PB boot diskette?

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by GasMan, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. GasMan

    GasMan Guest

    Hi,

    A friends PB computer motherboard has given up the ghost. I managed to
    get a replacement MS6168 from Ebay.
    I installed the m/b and brought with me a floppy disk to boot it up
    with as I moved the HD to their other computer so they could use all
    their programs in the meantime.

    Whilst it appears to boot, it will not read he floppy which is a bog
    standard Win98 boot disk.

    I know about the tattoo that needs to be done with a PB PC, but does a
    floppy boot disk need special info as well?

    I've booted with a BART PE CD and I know the m/b is fine.

    Next weekend I'll be reinstalling the HD back into the computer, and
    hopefully all will be well, but I am curious as to why it will not
    boot with a normal floppy.

    TIA
    Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

    GasMan, Sep 9, 2005

  2. GasMan

    metronid Guest

    Could be many things
    What is your boot sequence in bios

    If you have no HD then the unit should boot from the floppy in any case
    If you do have a HD it will be with the sequence of the 1st letter named

    C,A will always boot from C unless C is absent
    A,C will alawys boot from A first

    This is true if there is a functioning boot sector on the drive

    While you are in bios make sure drive A is set up properly
    Should be most likely listed as Drive A 1.44MB 3.5 under the 1st menue

    Also since yoiu just added a maiboard make sure you are hooked up correctly

    metronid, Sep 10, 2005

  3. GasMan

    GasMan Guest

    Metronid,

    Thanks for the reply. Boot sequence was correct. i changed it to CDROM
    to boot the BARTPE CD. I'll see how I get on on the weekend when I put
    the HD back in. That was the reason for takig the W98 boot floppy with
    me, as I knew that was the only way i could check the m/b.

    Turns out I had some BARTPE Cds with me that saved the day.

    I will also double check that the floppy is still bootable.

    GasMan, Sep 10, 2005