Phenom x6, initial impression

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by rms, May 4, 2010.

  1. rms

    rms Guest

    Just installed this tonight, put it into a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with the
    latest F7beta bios, and using
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7hardware/thread/71519d51-f6cb-47df-b3ff-66c2928d6de4
    first to make sure it detected all the cores.

    Changed the settings to 4ghz & 1.5v vcore, and with a noctua dh-14 heatsink
    it's peaking out around 55C after 1/2hr of prime95 on all cores. This is a
    full 0.1v less than my 955BE C3 is stable at, so I'm very impressed, and I'd
    imagine the x6 can run at 4ghz with even lower voltage or even higher
    clocks.

    Whatever new power-saving circuitry they added works even with cool&quiet
    disabled. I'm very happy with this purchase, especially at only $30 over a
    4 core 965BE, after rebates.

    rms

    1. Advertising

  2. PvdG42

    PvdG42 Guest

    "rms" <> wrote in message
    > Just installed this tonight, put it into a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with the
    > latest F7beta bios, and using
    > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7hardware/thread/71519d51-f6cb-47df-b3ff-66c2928d6de4
    > first to make sure it detected all the cores.
    >
    > Changed the settings to 4ghz & 1.5v vcore, and with a noctua dh-14
    > heatsink it's peaking out around 55C after 1/2hr of prime95 on all cores.
    > This is a full 0.1v less than my 955BE C3 is stable at, so I'm very
    > impressed, and I'd imagine the x6 can run at 4ghz with even lower voltage
    > or even higher clocks.
    >
    > Whatever new power-saving circuitry they added works even with cool&quiet
    > disabled. I'm very happy with this purchase, especially at only $30 over
    > a 4 core 965BE, after rebates.
    >
    > rms

    That sounds great. More performance, less heat :)

    I'm considering one for my Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UDH3, which has a 4/2010 BIOS
    update for new CPU recognition. I can then move the "old" 855 to an AM2+
    motherboard which can use it.

    1. Advertising

  3. AGross

    AGross Guest

    Hello,

    Do you happen to have an AMD2+ motherboard with SB600 to see if X6
    work?

    Officially, SB600-based AM2+ motherboards do not support the new X6-s.

  4. rms

    rms Guest

    > Do you happen to have an AMD2+ motherboard with SB600 to see if X6
    > work?

    No, sorry. I skipped one or generations this upgrade cycle, coming from
    a 939 socket dualcore opteron setup :)

    rms