    this mean that I should not choose a graphics card that is designed to
    work in a PCIe 2.1 slot?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 3, 2011

  2. Daddy

    Pen Guest

    On 2/2/2011 10:46 PM, Daddy wrote:
    > I'm looking to upgrade the pantywaist G310 graphics card
    > that shipped with my Studio XPS 8100.
    >
    > I've noticed that some graphics cards are designed for a
    > PCIe 2.0 slot while others specify a PCIe 2.1 slot. My
    > computer has PCIe 2.0. Does this mean that I should not
    > choose a graphics card that is designed to work in a PCIe
    > 2.1 slot?
    >
    > Daddy

    It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
    features.

    Pen, Feb 3, 2011

  3. Daddy

    Pen, Feb 3, 2011
  4. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Pen wrote:
    > On 2/2/2011 10:46 PM, Daddy wrote:
    >> I'm looking to upgrade the pantywaist G310 graphics card
    >> that shipped with my Studio XPS 8100.
    >>
    >> I've noticed that some graphics cards are designed for a
    >> PCIe 2.0 slot while others specify a PCIe 2.1 slot. My
    >> computer has PCIe 2.0. Does this mean that I should not
    >> choose a graphics card that is designed to work in a PCIe
    >> 2.1 slot?
    >>
    >> Daddy

    > It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
    > features.

    Thank you. So if I'm comparing two cards by the same maker (HIS,
    Sapphire, etc.) and all other things are equal, I shouldn't pay extra
    for a PCIe 2.1 card...I gain no unique advantage with the 2.1 card. Is
    that correct?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 3, 2011
  5. Daddy

    Pen Guest

    On 2/3/2011 9:31 AM, Daddy wrote:
    > Pen wrote:
    >> On 2/2/2011 10:46 PM, Daddy wrote:
    >>> I'm looking to upgrade the pantywaist G310 graphics card
    >>> that shipped with my Studio XPS 8100.
    >>>
    >>> I've noticed that some graphics cards are designed for a
    >>> PCIe 2.0 slot while others specify a PCIe 2.1 slot. My
    >>> computer has PCIe 2.0. Does this mean that I should not
    >>> choose a graphics card that is designed to work in a PCIe
    >>> 2.1 slot?
    >>>
    >>> Daddy

    >> It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
    >> features.

    > Thank you. So if I'm comparing two cards by the same maker
    > (HIS, Sapphire, etc.) and all other things are equal, I
    > shouldn't pay extra for a PCIe 2.1 card...I gain no unique
    > advantage with the 2.1 card. Is that correct?
    >
    > Daddy

    That is correct unless you plan to use the card in a new
    computer with PCIe 3.0.

    Pen, Feb 4, 2011
  6. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Pen wrote:
    > On 2/3/2011 9:31 AM, Daddy wrote:
    >> Pen wrote:

    >>> It is backwards compatible, just won't use the advanced
    >>> features.

    >> Thank you. So if I'm comparing two cards by the same maker
    >> (HIS, Sapphire, etc.) and all other things are equal, I
    >> shouldn't pay extra for a PCIe 2.1 card...I gain no unique
    >> advantage with the 2.1 card. Is that correct?
    >>
    >> Daddy

    > That is correct unless you plan to use the card in a new
    > computer with PCIe 3.0.

    3.0! What next...4.0?

    Thanks for your help.

    Daddy