a CD burner. Mirror imaging with another disk drive works well,
    too. But people often think of these things when it is too late to take
    reasoned and methodical action. And, sheesh, the name brand computer companies
    are so busy selling boxes by undercutting on price, that the run-of-the-mill
    buyer never gets educated on the costs and benefits of backup.

    End of rant... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 16, 2003
  6. vinny33

    Elector Guest

    > Yes, Elector, you've hit upon the real issue here. The right action to

    take
    > depends on the value of the owner's data and installed programs. If the

    owner
    > has backed up necessary data, chalk up one for a reformat and reinstall.

    If the
    > owner has ALL the media to reload his/her installed software, chalk up

    another
    > vote for a reinstall. If the owner does not have the backup data and

    program
    > media, two choices are possible. One is to use all the various cleanup

    tools
    > and procedures in an attempt to get the system right again. The other is

    to put
    > the machine in the hands of a qualified professional who will charge a lot

    of
    > money to do it all right.
    >
    > The sad truth is that many older computer programs do not have the right

    type of
    > storage media to do a backup easily, reliably and conveniently.

    Diskettes? Ha!
    > I can't blame someone for not backing up if the system has only a diskette

    drive
    > in addition to the hard drive. ZIP drives? Well, a little better if one

    sets
    > aside the "click of death" phenomenon that plagues them. But 100MB or

    even
    > 250MB is not much for backup. The best choice for backup on a single

    computer
    > may well be a CD burner. Mirror imaging with another disk drive works

    well,
    > too. But people often think of these things when it is too late to take
    > reasoned and methodical action. And, sheesh, the name brand computer

    companies
    > are so busy selling boxes by undercutting on price, that the

    run-of-the-mill
    > buyer never gets educated on the costs and benefits of backup.
    >
    > End of rant... Ben Myers

    Often the cost of back ups is that it gives a sense of "protection" in
    everyday use the backups are worthless since many times the data backed up
    no longer matches the system information. Another little neat device that
    now holds around 1-4 GB is the USB thumb drives. I have multiple 256MB
    devices for assorted programs that are needed if a system were to
    malfunction. I love them.

    But you are correct that the smaller and less powerful or older systems are
    not worth that time and effort.

    Elector

    Elector, Dec 16, 2003