pci-e 16x not working on linux, windows is okay

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Sat_, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. Sat_

    Sat_ Guest

    Hi, I have oc a bit my comp:

    MB: asus p5b-e
    CPU: 6320  @ 1.86GHz
    stepping   : 6
    cpu MHz    : 2800.071
    VCore:     +1.36 V
    vga: nvidia 8800GTS 320

    The video card on linux works only at 1x
    by raising the clock @110Mhz on the pci-e bus it's correctly working on
    windows at 16x, in this case linux stops working, keyboard is stuck, eth0
    is not working and so on..

    the problem is that i almost use only linux, and i keep windows there just
    as play station.

    any clue on what is going on here?

    thanks for any help
    --
    ·

    Sat_, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Sat_

    Sat_ Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > Overclocking the pci-e bus is useless unless you like system
    > crashes.

    I did not overclocked the pci-e bus, I had to in order to regain the 16x on
    the bus

    > The 1x vs 16x use by the video card is governed by the video card
    > driver. It sounds like you are are using the generic nv driver in the
    > linux distribution that you <ahem> failed to mention the name of.

    No, I'm using the latest stable from nvidia, on my slackware 12.1

    > I suggest you try for a more definitive answer in a newsgroup or
    > support forum that covers the flavor of Linux you are using.

    actually I have downclocked the previous configuration and I've got it
    working again. it seems stable now with good temperatures and finally the
    16x link on the pci-e bus.

    thank you anyway.

    regards
    --
    ·

    Sat_, Dec 16, 2008

  3. Sat_

    Sat_ Guest

    Bill wrote:

    >> I did not overclocked the pci-e bus, I had to in order to regain the 16x
    >> on the bus

    > First you say you didn't, then you say you did. Make up your mind.

    I didn't because I didn't want to, then I was forced to.

    >> > The 1x vs 16x use by the video card is governed by the video card
    >> > driver. It sounds like you are are using the generic nv driver in the
    >> > linux distribution that you <ahem> failed to mention the name of.

    >> No, I'm using the latest stable from nvidia, on my slackware 12.1

    btw, I think it's not governed by the video card driver:

    # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "PCI Express"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 1X

    looks like it's Xorg that sees the the Link already at 1X
    --
    ·

    Sat_, Dec 16, 2008