Please Help Dell Inspiron 3800

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bartmank11, Apr 28, 2007.

  1. Bartmank11

    Bartmank11 Guest

    Hello and let me thank anyone who reply's to this post in advanced for
    the help it's sooo appreciated.....OK lets begin

    I have a dell Inspiron 3800 laptop... a couple years back the damn
    thing was giving me crazy sounds from the fan so i decided i would see
    if maybe something was off keep in mind i fix computers on the side as
    a side job.

    --But this was my first notebook to fix ..So I downloaded the service
    manual online and proceeded to take her apart piece by piece

    --I got in there took the fan out wrote down part number closed her up
    and turned on .....

    --All i got when i hit the power button was the three led's blinking
    once in sync and not booting no sound nothing-----AHHHHH !!

    --I have already bought a new power Module.... a new whole board...a
    new keyboard unit and still every time I get new piece BAM same
    f(*&kin light

    Help on what could be causing this issue ?
    And how to resurrect this old girl

    Notes: The service manual stated that the keyboard held kram info ...
    it got disconnected from the board.
    ---I figured this was the laptop version of bios and that why i bought
    new keyboard ...
    Also what is Kram ?

    Also i have had this thing siting in a box for 2 years ---thats how
    long since i have touched it it's kind of a depressing thing that had
    followed me but i love it
    Can anyone help ?

    Thank you

    Kenneth Densmore
    E-Mail Address

    THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCED FOR ANY HELP !!

    Bartmank11, Apr 28, 2007

  2. Bartmank11

    Bill Joy Guest

    These systems have a problem with the clips used to hold down the CPU not
    being very strong. Try re-seating it.

    Bill Joy, Apr 28, 2007

  3. Bartmank11

    Fixer Guest

    you've replaced everything bar the CPU its self and memory, to thats where
    i'd be looking, personally I would go for memory first try reseating it
    beore splashing out on some new modules maybe a friend has some your can
    borrow out of anothert machine?????? but its cheap enough anyway

    Fixer, Apr 28, 2007
  4. i agree. the symptom of nothing happening on power up other than the num
    luck/caps lock/scroll lock lights turning on indicates a poorly seated cpu
    or memory module(s). the 3800 is also notorious for keyboard problems do to
    the poor ribbon cable connector on the motherboard but that would not stop
    it from booting (and is usually cured by reseating the keyboard ribbon
    cable).

    Christopher Muto, Apr 28, 2007
  5. Bartmank11

    Bartmank11 Guest

    On Apr 28, 3:29 am, "Fixer" <> wrote:
    > you've replaced everything bar the CPU its self and memory, to thats where
    > i'd be looking, personally I would go for memory first try reseating it
    > beore splashing out on some new modules maybe a friend has some your can
    > borrow out of anothert machine?????? but its cheap enough anyway"Bill Joy" <> wrote in message

    > > These systems have a problem with the clips used to hold down the CPU not
    > > being very strong. Try re-seating it.

    > > "Bartmank11" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello and let me thank anyone who reply's to this post in advanced for
    > >> the help it's sooo appreciated.....OK lets begin

    > >> I have a dell Inspiron 3800 laptop... a couple years back the damn
    > >> thing was giving me crazy sounds from the fan so i decided i would see
    > >> if maybe something was off keep in mind i fix computers on the side as
    > >> a side job.

    > >> --But this was my first notebook to fix ..So I downloaded the service
    > >> manual online and proceeded to take her apart piece by piece

    > >> --I got in there took the fan out wrote down part number closed her up
    > >> and turned on .....

    > >> --All i got when i hit the power button was the three led's blinking
    > >> once in sync and not booting no sound nothing-----AHHHHH !!

    > >> --I have already bought a new power Module.... a new whole board...a
    > >> new keyboard unit and still every time I get new piece BAM same
    > >> f(*&kin light

    > >> Help on what could be causing this issue ?
    > >> And how to resurrect this old girl

    UPDATE: GOD DAMN YOU GUYS ARE FAST!!!

    Uhh.. I said replaced everything i mean everything I bought a whole
    new motherboard for the damn this included the processor as well. I
    will try to re-seat though......One more question to go along with
    this I just recently inherited a new laptop....Of course we all know
    WINDOWS is a bitch and doesn't like to work on other chipsets any
    help with trying to get this old laptop drive in there and getting it
    working without a complete reformat and of course all the still on
    there!!

    Bartmank11, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Bartmank11

    Bartmank11 Guest

    On Apr 29, 10:38 am, Bartmank11 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 28, 3:29 am, "Fixer" <> wrote:
    >

    > > you've replaced everything bar the CPU its self and memory, to thats where
    > > i'd be looking, personally I would go for memory first try reseating it
    > > beore splashing out on some new modules maybe a friend has some your can
    > > borrow out of anothert machine?????? but its cheap enough anyway"Bill Joy" <> wrote in message

    > > > These systems have a problem with the clips used to hold down the CPU not
    > > > being very strong. Try re-seating it.

    > > > "Bartmank11" <> wrote in message

    > UPDATE: GOD DAMN YOU GUYS ARE FAST!!!
    >
    > Uhh.. I said replaced everything i mean everything I bought a whole
    > new motherboard for the damn this included the processor as well. I
    > will try to re-seat though......One more question to go along with
    > this I just recently inherited a new laptop....Of course we all know
    > WINDOWS is a bitch and doesn't like to work on other chipsets any
    > help with trying to get this old laptop drive in there and getting it
    > working without a complete reformat and of course all the still on
    > there!!

    UPDATE 2 Sorry Typo

    Put on another laptop with all the information working and on there
    THANK you guys again this problem just makes me want to never mess
    with a laptop again LOL

    Bartmank11, Apr 29, 2007
  7. "Bartmank11" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 28, 3:29 am, "Fixer" <> wrote:
    >> you've replaced everything bar the CPU its self and memory, to thats
    >> where
    >> i'd be looking, personally I would go for memory first try reseating it
    >> beore splashing out on some new modules maybe a friend has some your can
    >> borrow out of anothert machine?????? but its cheap enough anyway"Bill
    >> Joy" <> wrote in message

    >> > These systems have a problem with the clips used to hold down the CPU
    >> > not
    >> > being very strong. Try re-seating it.

    >> > "Bartmank11" <> wrote in message

    > UPDATE: GOD DAMN YOU GUYS ARE FAST!!!
    >
    > Uhh.. I said replaced everything i mean everything I bought a whole
    > new motherboard for the damn this included the processor as well. I
    > will try to re-seat though......One more question to go along with
    > this I just recently inherited a new laptop....Of course we all know
    > WINDOWS is a bitch and doesn't like to work on other chipsets any
    > help with trying to get this old laptop drive in there and getting it
    > working without a complete reformat and of course all the still on
    > there!!

    if you are asking if an existing windows installation on a hard disk on one
    computer will boot and work on another the answer is probably not (unless it
    is very similar or identical hardware). you could try putting the old drive
    in the new and then doing a repair install of windows and load the chipset
    and other drivers but personally i wouldn't spend the time on it as it will
    likely have issues and is time spent for which there might be no value. if
    you want try you can carefully and closely follow these excellent
    instructions... but if you don't follow them exactly you can entirely wipe
    your hard drive.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 30, 2007
  8. Bartmank11

    Bartmank11 Guest

    On Apr 29, 9:16 pm, "Christopher Muto" <> wrote:
    > "Bartmank11" <> wrote in message

    > > On Apr 28, 3:29 am, "Fixer" <> wrote:
    > >> you've replaced everything bar the CPU its self and memory, to thats
    > >> where
    > >> i'd be looking, personally I would go for memory first try reseating it
    > >> beore splashing out on some new modules maybe a friend has some your can
    > >> borrow out of anothert machine?????? but its cheap enough anyway"Bill
    > >> Joy" <> wrote in message

    > > UPDATE: GOD DAMN YOU GUYS ARE FAST!!!

    > > Uhh.. I said replaced everything i mean everything I bought a whole
    > > new motherboard for the damn this included the processor as well. I
    > > will try to re-seat though......One more question to go along with
    > > this I just recently inherited a new laptop....Of course we all know
    > > WINDOWS is a bitch and doesn't like to work on other chipsets any
    > > help with trying to get this old laptop drive in there and getting it
    > > working without a complete reformat and of course all the still on
    > > there!!

    > if you are asking if an existing windows installation on a hard disk on one
    > computer will boot and work on another the answer is probably not (unless it
    > is very similar or identical hardware). you could try putting the old drive
    > in the new and then doing a repair install of windows and load the chipset
    > and other drivers but personally i wouldn't spend the time on it as it will
    > likely have issues and is time spent for which there might be no value. if
    > you want try you can carefully and closely follow these excellent
    > instructions... but if you don't follow them exactly you can entirely wipe
    > your hard drive.http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    WOOH !!!!!

    Ok so i have pretty much given up on the old laptop but check this
    heres some BOMB info!!

    So i was not able to repair the window install on the hard drive
    BUT !!

    I used the WInxp Disc that came with the newer laptop which is an HP
    not a dell mind you !
    Not one of those official disks but one that works on a fresh hard
    drive none the least now
    I ran the setup up selected the Partition that XP was already selected
    and hit enter to install .....

    It un-installed the old .DLL fields and went though the old install
    process...
    it was an old disk so during the end of the install the disk was so
    full i had too skip a couple files ....
    After restart I was able to log onto my old log on name and even had
    my original logon pic my custom boot and logon screen work's all the
    old setting my old Stardock suite OHHHH I am so happy

    SO i guess you can install 2 instances on the same Partition and log
    into the original maybe cause the XP disc that came with the new one
    was an XP to work directly on that terminal so it took out stuff it
    didn't recognize and put it the stuff that should be there???

    Anyway I am not questioning it and I appreciate everyone's input on
    this matter still don't know what wrong with the old one tried re-
    setting cpu didn't work maybe the cpu's on the main cpu board???

    Anyway this post been up for a while and thanks to everyone in this
    group i will contribute to any help I can give showing how much i love
    i just received

    THANKS AGAIN ONE MORE TIME GUYS FROM ON GEEK TO THE NEXT!!!

    Bartmank11, Apr 30, 2007