Planning to buy a Q6600: What RAM, which Mainboard?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Daniel Albuschat, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    I'm currently a bit frustrated about my setup, because my new
    GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB is just too big for my CPU, a Pentium D
    2.8GHz.

    I've overclocked the Pentium D to about 4GHz, but it's still
    slow in comparison to a Core 2 Duo or even a Core 2 Quad.

    Well, I got a few questions about the CPU-upgrade, though:
    I have a watercooled system that has no problem on keeping
    the overclocked Pentium D and the highly overclocked GeForce
    quite cool: The CPU does not hit the 60°C and the GPU is around
    52°C at maximum load (the Pentium D is a hot beast).

    So it'd be quite natural that I try overclocking the Q6600, too.

    What's a good board (that's not extremely expensive) and can
    I keep my DDR2-800 RAM? Is DDR2-800 a good idea for a Q6600, anyways?

    By the way, I'm one of the P5WD2-E Premium owners that are
    currently *very* frustrated that the board does not support
    Core 2 Duo. :-(

    Thanks,

    Daniel
    Daniel Albuschat, Oct 19, 2007

  2. [...]

    As this seems to be very similar to the previous post:
    I don't want to spend the bucks I'd need for an ASUS Striker
    Extreme. :)
    It should really be a bit less expensive...
    Daniel Albuschat, Oct 19, 2007

  3. Daniel Albuschat

    Ed M. Guest

    "Daniel Albuschat" <> wrote in message
    > [...]
    >
    > As this seems to be very similar to the previous post:
    > I don't want to spend the bucks I'd need for an ASUS Striker
    > Extreme. :)
    > It should really be a bit less expensive...

    The Asus P5N32E SLI is based on the same 680I chipset as the Striker Extreme
    with less bells and whistles and the NB/SB cooling is a bit less effective
    as the Striker, but it works well. There are others here that have used the
    EVGA 680i board (forget the model) with success.

    Ed
    Ed M., Oct 19, 2007
  4. Ed M. schrieb:
    > "Daniel Albuschat" <> wrote in message
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> As this seems to be very similar to the previous post:
    >> I don't want to spend the bucks I'd need for an ASUS Striker
    >> Extreme. :)
    >> It should really be a bit less expensive...

    > The Asus P5N32E SLI is based on the same 680I chipset as the Striker Extreme
    > with less bells and whistles and the NB/SB cooling is a bit less effective
    > as the Striker, but it works well. There are others here that have used the
    > EVGA 680i board (forget the model) with success.

    Thanks for the answer, I think the P5N32E SLI would be exactly what I
    needed. I just read about the new Intel X38 chipset which supports
    DDR2 and DDR3 at 1333MHz, PCI-e 2.0 and the upcoming Penryn (45nm)
    cores, so I will definitely wait for a board with this chipset!
    The only downside is that there will be no SLI-support :-(

    Regards,

    Daniel
    Daniel Albuschat, Oct 19, 2007
  5. Daniel Albuschat

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Daniel Albuschat' wrote:
    | There actually *is* already a X38 Motherboard out there:
    | The Gigabyte X38-DQ6. Here's a test:
    | http://www.pcper.com/article.php?type=expert&aid=462&pid=2
    |
    | It seems to be really cool, according to that article.
    _____

    Other than the fact that the X38 is an Intel chip, it doesn't look very
    interesting at all. Certainly not at the possible risk of SLI (if that is
    important to you.) The nVidia 680i chipset still seems to be the better
    choice. And when the Nelahem arrives, neither chipset will do.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Oct 19, 2007

    Daniel Albuschat, Oct 19, 2007