    Greetz,
    Dirk.

    BTW. I prefer if you email me about this directly, it is

    Dirk van den Berg, Jul 27, 2007

  2. $ schreef:
    > "Dirk van den Berg" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I got this pc from a friend of mine. It has been not operative for several
    >> years now. She claims the pc is just 'dead'. When I checked, I noticed the
    >> pc was not even powering up.
    >>
    >> Now I removed the original power supply, and connected another one from a
    >> recent leftover pc. This time, when I plug in the electric cord, I hear
    >> and see a spark. On this motherboard, an ASUS CUV4X-E, now one steady
    >> small green light can be seen, but pushing the power button doesn't make
    >> the pc powering up as a whole.
    >>
    >> Anyone on this?
    >>
    >> Greetz,
    >> Dirk.
    >>
    >> BTW. I prefer if you email me about this directly, it is
    >>

    > It could be that there is a faulty cpu in the motherboard. I would suggest
    > fitting another p3 and resetting the cmos. It wouldn't hurt to reseat the
    > ram either. Great P3 motherboard the cuv4x. Unplug the usb header to the
    > motherboard too.
    >
    > Chri$

    Hi Chri$,

    thanx for your very swift answer. I checked all the parts of the
    motherboard, they looked ok. I removed the cooling fan and the CPU, the
    processor seemed to be fine. But you recommend another p3 anyway. Any
    idea why the sole green led is powered, and nothing else?

    Dirk van den Berg, Jul 27, 2007

  3. $ schreef:
    > "Dirk van den Berg" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Chri$,
    >>
    >> thanx for your very swift answer. I checked all the parts of the
    >> motherboard, they looked ok. I removed the cooling fan and the CPU, the
    >> processor seemed to be fine. But you recommend another p3 anyway. Any idea
    >> why the sole green led is powered, and nothing else?

    > From unfortunate experience I know that a component may 'look' fine - even
    > new - and still be kaput! It maybe that the cpu failed and that was why the
    > pc was put to one side for several years. It could be that a bios update is
    > needed to recognise a newer p3 that was fitted. Stick an old p3 in it and
    > if it boots note the bios version. The latest CUV4X-E (beta) bios is the
    > 1006.005. Released in late 2002 its still on their site so cant be a bad
    > beta!
    >
    > The LED lights up whenever the motherboard is in suspend or soft off (not
    > actually off - or turned off at the wall). Components must not be removed
    > or reseated when this LED is on. Check the capacitors around the
    > motherboard as another poster has pointed out, but the fact the LED is on
    > seems to me to point to a component cpu, memory or gfx card. Take all the
    > other PCI cards out and unplug the usb header. Make sure all the DIP
    > switches are set to off and the JEN jumper is set to cover pins 2-3. Its
    > near the chassis fan connector.
    >
    > Try a different stick of ram. No Joy? Replace the original stick and change
    > the cpu and try again. Has the AGP pro noth been removed in the agp slot?
    > Try a known working pci vga card rather than the agp card.
    >
    > Any beeps on trying to turn on?
    >
    > Chri$

    Thanks for you answers, but all my efforts failed. Since my friend has
    another pc with Windows XP, fully functional, and since I don't really
    have any spare parts, I decided to call it the quits. Thanks for helping
    me. By now I stripped her pc, taking out all the memory. Actually, that
    was the only part worth saving. And her old HD ofcourse.

    Dirk van den Berg, Jul 29, 2007