    What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
    by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
    ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!
    Harry Edwards, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Harry Edwards

    Mark A Guest

    "Harry Edwards" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
    > awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
    > than a month old and its OK so far.
    > What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
    > by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
    > ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

    There is a forum on the Zalman website at:
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm

    Hopefully someone from Zalman participates and can answer if no one else
    knows.
    Mark A, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Harry Edwards

    > I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
    > awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
    > than a month old and its OK so far.
    > What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
    > by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
    > ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

    BTW, which brand is not making noise?
    Mark A, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Harry Edwards

    Mark A Guest

    "Mark A" <> wrote in message
    > "Harry Edwards" <> wrote in message
    > > I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that

    make
    > > awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is

    less
    > > than a month old and its OK so far.
    > > What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found

    one
    > > by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
    > > ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

    > There is a forum on the Zalman website at:
    > http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm
    >
    > Hopefully someone from Zalman participates and can answer if no one else
    > knows.

    I found this on the forum (I assume that "normal mode" means that the Zalman
    does not work and the card must use the stock cooler):

    For the user of ATI chip:

    Both ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with ATI (AIW) Radeon 9800 (Pro)
    graphics cards when they are cooled by additional fans (in Silent Mode) such
    as FB165, FB123 w/ additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1
    for ZM80C-HP. Lower models from ATI having 2 mounting holes on the PCB can
    be cooled by ZM80A-HP (or ZM80C-HP) without additional fan.

    Exceptionally, ATI (AIW) Radeon 9800 XT should be cooled in Normal Mode.

    For the user of nVidia chip:

    ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with GeForce FX 5600 or lower models
    from nVidia without additional fan cooling such as FB165, FB123 w/
    additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1 for ZM80C-HP.

    GeForce FX 5700 or higher models from nVidia can be used with ZM80A-HP or
    ZM80C-HP with additional fan cooling in Silent Mode.

    Exceptionally, GeForce FX 5900 (Ultra) and 5950 Ultra should be cooled in
    Normal Mode.

    Regards,
    Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN
    Mark A, Feb 15, 2004
  5. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:21:16 -0700, Mark A wrote:

    > "Harry Edwards" <> wrote in message
    >> I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that make
    >> awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is less
    >> than a month old and its OK so far.
    >> What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found one
    >> by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
    >> ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

    > BTW, which brand is not making noise?

    MSI. But I have Two MSI cards one is and one is not.
    Harry Edwards, Feb 15, 2004
  6. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:38:57 -0700, Mark A wrote:

    > "Mark A" <> wrote in message
    >> "Harry Edwards" <> wrote in message
    >> > I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that

    > make
    >> > awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is

    > less
    >> > than a month old and its OK so far.
    >> > What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found

    > one
    >> > by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
    >> > ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

    >> There is a forum on the Zalman website at:
    >> http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm
    >>
    >> Hopefully someone from Zalman participates and can answer if no one else
    >> knows.
    >>

    > ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with GeForce FX 5600 or lower models
    > from nVidia without additional fan cooling such as FB165, FB123 w/
    > additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1 for ZM80C-HP.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN

    Bingo! I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay.

    I don't know where these guys get their fans, but ever since my TNT2 days
    I have had issues with GPU fans from nvidia.
    Harry Edwards, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Harry Edwards

    Mark A Guest

    > Bingo! I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay.
    >
    > I don't know where these guys get their fans, but ever since my TNT2 days
    > I have had issues with GPU fans from NVIDIA.

    Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same NVIDIA
    card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
    quality is enormous.
    Mark A, Feb 15, 2004
  8. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:22:53 -0700, Mark A wrote:

    >> Bingo! I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay.
    >>
    >> I don't know where these guys get their fans, but ever since my TNT2 days
    >> I have had issues with GPU fans from NVIDIA.

    > Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same NVIDIA
    > card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
    > quality is enormous.

    I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Its still bullshit though. The amount of noise the BFG model makes it
    obscene. It literaly soounds like a submarine klaxon. For the amount of
    money i spent on these cards - some upwards of $200 a fan that fails
    within six months is completely unacceptable.
    As for getting an RMA, they want me to send the card in, they'll evaluate
    it and let me know if its under warranty. In the mean time my PC can sit
    there with its thumb up its ass waiting for its card.
    Harry Edwards, Feb 15, 2004
  9. Harry Edwards

    Mark A Guest

    > > Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same
    NVIDIA
    > > card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
    > > quality is enormous.

    > I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    > Its still bullshit though. The amount of noise the BFG model makes it
    > obscene. It literaly soounds like a submarine klaxon. For the amount of
    > money i spent on these cards - some upwards of $200 a fan that fails
    > within six months is completely unacceptable.
    > As for getting an RMA, they want me to send the card in, they'll evaluate
    > it and let me know if its under warranty. In the mean time my PC can sit
    > there with its thumb up its ass waiting for its card.

    Works the same in other businesses also. I once talked to a home builder
    about his construction techniques (special insulation, caulking of
    sheathing, etc.) and he told me that at one time he spent extra money on
    those things inside the wall to make the home tighter, more energy
    efficient, and quieter. But he said that no one could see it and customers
    refused to pay extra money for it, and his was loosing his ass on the extra
    costs, so he went back to building crappy homes like the other builders.

    But OTOH, be thankful there are companies like Zalman who have alternative
    solutions.
    Mark A, Feb 15, 2004
  10. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:33:39 -0700, Mark A wrote:

    >> > Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same

    > NVIDIA
    >> > card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
    >> > quality is enormous.

    >> I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    >> Its still bullshit though. The amount of noise the BFG model makes it
    >> obscene. It literaly soounds like a submarine klaxon. For the amount of
    >> money i spent on these cards - some upwards of $200 a fan that fails
    >> within six months is completely unacceptable.
    >> As for getting an RMA, they want me to send the card in, they'll evaluate
    >> it and let me know if its under warranty. In the mean time my PC can sit
    >> there with its thumb up its ass waiting for its card.

    > Works the same in other businesses also. I once talked to a home builder
    > about his construction techniques (special insulation, caulking of
    > sheathing, etc.) and he told me that at one time he spent extra money on
    > those things inside the wall to make the home tighter, more energy
    > efficient, and quieter. But he said that no one could see it and customers
    > refused to pay extra money for it, and his was loosing his ass on the extra
    > costs, so he went back to building crappy homes like the other builders.
    >
    > But OTOH, be thankful there are companies like Zalman who have alternative
    > solutions.

    I understand that. The problem is I have to spend an extra 40 bucks for a
    heat sink that should have been OK in the first place. As for your
    builder friend... I dunno.
    Harry Edwards, Feb 15, 2004
  11. Harry Edwards

    Mark A Guest

    > > Works the same in other businesses also. I once talked to a home builder
    > > about his construction techniques (special insulation, caulking of
    > > sheathing, etc.) and he told me that at one time he spent extra money on
    > > those things inside the wall to make the home tighter, more energy
    > > efficient, and quieter. But he said that no one could see it and

    customers
    > > refused to pay extra money for it, and his was loosing his ass on the

    extra
    > > costs, so he went back to building crappy homes like the other builders.
    > >
    > > But OTOH, be thankful there are companies like Zalman who have

    alternative
    > > solutions.

    > I understand that. The problem is I have to spend an extra 40 bucks for a
    > heat sink that should have been OK in the first place. As for your
    > builder friend... I dunno.

    After spending some time at the forum link below, I have come to the
    conclusion that no fan smaller than 80mm will be quiet. And no fan is likely
    to remain quiet for the life of the video card.
    http://forums.silentpcreview.com/.
    Mark A, Feb 15, 2004
  12. Harry Edwards

    Rusty Smith Guest

    You might try to mod a 1U server cooper cooler heard that they work well
    with the fx series cards.
    I plan to do this later on as the fans are 60mm and can be run on a 7v line
    (quite & cool).
    the price for the 1U run from $12.00 to $25.00 and a demel, drill, and
    plactic screws should work.

    Rusty Smith, Feb 15, 2004
  13. Harry Edwards

    tq96 Guest

    > I understand that. The problem is I have to spend an extra 40 bucks
    > for a heat sink that should have been OK in the first place. As for

    $30 for the Zalman heatpipe is nothing. It's voiding your warranty that's
    the killer. I hope by the time I'm ready to get another videocard there is
    an OEM in the NVidia camp that is selling cards with pre-installed
    heatpipes like Saphire is doing now with ATI cards.
    tq96, Feb 20, 2004