    do I know if the ram is working or not? Can this system take DDR modules? I
    am totally confused. Any assistance appreciated.
    Geo.
    Eos, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Eos

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm not sure what a "Performance 800" is. What speed of processor? Which
    motherboard chipset?

    For older Pentium II and Pentium III systems, the following guidelines apply:

    A desktop motherboard with an Intel 440BX chipset is usually limited to 768MB
    memory, consisting of 3x256MB 168-pin DIMMs with low-density memory chips.

    A desktop motherboard with a NEWER(!) Intel 810 or 815 chipset is limited to
    512MB memory, consisting of 2x256MB 168-pin DIMMs preferably with low-density
    memory chips.

    Chipsets for AMD processors have different limits. I can't comment on AMD
    systems, 'cause I don't know enough about them.

    In short, either the pair of 256s exceeds the chipset limitation of the
    motherboard or the memory does not meet the motherboard's specifications. Try
    the 256s one at a time and see what happens. If one works OK, install the
    second.

    Finally, download and run MEMTEST-86, the best and free comprehensive memory
    diagnostic. I always run MEMTEST-86 when doing memory upgrades. I have NEVER
    had a problem with memory installed in client's computers after I've run
    MEMTEST-86 successfully... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 28, 2005

  3. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:07:11 GMT, "Eos"
    <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >I have a Gateway Performance 800 which has 3 memory slots with one slot
    >holding a single module containing 128MBytes. I bought 2 x 256MB DIMM
    >modules from my local store, but they don't seem to be working properly. The
    >post shows numbers like "512MB, "152MB", and "36MB", but the bios shows the
    >2 x 256MB modules. That said, the PC won't make it to the splash screen of
    >Win XP Pro. It hangs and I have to power off then on again. Does anyone know
    >what the maximum amount of ram is which I can add to this machine? Also, how
    >do I know if the ram is working or not? Can this system take DDR modules? I
    >am totally confused. Any assistance appreciated.
    >Geo.

    Bens advice is sound as always.

    Another option is to go to

    http://www.crucial.com/

    and use their "memory advisor tool"

    I tool the liberty of plugging in your info and link is here (care -
    link will wrap almost certainly)

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...eway&tabid=CR&model=Performance 800&submit=Go

    Looks like it uses 168-pin DIMM SDRAM, PC133 module and its
    compatability is guarenteed by crucial.

    Says the Mobo can use 512MB max

    **************Quote ****************
    The Gateway Performance 800 has a maximum capacity of 512MB.
    You can achieve notable performance gains by upgrading to the 512MB
    maximum. This may require that you replace the modules that are
    currently in your system.
    (Keep in mind that sometimes BIOS updates and other hardware
    configurations can alter memory recommendations.)

    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Justin Thompson, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Eos

    Tweek Guest

    Even though the mainboard has three slots, the max memory for this machine
    is 512MB. If you still have the 128MB module in the machine, that may be the
    problem. As long as they are PC133 SDRAM modules, they should work.

    Tweek, Jun 28, 2005