    able to increase oc more.

    Should I get 800Mhz ddr2 (very common and cheap) or something faster? When
    oc the board, am I going to hit the CPU limit first or the memory?
    john, Aug 22, 2008

  2. john

    Guest

    On Aug 23, 6:30 pm, "Phil Weldon" <> wrote:

    >  I suggest you rethink your approach.  No $1000 US non-Xeon Intel CPUs
    > will EVER be 'cheap'.

    The exception to this is ebay. Unopened box factory sealed QX6850
    sell for $300-$350. It's more a a risk than say Newegg, though both
    ebay
    and paypal offer buyer protection. I haven't read the fine print.

    > two year old 'Extreme' CPU provides less performance
    > than a two year newer CPU that is not an 'Extreme' version.

    Less heat for sure.

    Performance? Maybe. The thing with unlocked CPUs is you can overclock
    _only_ the cpu. The rest of the motherboard can stay stock.
    These ebay cpus are priced the same as Neweggs Q9550 today. They are
    next gen (45nm VS 65nm, 12MB cache VS 8MB) but locked at 2.83GHz.
    As soon as you overclock them, the FSB/Northbridge/Southbridge get
    overclocked too. It sounds like the QX6850 goes to 4Ghz easily with no
    stress
    on the rest of the mb, not so with the Q9550. You won't be able to use
    stock cooling.

    It's not an easy call, IMHO.

    >  Motherboard recommendation?  Almost anything within your price range
    > that has good reviews.

    The 48X chipset has good reviews, from a overclock friendly
    manufacturer
    like Abit or Asus (there are others)

    > "john" <> wrote in messagenews:g8l6oj$t6v$...
    > >It is used mainly for video
    > >editing and encoding: one 2D video card with dual link (for 2560 x 1600
    > >monitor), 2 to 4G DDR2

    I would get 8GB for video editing, pretty cheap these days.

    > > Should I get 800Mhz ddr2 (very common and cheap) or something faster? When
    > > oc the board, am I going to hit the CPU limit first or the memory?

    Then trend in OC seems to be not to OC the memory. Perhaps the
    CPU caches make this less important. You could just buy
    the fastest memory supported by your mb for not much more money.

    HTH

    Andrew
    , Sep 7, 2008