Passive force and opensource and the future of XP.

Discussion in 'Intel' started by fuentez, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. fuentez

    fuentez Guest

    In another thread I was told that nobody forces me to upgrade, well
    while it is true bill gates does not send a commando squad to my house
    to drag me kicking and screaming to CompUSA to buy a new computer and
    OS every time he has a new release. do to lack of future support our
    collective hands are forced.
    Here is what is about to go down, first everything will be ok, XP
    software will drop in price systems preloaded with winXP will drop in
    price, and for a while new games & other software will still be
    released(titles that were in development before the release of vista).
    After the initial good times it will be a slow change, first there
    will be a few games & business software packages that wont run on XP,
    not many but a few, Then you will see YOUR computer listed as just
    making minimum requierments, you might be able to make these programs
    run faster by adding more RAM, but then you weigh
    buying a new computer with eating or feeding your kids and deside that
    you will make do since all your software still does all the things you
    want it to do.
    Next your IM of choice stops working(yahoo, AIM, ICQ, etc etc.....),
    and you start to get error msg's like"your version of (fill in the
    blank) messenger is nolonger supported by our servers please upgrade"
    so you click the link upgrade and the NEW and BETTER version runs 20
    times slower.
    Then you notice every 3'rd website you visit tells you to upgrade your
    browser.
    Well now you have no choice but to upgrade no they did not hold a gun
    to your head but they made it to where you can nolonger enjoy that
    computer you spent your hard earned money on.

    Part of the problem is support for windows is not a permenant thing,
    once support ends there are no more service packs to let you run the
    newest software.
    example win2000 support ended in 2005 up until that point 90% of
    software would run on win2000 or XP now only XP software has tripled.
    My solution to this miscarrage of justice? its simple, make all
    unsupported software opensource, release the code.

    many will say its unfair but how is it not? If M$ nolonger wants to
    support THEIR OWN software let someone else do it.
    So it should be a choice of ether continuing support for the past os's
    or letting it go to public domain.
    It's more of a choice than we have been given.

    An example of this is all the distro's of linux, redhat, linspire,
    debian etc etc.....
    All those are companies and after awhile they end support for their
    versions of linux, but since linux is open source there are always
    people to pick up the slack, for every problem you have with redhat
    7.3 (support ended 6 years ago) there is a 16 year old in tulsa who
    created a fix, or an MIT student who figured out how to run the latest
    ubuntu app's on it etc etc.........

    If you wanna lean and talk about tech visit
    http://www.technocracy.co.nr/
    fuentez, Jan 29, 2007

  2. fuentez

    98 Guy Guest

    fuentez wrote:

    > Here is what is about to go down

    For one thing, Intel is also culpable here for aiding Macro$haft.
    Intel is also dropping OS support for their chipsets in a way that
    helps MS sell Vista.

    I have no problem running Win-98se on a 3 ghz P-4 with large SATA hard
    drives, and Office 2K pro works just fine.

    But Intel has dropped support for Win-98 for PCI-express, ICH6, ICH7,
    etc, and even win-2k is also at a dead end now.

    So I'm not going to join their illegal, anti-trust band wagon and
    throw away my perfectly good hardware and start using Vista - an OS
    that the NSA helped to write and that the media companies just luv
    because of media rights management built right into the drivers.

    And I never bought into XP as well, because it was half-broken for the
    first 3 years of it's miserable life until SP2 came out and because I
    didn't care for it's increasingly nervous phone-home validity
    checking. Vista will take that to a whole new level, and Intel is
    helping right along.
    98 Guy, Jan 30, 2007

  3. fuentez wrote:

    > An example of this is all the distro's of linux, redhat, linspire,
    > debian etc etc.....
    > All those are companies and after awhile they end support for their
    > versions of linux, but since linux is open source there are always
    > people to pick up the slack, for every problem you have with redhat
    > 7.3 (support ended 6 years ago) there is a 16 year old in tulsa who
    > created a fix, or an MIT student who figured out how to run the latest
    > ubuntu app's on it etc etc.........

    The ability to upgrade for free is real, the ability to hack source to
    run on unintended o/s is real, but the chances of people putting a lot
    of effort to backport is spotty at best. You can upgrade just the
    kernel, though, although it's often easier to think during your first
    install and then just upgrade releases every few years because you put
    the special software and personal files on a separate filesystem.

    I got redhat 7.3 to run all through the 2.5 kernel development cycle, up
    to 2.6.5 or so. On an old Pentium-II, yet. But in truth, unless you are
    pretty serious about learning how things work, the upgrades are easier.

    I would go to something like CentOS or Whitebox, which promise support
    for five years. But remember stable means giving up all the new
    features, and that's best left to servers, firewalls, and other boring
    stuff.

    --
    bill davidsen <>
    Unsigned numbers may not be negative. However, unsigned numbers may be
    Bill Davidsen, Feb 7, 2007