Phenom 9850 Temperature Control

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Peter van der Goes, Sep 13, 2008.

  1. Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU voltage
    set to 1.175V.
    In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C with very
    little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
    No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
    I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF that came
    with the 9850.

    Asus M3A motherboard.

    What are you using? Suggestions?

    1. Advertising

  2. Richard P

    Richard P Guest

    Peter van der Goes wrote:
    > Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU
    > voltage set to 1.175V.
    > In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C with
    > very little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
    > No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
    > I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF that
    > came with the 9850.
    >
    > Asus M3A motherboard.
    >
    > What are you using? Suggestions?

    My 9850 also runs alittle warm at 48-50c Idle and 54-56C Full Load
    (prime95). You could reseat the HSF to see if that helps.

    1. Advertising

  3. "Richard P" <> wrote in message
    > Peter van der Goes wrote:
    >> Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU
    >> voltage set to 1.175V.
    >> In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C with
    >> very little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
    >> No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
    >> I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF that
    >> came with the 9850.
    >>
    >> Asus M3A motherboard.
    >>
    >> What are you using? Suggestions?
    >>

    > My 9850 also runs alittle warm at 48-50c Idle and 54-56C Full Load
    > (prime95). You could reseat the HSF to see if that helps.

    May I ask what HSF you are using? To be honest, I'm not confident the TT
    mounting system is all that good. The mounting "arm" doesn't appear to put
    that much pressure on the HSF, as it's easy to slide around with the lever
    in the locked position (not to mention that it's a pain to install).

    I was looking at this one as a possibility:

    http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/338

    I guess common sense would dictate that I try the HSF supplied with the CPU
    before spending more $$. eh?

  4. Richard P

    Richard P Guest

    Peter van der Goes wrote:
    > "Richard P" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter van der Goes wrote:
    >>> Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU
    >>> voltage set to 1.175V.
    >>> In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C
    >>> with very little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
    >>> No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
    >>> I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF
    >>> that came with the 9850.
    >>>
    >>> Asus M3A motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> What are you using? Suggestions?
    >>>

    >> My 9850 also runs alittle warm at 48-50c Idle and 54-56C Full Load
    >> (prime95). You could reseat the HSF to see if that helps.
    >>

    > May I ask what HSF you are using? To be honest, I'm not confident the TT
    > mounting system is all that good. The mounting "arm" doesn't appear to
    > put that much pressure on the HSF, as it's easy to slide around with the
    > lever in the locked position (not to mention that it's a pain to install).
    >
    > I was looking at this one as a possibility:
    >
    > http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/338
    >
    > I guess common sense would dictate that I try the HSF supplied with the
    > CPU before spending more $$. eh?

    I'm using the stock hsf that came with the cpu as my Freezer 64 pro wont
    fit in my case. The HSF toyr using definately doesnt sounnd as if it's
    fitting properly.

  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Peter van der Goes wrote:
    > "Richard P" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter van der Goes wrote:
    >>> Please share your solutions. My 9850 is running at 2.7 GHz with CPU
    >>> voltage set to 1.175V.
    >>> In a well-ventilated case (25C), SpeedFan reports CPU at 54 - 56C
    >>> with very little activity (web surfing, email, etc.)
    >>> No, I haven't run a full-on stress test for fear of the obvious.
    >>> I'm using a ThermalTake TMG A1, which seems no better than the HSF
    >>> that came with the 9850.
    >>>
    >>> Asus M3A motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> What are you using? Suggestions?
    >>>

    >> My 9850 also runs alittle warm at 48-50c Idle and 54-56C Full Load
    >> (prime95). You could reseat the HSF to see if that helps.
    >>

    > May I ask what HSF you are using? To be honest, I'm not confident the TT
    > mounting system is all that good. The mounting "arm" doesn't appear to
    > put that much pressure on the HSF, as it's easy to slide around with the
    > lever in the locked position (not to mention that it's a pain to install).
    >
    > I was looking at this one as a possibility:
    >
    > http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/338
    >
    > I guess common sense would dictate that I try the HSF supplied with the
    > CPU before spending more $$. eh?

    Says here, the theta_R is 0.17C/W. The 9850 has a TDP of 125W.
    0.17 * 125 = 21.25C rise above computer case ambient air temp.
    If the computer case air is 35C, the CPU should be 56.25C at
    full load (four Prime95 test threads). If you're at 56C when
    the CPU is idle, then it can't be working right.

    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1151&ID=1578

    The weight of the thing is 505g, so it isn't that heavy.
    About normal for an after market heatsink.

    The fan speed could play a part, and if the fan speed
    setting is adjusted down, that could be why it is that
    warm. In which case, maybe it'll speed up when it gets
    warmer. Or you could try adjusting the speed using
    Speedfan from almico.com .

    I trust it got some thermal paste during installation,
    as otherwise it would be even hotter.

    Paul

  6. None

    None Guest

    "Peter van der Goes" <> wrote in

    > I was looking at this one as a possibility:
    >
    > http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/338
    >
    > I guess common sense would dictate that I try the HSF supplied with
    > the CPU before spending more $$. eh?

    Indeed. However if the stock cooler fails to do the job, review some of the
    candidates in the following chart:

    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2233&page=5

    Although the tests were performed on an Intel processor, it is likely that
    you may see similar cooling effects on your AMD processor.

    Good luck.