    Any help would be really appreciated. I'm a complete novice with laptops and
    this is really bugging me. I'm used to a 800x600 and 32 bit True Colour.
    Thank you.
    Guest, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Guest

    Paul R Smith Guest

    Sounds like you need a video driver.

    You can download it here:

    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/eng/software_drivers.html

    Good luck.

    <> wrote in message news:bissep$r7d$...
    > I recently bought a secondhand laptop (Hewlett Packard Omnibook 1200). I

    had
    > to install the operating system which I've done (Windows 98). Everything

    is
    > fine but. The screen is stuck at 640x480 and 16 colours! What I want to

    know

    Paul R Smith, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks but I've already tried installing these drivers from the HP website.
    I sorted out my audio with these drivers but not the display. I suspect that
    it is the video card. Can this be upgraded in a 2100? I have been reading
    about the specifications of this model on the HP website and apparetly it
    says that the 2100 can do 800x600 and 64k colours - mine doesn't but it
    might be an old video card. Is it possible to upgrade yourself - does anyone
    know (sorry if this is an obvious question I aven't a clue about the
    workings of laptops). Cheers.

    Graham

    Guest, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Guest

    Obiwansmith Guest

    Sadly, probably not. 99% of laptops made then usually have the video card
    attached to the system board. You may just save the trouble and plop down
    300 bucks on ebay for a laptop that can do the colors you want. Or there
    might be a local re-seller in your area. Good luck.

    Obiwansmith, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Guest

    mike Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks but I've already tried installing these drivers from the HP website.
    > I sorted out my audio with these drivers but not the display. I suspect that
    > it is the video card. Can this be upgraded in a 2100? I have been reading
    > about the specifications of this model on the HP website and apparetly it
    > says that the 2100 can do 800x600 and 64k colours - mine doesn't but it
    > might be an old video card. Is it possible to upgrade yourself - does anyone
    > know (sorry if this is an obvious question I aven't a clue about the
    > workings of laptops). Cheers.
    >
    > Graham

    You have to get the "right" drivers. You flipped between 2100 and 1200.
    If you downloaded the wrong drivers...if you find a treatment for
    dsylexia, let me know, I need it too...

    I had a similar problem with a Gateway computer. The drivers on the
    Gateway site wouldn't let me get out of 16 color mode. I found drivers
    elsewhere that worked. Start with driverguide.com.

    mike

    laptops and parts
    4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
    Honda CB-125S
    400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $450
    Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
    Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser
    mike, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Guest

    Gary Tait Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:14:19 +0100, <> wrote:

    >I recently bought a secondhand laptop (Hewlett Packard Omnibook 1200). I had
    >to install the operating system which I've done (Windows 98). Everything is
    >fine but. The screen is stuck at 640x480 and 16 colours! What I want to know
    >is, is this a driver problem or a hardware problem? If if is a hardware
    >problem, can it be upgraded and resolved?
    >
    >Any help would be really appreciated. I'm a complete novice with laptops and
    >this is really bugging me. I'm used to a 800x600 and 32 bit True Colour.
    >Thank you.

    If you have installed the drivers, the nest step is to specify the
    display type.
    Gary Tait, Aug 31, 2003
  7. It's definitely a driver issue, most commonly, either no driver is
    installed, or the wrong driver, or it's incorrectly configured.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 3, 2003
  8. Guest

    Robert Toy Guest

    You need to have the proper driver for the video chipset. Windows will
    use a default driver if it can't find a match on the install cd. Go to
    the HP web site and look for the drivers for your laptop. I have had
    the same problem with a different brand of laptop, so I know exactly
    what you are talking about.

    Robert Toy, Sep 7, 2003