Phenom X4 9850 running too hot or is it normal?? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Jassy0479, Dec 12, 2010.

  1. Jassy0479

    Jassy0479

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    Hi and thanks for viewing my question-
    This is my first post, so excuse me if spelling mistakes...

    I got a AMD phenom x4 9850 quad-core running at stock 2.5 GHz at the following temps -
    windows idealling - 50-52 C (room temp is 22C)
    running counter strike - 57C

    when I O.C to 2.85 GHz, temps read 55-57C windows idealling.
    These readings are from coretemp.

    Got a 120mm rear, 80mm side fan. used Arctic silver 5 thermal paste on CPU yesterday but still same results...It is a brand new assembled pc.
    I am very concerned if these are normal temps for a phenom x4 9850 or do I have something wrong??:confused:
    Here is my pc config -
    AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5Ghz AM2+ OEM
    ASUS M4A785-M AMD 785G Socket AM2+
    Thermaltake A4022 TR2-R1 CPU Fan
    Corsair 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-T Case w/450w

    any help will be greatly appreciated...

    Jassy0479, Dec 12, 2010
  2. Jassy0479

    linkinpark187

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    There's a pretty broad range in terms of CPU Temps, but they generally range from 30*C-45*C idle. You'll want to make sure it stays under ~60*C load, which you're cutting it really close. What do you have for a CPU Cooler? The other important thing I have to ask is what do you have for a PSU? It could possibly be that your PSU is too underpowered. When you have the chance, I would recommend going into your BIOS to check your PC Status. You're going to want to look for 3V+, 5V+, and 12V+. A little above or below is fine (±.5), but if they're more than ±1, then you may be in trouble. Another way to check (and a program I highly recommend) is PC Wizard. Also, how do you have the fans positioned? If you haven't already, I would suggest having the 80mm set as intake and the 120mm set as exhaust.

    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    linkinpark187, Dec 12, 2010
  3. Jassy0479

    Jassy0479

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    thanks for replying linkinpark!!

    1. CPU cooler - Thermaltake TR2-R1.
    2. 80mm is intake and 120mm is exhaust.
    3. Extreme 450 Watts PSU.

    thanks again for replying...

    Jassy0479, Dec 12, 2010
  4. Jassy0479

    linkinpark187

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    I took a look at the design, and what it was originally designed for, and I'd have to say that it's time for a new CPU Cooler. The design was intended for a Socket 939/AM2 processor, and as we all know, it's a bit outdated. What I would HIGHLY recommend that I use on my Phenom is the COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP. It's been a great cooler, has kept my processor around 30*C idle, and isn't so huge that you would have to worry about whether it would fit in your case or not. I hope I was of help! :D

    linkinpark187, Dec 13, 2010
  5. Jassy0479

    Jassy0479

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    thanks a lot again linkinpark!!

    thanks so much for your help!! I am going to buy a new CPU cooler asap..thinking of Xion HP9310P...

    thanks again my friend..:D

    Jassy0479, Dec 14, 2010