    on the System Panel Connector ? And what's a Message LED for ?
    thanks
    , Feb 27, 2004

  2. rstlne Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am doing a new build with a PC-DL-Deluxe. I maybe behind the times
    > but why is the hard drive LED setup in the middle of the Speaker pins
    > on the System Panel Connector ? And what's a Message LED for ?
    > thanks

    Since your behind times..
    I'll point you to something else new that will help with this..
    There is this Book that's White with a GreenStripe down the side (Called a
    User Guide)..
    It has all of the information that you will require
    rstlne, Feb 27, 2004

  3. KB Guest

    What's a PC-DL-Deluxe?
    ---------------------------------------

    KB, Feb 27, 2004
  4. KB Guest

    The user guide for that board does not have a green stripe..............

    KB, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Leythos Guest

    In article <OID%b.12209$9.net>,
    says...
    > What's a PC-DL-Deluxe?

    It's a Dual P4/Xeon motherboard that uses non-ecc ram and screams like
    no other motherboard has in the past (single CPU).

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  6. rstlne Guest

    > The user guide for that board does not have a green stripe..............

    Lol..
    DAMN
    I thought that was an asus standard ;)
    rstlne, Feb 27, 2004
  7. KB Guest

    Nope........
    seems not.

    KB, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:51:18 -0000, "rstlne" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I am doing a new build with a PC-DL-Deluxe. I maybe behind the times
    >> but why is the hard drive LED setup in the middle of the Speaker pins
    >> on the System Panel Connector ? And what's a Message LED for ?
    >> thanks

    By behind the times I meant I am mostly use to rack mount and or PRO
    cases, rather then cheap consumer grade cases.

    I have read the manual, I have read the latest pdf manual and yet the
    only mention of of the Message LED is where to plug it in. As to the
    HD LED being in the middle of the speaker plug in I haven't come
    across this yet and wondered if this had something to do a all in one
    LED block or some other consumer level "convenience"

    >Since your behind times..
    >I'll point you to something else new that will help with this..
    >There is this Book that's White with a GreenStripe down the side (Called a
    >User Guide)..
    >It has all of the information that you will require

    , Feb 27, 2004
  9. Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:32:39 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >In article <OID%b.12209$9.net>,
    >says...
    >> What's a PC-DL-Deluxe?

    >It's a Dual P4/Xeon motherboard that uses non-ecc ram and screams like
    >no other motherboard has in the past (single CPU).

    The PC-DL Deluxe is a entry level Xeon Workstation board. The most
    significant thing about it is that it will install in a standard ATX
    case, however, it still requires a special Xeon power supply.

    There is no P4 Xeon. There is Xeon, and there is P4. The board uses
    either ECC or Non ECC. However, anything 1GB or above should probably
    be ECC as large amounts of RAM tend to be error prone.

    >--
    , Feb 27, 2004
  10. Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > However, anything 1GB or above should probably
    > be ECC as large amounts of RAM tend to be error prone.

    Actually, the RAM will have errors if it's going to, it has nothing to
    do with the size of the RAM.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:47:09 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> However, anything 1GB or above should probably
    >> be ECC as large amounts of RAM tend to be error prone.

    >Actually, the RAM will have errors if it's going to, it has nothing to
    >do with the size of the RAM.

    Wrong. This is well documented in SciSoft Sandra 2004.
    However, the more memory devices that you load on a single
    channel increases the chance that the loading on the chipset will
    cause signal quality failures. Of course, the real world test is that
    if you have a lot of memory installed and your system works fine, then
    you're probably OK. But you may be having failures you're not aware of
    ..Bottom line is if it is mission critical then you want ECC or
    Registered .
    , Feb 27, 2004
  12. Dennis Guest

    In article <mkL%b.12327$9.net>, says...

    Dennis, Feb 28, 2004
  13. KB Guest

    It's not.
    A speaker plug has four pins by default and only the first and last are
    used.
    the two middle ones are not connected.
    So there is no way the HD(IDE)Led can be connected if a long 4 connector
    speaker plug is used.
    Its not in the middle of speaker pins at all.

    KB, Feb 28, 2004
  14. Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:46:17 -0000, "KB" <> wrote:

    >It's not.
    >A speaker plug has four pins by default and only the first and last are
    >used.
    >the two middle ones are not connected.
    >So there is no way the HD(IDE)Led can be connected if a long 4 connector
    >speaker plug is used.
    >Its not in the middle of speaker pins at all.

    Actually on this board it is in the middle of the speaker connector.
    http://www.geocities.com/morse2002002/1.jpg
    In order to make it work I needed to fabricate my own connecter by
    adding two center LED connectors into the middle of the four opening
    speaker connector. I suppose you could also cut the speaker connector
    in half and then place the inputs two pins apart with a normal HD LED
    in the middle.

    It is odd that they did it this way, when I saw it I just assumed that
    somebody must be making consumer cases with this sort of LED
    connector.... but I guess not.

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I am doing a new build with a PC-DL-Deluxe. I maybe behind the times
    >> but why is the hard drive LED setup in the middle of the Speaker pins
    >> on the System Panel Connector ? And what's a Message LED for ?
    >> thanks

    , Feb 28, 2004
  15. rstlne Guest

    > Actually on this board it is in the middle of the speaker connector.
    > http://www.geocities.com/morse2002002/1.jpg
    > In order to make it work I needed to fabricate my own connecter by
    > adding two center LED connectors into the middle of the four opening
    > speaker connector. I suppose you could also cut the speaker connector
    > in half and then place the inputs two pins apart with a normal HD LED
    > in the middle.
    >
    > It is odd that they did it this way, when I saw it I just assumed that
    > somebody must be making consumer cases with this sort of LED
    > connector.... but I guess not.

    That's nuts..

    That looks just plain wrong to be honest..

    I tried to d/l the users book for it but every one I found was like..
    asiapacific stuff.. China/Japan (or something of the sort)..
    But the diagram is the same and it's odd cause it says use a 4 pin speaker
    connection..
    Verry odd indeed.. I would email asus tech support and make sure that's
    correct.. Normally those 2 pins for the hard drive are not labled or labled
    as ground.. so maybee it's just been marked wrong?..
    rstlne, Feb 28, 2004
  16. rstlne Guest

    Bit of a brainfart here..
    Asus Tech dont get back to things promptly .. so Maybee try one of the sites
    that's review'd this board
    It seems that "Wesley Fink" review'd this board so
    he MIGHT be able to help you if you email him.. (worth a try)
    rstlne, Feb 28, 2004
  17. Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:01:51 -0000, "rstlne" <>
    wrote:

    >> Actually on this board it is in the middle of the speaker connector.
    >> http://www.geocities.com/morse2002002/1.jpg
    >> In order to make it work I needed to fabricate my own connecter by
    >> adding two center LED connectors into the middle of the four opening
    >> speaker connector. I suppose you could also cut the speaker connector
    >> in half and then place the inputs two pins apart with a normal HD LED
    >> in the middle.
    >>
    >> It is odd that they did it this way, when I saw it I just assumed that
    >> somebody must be making consumer cases with this sort of LED
    >> connector.... but I guess not.

    >That's nuts..
    >
    >That looks just plain wrong to be honest..
    >
    >I tried to d/l the users book for it but every one I found was like..
    >asiapacific stuff.. China/Japan (or something of the sort)..
    >But the diagram is the same and it's odd cause it says use a 4 pin speaker
    >connection..
    >Verry odd indeed.. I would email asus tech support and make sure that's
    >correct.. Normally those 2 pins for the hard drive are not labled or labled
    >as ground.. so maybee it's just been marked wrong?..

    nope it's not marked wrong because it works that way.

    , Feb 29, 2004