Ping NZ Mac users: WTB - mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 3, 2011.

  1. Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

  2. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

    I was surprised to find several listings (for the same manufacturer:
    8ware), given they are only useful on older Mac models.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=mini dvi to hdmi adapter site:.nz

    If you don't want to muck around with TradeMe, I buy most of my locally
    sourced computer bits from Ascent. Here is their listing:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=393702

    Ascent's pricing is structured to include freight, so if you order two
    or more of the same item at once, you save on the freight costs for the
    extra ones.

    --
    David Empson

    1. Advertising

  3. nathalie_n

    nathalie_n Guest

    In article <1ka63pv.1397j355ldxuyN%>, Jamie
    Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

    Look here :

    <http://s.dealextreme.com/search/mini+DVI>

    They are quite cheap and reliable.

    --
    nathalie
    Progress is the process by which Usenet has evolved from smart people

  4. M-M

    M-M Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
    carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.

    You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
    mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:

  5. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

    While Apple doesn't make them, the Apple stores sell some Belkin ones.

  6. On Nov 4, 2:22 am, M-M <> wrote:
    > In article <1ka63pv.1397j355ldxuyN%>,
    >   (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    > > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

    > > TIA,
    > >  Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
    > carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.
    >
    > You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
    > mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?
    >
    > --
    > m-m
    > Photo Gallery:http://www.mhmyers.com

    Because the monitor I want has HDMI input only.

  7. On Nov 3, 11:39 pm, (David Empson) wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    > > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

    > I was surprised to find several listings (for the same manufacturer:
    > 8ware), given they are only useful on older Mac models.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=mini dvi to hdmi adapter site:.nz
    >
    > If you don't want to muck around with TradeMe, I buy most of my locally
    > sourced computer bits from Ascent. Here is their listing:
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=393702
    >
    > Ascent's pricing is structured to include freight, so if you order two
    > or more of the same item at once, you save on the freight costs for the
    > extra ones.
    >
    > --
    > David Empson

    Yeah, I like Ascent too, but for some reason my search on their site
    failed... what did I do wrong the day before? *scratches head* Well,
    never mind. That's exactly what I want for exactly the right price.
    Cheers David! You're a great regular to have here.

  8. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 04:35:41 -0700, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Yeah, I like Ascent too, but for some reason my search on their site
    > failed... what did I do wrong the day before? *scratches head* Well,
    > never mind. That's exactly what I want for exactly the right price.

    FWIW one of my local websites I use to source kit occasionally burps. One
    day it told me that they didn't supply any Firewire drives at all; the
    next day it was fine.

    --
    Paul Sture

    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to
    determine whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln

  9. In article
    <>,
    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > > > Anyone know where to buy a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor in NZ for a
    > > > reasonable price? I can only find the mini-DVI to DVI-D one.

    > > > TIA,
    > > >  Jamie Kahn Genet

    > > Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
    > > carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.
    > >
    > > You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
    > > mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?
    > >
    > > --
    > > m-m
    > > Photo Gallery:http://www.mhmyers.com

    > Because the monitor I want has HDMI input only.

    What are you outputting from?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

  10. On Nov 5, 6:38 am, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,

    > > > Why is it necessary to have the HDMI? The advantage to HDMI is it
    > > > carries video AND audio but the mini-DVI port only sends the video.

    > > > You would need another wire to carry the audio. Why not just use a
    > > > mini-DVI to DVI or VGA?

    > > > --
    > > > m-m
    > > > Photo Gallery:http://www.mhmyers.com

    > > Because the monitor I want has HDMI input only.

    > What are you outputting from?

    Mid-2007 24" iMac

  11. On Nov 5, 4:07 am, Paul Sture <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 04:35:41 -0700, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Yeah, I like Ascent too, but for some reason my search on their site
    > > failed... what did I do wrong the day before? *scratches head* Well,
    > > never mind. That's exactly what I want for exactly the right price.

    > FWIW one of my local websites I use to source kit occasionally burps. One
    > day it told me that they didn't supply any Firewire drives at all; the
    > next day it was fine.

    I worked it out - searching on 'mini-DVI MDMI' results in no hits on
    Ascent. But 'mini DVI HDMI' does. Silly.

  12. In article
    <>,
    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > > > Because the monitor I want has HDMI input only.

    > > What are you outputting from?

    > Mid-2007 24" iMac

    then you'll need a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, not a DVI to HDMI adaptor.
    Apple doesn't sell one, but Google should be able to help you; just search
    for "mini dvi to hdmi"

    --

  13. On Nov 6, 5:49 am, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,

    > > > What are you outputting from?

    > > Mid-2007 24" iMac

    > then you'll need a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, not a DVI to HDMI adaptor.
    > Apple doesn't sell one, but Google should be able to help you; just search
    > for "mini dvi to hdmi"

    Uhhh... isn't that what I said?

  14. In article
    <>,
    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > > then you'll need a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, not a DVI to HDMI adaptor.
    > > Apple doesn't sell one, but Google should be able to help you; just search
    > > for "mini dvi to hdmi"

    > Uhhh... isn't that what I said?

    My apologies; in reading the message, I totally blanked out on "mini-".
    Chalk it up to my having a senior moment or five.

    --

  15. Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:
    >
    > > > then you'll need a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, not a DVI to HDMI adaptor.
    > > > Apple doesn't sell one, but Google should be able to help you; just search
    > > > for "mini dvi to hdmi"

    > > Uhhh... isn't that what I said?

    > My apologies; in reading the message, I totally blanked out on "mini-".
    > Chalk it up to my having a senior moment or five.

    Heh, no worries. I have those moments and I'm only 33... :-\