    What tpe and maker would you advise me to use ??
    thanks
    michel
    Michel, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Michel

    Ben Myers Guest

    I recommend one of two brands based on generally good experiences with them.
    Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Each has drivers still available for
    Linux and evn the old versions of Windows.

    There are two possibilities to consider with the Xircom brand. One is simply a
    10/100 card. The other has both 10/100 and dialup 56K modem connectors. The
    disadvantage of a Xircom card is that it is large and occupies two PCMCIA slots.

    The 3COM 3c575 is another 10/100 Ethernet card. It is a thin card which
    occupies only one PCMCIA slot, and it is flush with the edge of the computer
    case when fully inserted in the slot. Its disadvantage is that it requires a
    "dongle", or small cable with Category 5 Ethernet connector. The dongle is yet
    another item to remember in ones kit of notebook items, and it can be carelessly
    ripped from the card, causing physical damage.

    Both of these operate reliably when in use. They are both inexpensive on eBay
    and from sellers of used computer parts... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 20, 2007

  3. Michel wrote:

    > hello
    > i would like to buy a PC card in order to connect my old 1800xl 109
    > notebook to the ethernet 10/100  output of my modrm.
    > What tpe and maker would you advise me to use ??
    > thanks
    > michel

    * * *
    Michel,

    I believe you have PC Card Slots
    Two (2) Type II or one (1) Type III PC card slots

    External Ports
    Two USB connectors

    If you have a wireless Router, then almost any wireless card should work. I
    purchased a G Airlink in Fry's Elctronics for $9 last month.

    If you are using a wire connector I have found the the used 3com 10/100 lan
    PC Card from ebay with the wire converter have worked in my older Compaq,
    and Toshiba notebooks... $10 with shipping

    You could use one of the usb wireless sticks, if your PC Card Slots do not
    work...

    How can you tell if the PC Card host computer has CardBus or 16-bit?

    1) Check the documentation or specification for your host computer.
    2) The slot may also be marked "CardBus". Most notebook computers
    manufactured after 1998 have CardBus slots.
    3) On Windows based computers you can right click on the "My Computer" icon,
    select "System Properties" and select the "Device Manager" tab. Search for
    the "PCMCIA Socket" entry and click on it to show the type of PC Card
    Controller. There should be one entry per slot.

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, Nov 20, 2007