Partitioning Thinkpad T30 and Install Win XP Pro with BartPE

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dwn, Apr 28, 2010.

  1. dwn

    dwn Guest

    Hi Bill,

    I finally installed T30 with two partitions. You certainly helped alot. You were
    wise to advise me to save the i386 ("C" drive and hidden partition). First, I
    tried using CMD DOS to execute Winnt32 and Winnt, "File was older than what was
    installed.†In desperation, I used Dell Recovery CD. It works! My joy was short
    lived, as I starting installing drivers, including MS Security Essential, MS
    indicate XP Pro illegal. Earlier, I used Keyfinder saved the Product key from
    the original Preload. I also found from the web how to changed the product key
    in registry. I changed it, still Illegal. I use the product key from underneath
    the T30, also illegal. Now I am back to square one. I had tried everything you
    suggested. I decided to try BartPE created earlier. Previously, think a useless
    piece of junk. What do you know, it installed the older i386 files? I partition
    "C" and "D.†drives. Installed XP Pro and MS Update loads drivers. This process
    took about 1-1/2 day. ADSL via wireless was extremely slow. No sweat, I kept on
    going.

    The i386 dated 2002, I had to update the Service packs and stopped at Service
    Pack 2. In the process of updating, it also installed many IBM's drivers I
    installed earlier, they were incorrect (from Lenovon website). The Thinkpad now
    runs faster, but T30 old USB 1,00. ports and wireless connection from the ADSL
    are much slower than direct wire connects.

    Finally, I like to thank you for your advice (which I repeatedly went back read
    and try out the process). I am also glad I have another running computer beside
    me to search drivers I need or things I don't understand. YouTube steps by step
    help me to create BartPE. CD.

    Now, I have a few questions:

    1 - How to overcome the "Files that is older than the ones you are replacing..."
    when executing from CMD Dos prompt, beside using BartPE?

    2 - Why the Product key from the bottom T30 is illegal?

    3 - Can replace two 256MB memory, with 2X1Gb, PC 2700 SODIMM Non ECC 333 MHz 200
    pins DDR SDRAM?

    4 - Will 333MHz work or use 266MHz on #3?

    Thank You again :)

    dwn, Apr 28, 2010

  2. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:39:49 -0500, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    snip for brevity..

    >Using DOS, you need to run Winnt.exe only. Winnt32.exe is the one you
    >use if you boot up Windows 2000/XP or BartPE. And you shouldn't get the
    >older than installed error if you run one of these files. Although this
    >error is very common if you run Setup.exe instead.

    I tried a few times, each:
    - Win98 bootup - failed
    - Safe mode Dos Prompt CMD - failed
    - In WinXP winnt32 - failed
    Each time the same "Files that is older....replacing..." on screen and
    unable to tick to install it. I searched for solution at various forum
    and cannot get answer. I must have missed something somewhere
    along the way. All the time I did not think of using BartPE, which took
    me so much time to create.

    snip..

    >Yes, there are many different keys. There are OEM keys that only work on
    >OEM installs and there are retail keys that only work on retail
    >installs. And I have a feeling there are different OEM keys as well.
    >Such as a Dell key may not work on a Gateway for example.

    You are correct, I always thought MS check the hardware's to validate. I
    even use the key from the bottom Dell laptop.

    ..snip

    >Good thing you made a copy of those files and made a BartPE disc eh?

    Yes, while I failed to read and follow your other suggestions carefully.
    I did on this one and further I saved the key too, otherwise I would have
    no where to go, but buy an OEM XP PRO.

    ...snip

    >> 1 - How to overcome the "Files that is older than the ones you are
    >> replacing..." when executing from CMD Dos prompt, beside using BartPE?

    >DOS should have worked with Winnt.exe. You could have deleted the
    >Windows folder and that should workaround any of those errors anyway.

    I could not see "C" drive in CMD DOS dot prompt. Do you mean
    using BartPE, I could delete "C" drive? I will check it with the BartPE
    later.

    snip..

    >> 3 - Can replace two 256MB memory, with 2X1Gb, PC 2700 SODIMM Non ECC
    >> 333 MHz 200 pins DDR SDRAM?
    >>
    >> 4 - Will 333MHz work or use 266MHz on #3?

    snip..

    >Others who are more experienced with your model and memory should come
    >forward and help you here. One thing which helps a lot is going to a
    >major memory manufacture's website and to look up your make and model
    >and they will list what kind of memory you can use with it.

    I email a major seller at Ebay, his reply you can install only 1Gb but did not
    comfirm, will 333MHz work in place of 266MHz? further, I found many users
    had indeed successfully run with 2Bg. (see below for detail on Lenovo PC2700)

    I need to be sure before installing 2Bg (333MHZ). The questions, should I
    spending anymore, I still have a Dell D600. T30 is only a backup. Come
    Nov. Black Friday buy a reliable, cheapest and fastest laptop under $500
    and sell the T30. (you wanna advice now?) What do you think?

    Lenovo website on T30 2366 96U.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-53094.html

    (see below)

    Performance specifications as known at time of announcement

    PC2700 CL2.5 Non-Parity DDR SDRAM memory upgrades: The '2700' is derived from
    2.5 times the front-side bus clock frequency (133 MHz x 2; data transfers can
    occur on both edges of the clock) times the module data width (64 bits / 8
    bits/byte = 8 bytes) = 2667, rounded = 2700. This is the maximum data rate, the
    units are Mbps.

    .. Non-parity mode organized as 16Mx64, 32Mx64, and 64Mx64 respectively.
    .. Serial presence detect/decode.
    .. 200-pin JEDEC/JEDIA standard SODIMM interface.
    .. Gold-plated leads.

    more....

    NOTES:
    When installed in some X Series models, memory will operate at PC2100 speed.
    The 1GB PC2700 CL2.5 Non-Parity DDR SDRAM SODIMM Memory Upgrades are supported
    on other systems that support industry-standard DDR SDRAM to the PC2700
    specification.

    dwn, Apr 29, 2010

  3. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:37:50 -0500, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >Oh I almost forgot. Upgrading XP to SP2 or possibly SP3 never worked
    >right for me. As the computer got really sluggish. I did like 5 SP2
    >upgrades and all the same thing on many different makes and models.
    >Everybody else (well most everybody) said it worked fine for them. So I
    >don't know, maybe they just can't see the sluggishness and I can or
    >whatever.

    I encounter the same sluggishness, while updating and installing drivers, before
    SP1a after a few reboot, the sluggishness disappeared. I don't have the
    slightest idea what I did. I stopped at SP2, because SP3 cause my computer to
    act strangely. I want to make a mirror image of "C" drive, before updating SP3.
    Should I find it unacceptable, I can start all again with SP2 and select the
    update I want in SP3.

    >What works great for me is to take XP install with SP2 included. Then it
    >works quick and snappy. I should downgrade one of my computers here and
    >take another look at it. As the computers that I upgraded to SP2 already
    >had tons of security patches and installs and it always ran sluggish for
    >me. I never tried the original XP release ('02 era) and jumped straight
    >to SP2. That might actually work just as well.

    Dell recovery includes SP2 that is why I never had any problems. Don't try 2002
    eras, with a slow computer and wireless ADSL modem take days not hours!

    I still have tons of unanswer questions. Remember, I told you I use Dell
    recovery CD to reinstall and because of the illegal key, I used BartPE? Somehow,
    after everything done, I found in "C" drive remains a Dell Folder with some
    files in it. I thought, BartPE formatted and reinstalled i380 from scratch, am I
    missing something here and can delete it?

    Another question, I plan to use Acronis to create a mirror image drive. I tried
    once using a 200Gb external HD and did not turn out well. The T30 HD is 40Gb. I
    have with me two spare HD 140Gb and 200Gb. Can I make an image using DVD (4.7Gb)
    or DVDdl (8.5Gb) instead?

    Thanks again. I really appreciate. :)

    dwn, Apr 29, 2010
  4. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:05:59 +0300, John Doue <> wrote:

    snip..

    >Performance-wise, I do not recall having noticed any difference between
    >SP2 and SP3. What I believe can actually make a huge difference is
    >installing or not Windows updates.

    I have playing T30 with it for past two days, beside my other Dell laptop with
    SP3 installed. I cannot see any difference. What I experienced from the past
    with both Dell D600 and T30 both with SP3 installed. I blindly agree with
    automatic updates, including messenger, Silver(?), Framework, search and others.
    It took me days and weeks to removed these trash from both computers that I have
    no use, nor do know what it is for. Than one fine day, the T30 comes to a
    crawling speed. That is when I decided to clean it up. Now both computers are
    not setups for automatic updates. I will continue manually check updates, before
    agreeing to it. The only softwares I prevent from installing is IE 8.

    >This is a very disputed issue. At first, I decided not to update my
    >machines ... and I think I should have just done that. But one day, I
    >got convinced it was smarter to update them and I did. Without any
    >actual proof of it, I believe that, in terms of performance, it is
    >better not to.
    >
    >Now, knowing that reinstalling from scratch and customizing Windows to
    >my liking (it is amazing how you can become dependant on a given
    >arrangement which you think works fine for you ... I am a creature of
    >habit...) would take several days and be frustrating, I guess I will
    >keep things as they are now and will continue relying of my NAT router,
    >firewall and spam utilities to protect me ...
    >
    >Lastly, I would not try to downgrade back to SP2. I believe it would be
    >a waste of time, and SP3 brought important changes in networking (don't
    >ask me which, I totally forgot) you do not want to remove. Just my two
    >cents ...

    Good advice, I too might just keep going with my current T30, SP2.
    I am preparing to clean install the Dell D600, but only after I find out exactly
    how to set up the wireless ADSL modem and the other T30 behave as
    it should. Email is the cheapest way of keeping contact with my love ones.
    (desperate time need to watch every cents going out). :)

    dwn, Apr 29, 2010
  5. dwn

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    dwn typed on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 06:35:19 -0700:
    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > I finally installed T30 with two partitions. You certainly helped
    > alot.

    You are quite welcome. That is what we are here for. ;-)

    > You were wise to advise me to save the i386 ("C" drive and
    > hidden partition). First, I tried using CMD DOS to execute Winnt32
    > and Winnt, "File was older than what was installed."

    Using DOS, you need to run Winnt.exe only. Winnt32.exe is the one you
    use if you boot up Windows 2000/XP or BartPE. And you shouldn't get the
    older than installed error if you run one of these files. Although this
    error is very common if you run Setup.exe instead.

    > In desperation, I used Dell Recovery CD. It works!

    I have one Dell and that is what I hear from others. But only some Dell
    Recovery CDs works on other makes of computers. So it is hit or miss I
    guess.

    > My joy was short lived, as I starting installing drivers, including MS
    > Security Essential, MS indicate XP Pro illegal. Earlier, I used
    > Keyfinder saved the Product key from the original Preload. I also
    > found from the web how to changed the product key in registry. I
    > changed it, still Illegal. I use the product key from underneath the
    > T30, also illegal. Now I am back to square one. I had tried everything
    > you suggested.

    Yes, there are many different keys. There are OEM keys that only work on
    OEM installs and there are retail keys that only work on retail
    installs. And I have a feeling there are different OEM keys as well.
    Such as a Dell key may not work on a Gateway for example.

    > I decided to try BartPE created earlier. Previously, think a useless
    > piece of junk. What do you know, it installed the older i386 files? I
    > partition "C" and "D." drives. Installed XP Pro and MS Update loads
    > drivers. This process took about 1-1/2 day. ADSL via wireless was
    > extremely slow. No sweat, I kept on going.

    Good thing you made a copy of those files and made a BartPE disc eh?

    > The i386 dated 2002, I had to update the Service packs and stopped at
    > Service Pack 2. In the process of updating, it also installed many
    > IBM's drivers I installed earlier, they were incorrect (from Lenovon
    > website). The Thinkpad now runs faster, but T30 old USB 1,00. ports
    > and wireless connection from the ADSL are much slower than direct
    > wire connects.
    >
    > Finally, I like to thank you for your advice (which I repeatedly went
    > back read and try out the process). I am also glad I have another
    > running computer beside me to search drivers I need or things I don't
    > understand. YouTube steps by step help me to create BartPE. CD.
    >
    > Now, I have a few questions:
    >
    > 1 - How to overcome the "Files that is older than the ones you are
    > replacing..." when executing from CMD Dos prompt, beside using BartPE?

    DOS should have worked with Winnt.exe. You could have deleted the
    Windows folder and that should workaround any of those errors anyway.

    > 2 - Why the Product key from the bottom T30 is illegal?

    Well it isn't an illegal key really. Just the keys might not work and
    deemed illegal with other Windows install CDs.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Apr 29, 2010
  6. dwn

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hrcjq7$heq$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:39:49 -0500:

    BillW50, Apr 30, 2010
  7. dwn

    John Doue Guest

    On 4/30/2010 3:37 AM, BillW50 wrote:

    snip
    > I never tried the original XP release ('02 era) and jumped straight
    > to SP2. That might actually work just as well.

    It does Bill. Never had a problem here ... with the right Windows Key
    :). I did it years ago when I wanted to install XP Pro to replace the
    version which came with my R51. The problems I faced were more related
    to IBM specific hardware drivers than to XP.

    John Doue, Apr 30, 2010
  8. dwn

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hre30t$9oc$-september.org,
    John Doue typed on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:05:59 +0300:
    > On 4/30/2010 3:37 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >> I never tried the original XP release ('02 era) and jumped straight
    >> to SP2. That might actually work just as well.

    > It does Bill. Never had a problem here ... with the right Windows Key
    > :). I did it years ago when I wanted to install XP Pro to replace the
    > version which came with my R51. The problems I faced were more related
    > to IBM specific hardware drivers than to XP.
    >
    > Performance-wise, I do not recall having noticed any difference
    > between SP2 and SP3. What I believe can actually make a huge
    > difference is installing or not Windows updates.
    >
    > This is a very disputed issue. At first, I decided not to update my
    > machines ... and I think I should have just done that. But one day, I
    > got convinced it was smarter to update them and I did. Without any
    > actual proof of it, I believe that, in terms of performance, it is
    > better not to.
    >
    > Now, knowing that reinstalling from scratch and customizing Windows to
    > my liking (it is amazing how you can become dependant on a given
    > arrangement which you think works fine for you ... I am a creature of
    > habit...) would take several days and be frustrating, I guess I will
    > keep things as they are now and will continue relying of my NAT
    > router, firewall and spam utilities to protect me ...
    >
    > Lastly, I would not try to downgrade back to SP2. I believe it would
    > be a waste of time, and SP3 brought important changes in networking
    > (don't ask me which, I totally forgot) you do not want to remove.
    > Just my two cents ...

    Hello John! It has been many years since I ran a machine without XP SP2
    or SP3. And I have enough machines here to experiment. So it is very
    tempting to give it a shot and check the performance.

    I did this abut a year ago with Windows 2000. Although I slip streamed
    it to SP4 right away. But it did well and it was only 700MB in size
    installed. It was all of the security updates that pushed it up another
    2GB I believe. I was surprised, it did really well IMHO. Although some
    of the newer applications require XP SP2 or greater. So that was the
    downside of that experiment.

    Some of my XP computers have SP2 and some with SP3. And I can't see any
    difference as far as the user end is concern. No performance difference
    or anything. Supposedly OE6 automatic compacting will hang on the
    folder.dbx if you have SP3 installed. I haven't seen it myself though.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    BillW50, Apr 30, 2010
  9. dwn

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    dwn typed on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:31:38 -0700:
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:37:50 -0500, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh I almost forgot. Upgrading XP to SP2 or possibly SP3 never worked
    >> right for me. As the computer got really sluggish. I did like 5 SP2
    >> upgrades and all the same thing on many different makes and models.
    >> Everybody else (well most everybody) said it worked fine for them.
    >> So I don't know, maybe they just can't see the sluggishness and I
    >> can or whatever.

    > I encounter the same sluggishness, while updating and installing
    > drivers, before SP1a after a few reboot, the sluggishness
    > disappeared. I don't have the slightest idea what I did. I stopped at
    > SP2, because SP3 cause my computer to act strangely. I want to make a
    > mirror image of "C" drive, before updating SP3. Should I find it
    > unacceptable, I can start all again with SP2 and select the update I
    > want in SP3.

    Sounds like a good plan to me.

    >> What works great for me is to take XP install with SP2 included.
    >> Then it works quick and snappy. I should downgrade one of my
    >> computers here and take another look at it. As the computers that I
    >> upgraded to SP2 already had tons of security patches and installs
    >> and it always ran sluggish for me. I never tried the original XP
    >> release ('02 era) and jumped straight to SP2. That might actually
    >> work just as well.

    > Dell recovery includes SP2 that is why I never had any problems.
    > Don't try 2002 eras, with a slow computer and wireless ADSL modem
    > take days not hours!

    Ok.

    > I still have tons of unanswer questions. Remember, I told you I use
    > Dell recovery CD to reinstall and because of the illegal key, I used
    > BartPE? Somehow, after everything done, I found in "C" drive remains
    > a Dell Folder with some files in it. I thought, BartPE formatted and
    > reinstalled i380 from scratch, am I missing something here and can
    > delete it?

    Probably. To play it safe though, just rename the folder and see if
    everything works for awhile. Remember to reboot at least once.

    > Another question, I plan to use Acronis to create a mirror image
    > drive. I tried once using a 200Gb external HD and did not turn out
    > well. The T30 HD is 40Gb. I have with me two spare HD 140Gb and
    > 200Gb. Can I make an image using DVD (4.7Gb) or DVDdl (8.5Gb) instead?
    >
    > Thanks again. I really appreciate. :)

    Acronis True Image has a known bug with some USB devices. They will
    usually backup ok, but will not restore. I also documented lots of bugs
    with Acronis True Image about a year ago.

    I have used Acronis True Image, Paragon, Ghost, and even BartPE to make
    backups. They all have their own pros and cons. Making an image to DVD?
    Some you can and some you can't. For 40GB, it would take anywhere
    between 4 to 8 DVDs. Nero only does backups to CD/DVD. I don't know,
    that might be better in this case.

    BillW50, Apr 30, 2010
  10. dwn

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    dwn typed on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:27:56 -0700:
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:39:49 -0500, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >
    > snip for brevity..
    >
    >> Using DOS, you need to run Winnt.exe only. Winnt32.exe is the one you
    >> use if you boot up Windows 2000/XP or BartPE. And you shouldn't get
    >> the older than installed error if you run one of these files.
    >> Although this error is very common if you run Setup.exe instead.

    > I tried a few times, each:
    > - Win98 bootup - failed
    > - Safe mode Dos Prompt CMD - failed
    > - In WinXP winnt32 - failed
    > Each time the same "Files that is older....replacing..." on screen and
    > unable to tick to install it. I searched for solution at various forum
    > and cannot get answer. I must have missed something somewhere
    > along the way. All the time I did not think of using BartPE, which
    > took me so much time to create.

    I hear ya! Although Winnt and Winnt32 is supposed to bypass the older
    than error. So I don't know what went wrong? Unless you installed XP
    over the old version. That isn't such a good idea and can cause an
    unstable install.

    I would rename the old Windows and Program Files folders to something
    else. If you don't have like 5GB of free space, then I would probably
    delete them or move them to your USB HD with BartPE. Everything else can
    stay.

    > snip..
    >
    >> Yes, there are many different keys. There are OEM keys that only
    >> work on OEM installs and there are retail keys that only work on
    >> retail installs. And I have a feeling there are different OEM keys
    >> as well. Such as a Dell key may not work on a Gateway for example.

    > You are correct, I always thought MS check the hardware's to
    > validate. I even use the key from the bottom Dell laptop.
    >
    > .snip
    >>
    >> Good thing you made a copy of those files and made a BartPE disc eh?

    > Yes, while I failed to read and follow your other suggestions
    > carefully. I did on this one and further I saved the key too,
    > otherwise I would have no where to go, but buy an OEM XP PRO.

    I have the opposite problem. I buy the retail versions of Windows and
    just never use them and put them up on the shelf. :-( But I have them if
    I ever need them. ;-)

    > ..snip
    >
    >>> 1 - How to overcome the "Files that is older than the ones you are
    >>> replacing..." when executing from CMD Dos prompt, beside using
    >>> BartPE?

    >> DOS should have worked with Winnt.exe. You could have deleted the
    >> Windows folder and that should workaround any of those errors anyway.

    > I could not see "C" drive in CMD DOS dot prompt. Do you mean
    > using BartPE, I could delete "C" drive? I will check it with the
    > BartPE later.

    Not seeing drive C under DOS usually means it is formatted in NTFS. Did
    you check that under Windows XP or BartPE under properties like I asked
    ya? That will tell you what drive C is formatted in.

    > snip..
    >
    >>> 3 - Can replace two 256MB memory, with 2X1Gb, PC 2700 SODIMM Non ECC
    >>> 333 MHz 200 pins DDR SDRAM?
    >>>
    >>> 4 - Will 333MHz work or use 266MHz on #3?

    > snip..
    >
    >> Others who are more experienced with your model and memory should
    >> come forward and help you here. One thing which helps a lot is going
    >> to a major memory manufacture's website and to look up your make and
    >> model and they will list what kind of memory you can use with it.

    > I email a major seller at Ebay, his reply you can install only 1Gb
    > but did not comfirm, will 333MHz work in place of 266MHz? further, I
    > found many users had indeed successfully run with 2Bg. (see below for
    > detail on Lenovo PC2700)
    >
    > I need to be sure before installing 2Bg (333MHZ). The questions,
    > should I spending anymore, I still have a Dell D600. T30 is only a
    > backup. Come Nov. Black Friday buy a reliable, cheapest and fastest
    > laptop under $500 and sell the T30. (you wanna advice now?) What do
    > you think?

    If it were me, I would leave that spare as is. The T30 has 512MB right
    now, right?

    BillW50, Apr 30, 2010