  1. non+'d

    non+'d Guest

    identified by Win98se, driver installed smoothly.

    non+'d, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Start with the most obvious question first. Is the telephone cable
    connected to the modem correctly? The cable from the wall goes to LINE,
    the cable to a telephone (if any) goes to PHONE.

    If that is not the problem, try going to Control Panel --> Modems -->
    Diagnostics. There should be a "Query Modem" button. It should do
    something for a few seconds and then spit a bunch of data at you. Don't
    worry too much about what the data says... if you get this data, then it
    "should" be working. An error would say something like "COM port is
    already in use".

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 15, 2005

  3. non+'d

    farmuse Guest

    If it passes that, and you can plug a phone into the other jack
    and hear a tone, then the modem is toast.

    farmuse, Aug 16, 2005
  4. non+'d

    Roger Hunt Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, farmuse typed this :
    >Alex Zorrilla wrote:
    >> Start with the most obvious question first. Is the telephone cable
    >> connected to the modem correctly? The cable from the wall goes to LINE,
    >> the cable to a telephone (if any) goes to PHONE.
    >>
    >> If that is not the problem, try going to Control Panel --> Modems -->
    >> Diagnostics. There should be a "Query Modem" button. It should do
    >> something for a few seconds and then spit a bunch of data at you. Don't
    >> worry too much about what the data says... if you get this data, then it
    >> "should" be working. An error would say something like "COM port is
    >> already in use".
    >>

    > If it passes that, and you can plug a phone into the other jack
    >and hear a tone, then the modem is toast.

    Just one last shot in the dark -
    Is the modem set correctly to Tone or Pulse dialling?
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Aug 16, 2005
  5. non+'d

    Kyle Guest

    Here's another shot in the dark, I have a modem that uses a sold state
    switching device to go "off hook" and "on hook" (one of those cheapie
    Agere chipset based $10 modems) and it has a distinct AGP problem when
    going off hook, and I had to use "don't wait for dial tone" setting in
    the modem properties/advanced setup with an init string of: X3

    After applying this "fix", the modem actually connects quite fast, as
    fast a connection as any other modem I've used with v90 and v92.

    You'd get a lot more help if you provided more details, e.g., the
    modem brand and chipset and driver version used.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Aug 17, 2005
  6. non+'d

    non+'d Guest

    Already returned it for refund. Was U.S. Robotics Model: USR5699B.
    Even called their tech support, he talked me through the basic checks.
    Have previously used ISA type, am wondering if PCI is problem. Could a
    BIOS setting effect this? Might have changed something, poking around.
    If the matters, also use AGP graphics card and do know i can't use
    slot 1 PCI.
    I assume others are using PCI modems in this board uneventfully. If
    so, which brand/model. I really would like to update to V.92 standard.
    Also this 33.6, my backup, is sloooow.

    thanks

    non+'d, Aug 17, 2005