PC3200 in SN41G2

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Paul Adams, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Paul Adams

    Paul Adams Guest

    I have a couple of Shuttle systems, an SN41G2 and an SS51G (v1.0), and
    I'm going through the process of upgrading some of the components in
    the AMD system.

    It will be:
    AthlonXP 3000+
    1Gb PC2700 RAM (2x512Mb)
    120Gb Seagate Barracuda 8Mb cache HDD
    Sony DVD +/-RW
    Asus GeForce4 Ti4200 128Mb

    (Once the Radeon 9800 Pro AIW's come down in price I'll look at
    upgrading to that.)

    My question is this - the CPU FSBs supported in the SN41G2 are 133 and
    166 (doubled to 266/333MHz respectively), but the memory can be up to
    DDR400 - PC3200 spec.

    Is there any merit in using PC3200 over PC2700 in this system?
    Or only if overclocking the FSB?
    Or is it better to keep the memory and CPU FSBs matched at 333MHz?
    --
    Paul Adams
    Infrastructure & Security Analyst

    Paul Adams, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Paul Adams

    D R Tester Guest

    Adam,
    I too have an SN41G2 - to bit things into perspective I have an XP2500+
    running with an FSB of 198Mhz - this is just a pip under a XP3200 in real
    clock speed terms. You would do best to get an XP2500+ rather than the
    XP3000 and overclock the FSB up to this sort of level, which you can only do
    by (a) Using an AGP graphics card (b) Using decent PC3200 or PC3500 ram. I
    am running OCZ PC3500EL ram in dual channel mode. Depending on what stepping
    chip you get you should be aable to achieve this anyway. Pretty much all the
    recent stepping of XP2500+ are capable at running at 200Mhz (400Mhz) but you
    need to have decent PC3200 ram to achieve this FSB.

    Dom

    D R Tester, Dec 5, 2003