    rebate, I may not be able to pass that up. Thank you so much for the CPU
    and RAM. You are the best!

    Patty

    Patty, May 27, 2007

  2. Patty wrote:

    | Hey Jef,
    |
    | I finally got it together and it works beautifully so far. It powered
    | up, booted to a floppy. BIOS recognizes the CPU and RAM. I
    | need to get a hard drive, I see that Circuit City has a Seagate
    | 160GB for $30 after mail-in rebate, I may not be able to pass
    | that up. Thank you so much for the CPU and RAM. You are the
    | best!
    |
    | Patty

    Hi Patty -

    Coolness! Happy to pass along the bits I had no need for. I was holding
    onto them for no particular reason and was glad they found a good home.

    And you can't beat that price for a hard disk, even if you do have to wait
    for the rebate.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, May 27, 2007

  3. Patty

    Patty Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:23:33 GMT, Bird Janitor® wrote:

    > Patty wrote:
    >|
    >| Hey Jef,
    >|
    >| I finally got it together and it works beautifully so far. It powered
    >| up, booted to a floppy. BIOS recognizes the CPU and RAM. I
    >| need to get a hard drive, I see that Circuit City has a Seagate
    >| 160GB for $30 after mail-in rebate, I may not be able to pass
    >| that up. Thank you so much for the CPU and RAM. You are the
    >| best!
    >|
    >| Patty
    >

    > Hi Patty -
    >
    > Coolness! Happy to pass along the bits I had no need for. I was holding
    > onto them for no particular reason and was glad they found a good home.
    >
    > And you can't beat that price for a hard disk, even if you do have to wait
    > for the rebate.
    >
    > Jef

    Turns out I had a 160GB hard drive. My daughter had tried to use it in an
    old computer (she got the hard drive from work, she works in an IT
    department) and it got errors and would not work correctly. I thought it
    was bad, but wondered about the fact of using it in a computer that needed
    an overlay just to use an 80GB hard drive. So, I hung onto it. Installed
    it in this computer and it appears to work perfectly. So, now I figure,
    the error problems with it had to do with the BIOS not recognizing it
    correctly and, even with the overly, there were still some problems between
    it and the BIOS of the old (very old) computer. So, I will see how this
    one works. So good so far. Just need another stick of RAM, I have a 512MB
    stick on order that I hope will play nice with the 256 that you sent. Then
    I'll be all set!

    Thanks again!

    Patty

    Patty, May 29, 2007
  4. Patty wrote:

    | Turns out I had a 160GB hard drive. My daughter had tried to use
    | it in an old computer (she got the hard drive from work, she works
    | in an IT department) and it got errors and would not work correctly.
    | I thought it was bad, but wondered about the fact of using it in a
    | computer that needed an overlay just to use an 80GB hard drive.
    | So, I hung onto it. Installed it in this computer and it appears to
    | work perfectly. So, now I figure, the error problems with it had to
    | do with the BIOS not recognizing it correctly and, even with the
    | overly, there were still some problems between it and the BIOS of
    | the old (very old) computer. So, I will see how this one works. So
    | good so far. Just need another stick of RAM, I have a 512MB
    | stick on order that I hope will play nice with the 256 that you sent.
    | Then I'll be all set!
    |
    | Thanks again!
    |
    | Patty

    Hi Patty -

    More coolness!

    Good thing your daughter gave you the 160GB drive from a computer whose BIOS
    probably didn't even break the 32GB barrier due to the BIOS bug present in
    the late 1990's. If I remember correctly, 24-bit LBA got us to 8.4GB and
    28-bit LBA was supposed to make us gold all the way to 128GB .. but the bug,
    largely in Award BIOS' of the 1998-1999 vintage effectively limited the
    motherboard to 32GB.

    But it's to your benefit they tossed the drive as defective rather than
    tossing the computer as obsolete.

    Hopefully your additional stick of RAM will be compatible with the one I
    sent you. You might have to limit the timings, so don't toss the baby with
    the bathwater until you've gone through the Memtest paces.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, May 30, 2007
  5. Patty

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:05:57 GMT, Bird Janitor® wrote:

    > Hi Patty -
    >
    > More coolness!
    >
    > Good thing your daughter gave you the 160GB drive from a computer whose BIOS
    > probably didn't even break the 32GB barrier due to the BIOS bug present in
    > the late 1990's. If I remember correctly, 24-bit LBA got us to 8.4GB and
    > 28-bit LBA was supposed to make us gold all the way to 128GB .. but the bug,
    > largely in Award BIOS' of the 1998-1999 vintage effectively limited the
    > motherboard to 32GB.
    >
    > But it's to your benefit they tossed the drive as defective rather than
    > tossing the computer as obsolete.
    >
    > Hopefully your additional stick of RAM will be compatible with the one I
    > sent you. You might have to limit the timings, so don't toss the baby with
    > the bathwater until you've gone through the Memtest paces.
    >
    > Jef

    Thanks, Jef. I bought Crucial PC2700, which I hope will work ok. Yeah,
    I'm sure that the old computer had to have the bug that limited it to the
    32GB. It was an old Compaq and I know they had models that did have that
    limitation, and it would not recognize the 80GB hard drive either. Right
    now I am so pleased to have a fairly decent computer for less than $100.
    And, I've gotten to use all these spare parts that have been laying around
    here for awhile.

    Patty

    Patty, May 30, 2007