PNY 6600GT?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Jim George, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Jim George

    Jim George Guest

    Hi all,
    I bought a PNY 6600GT PCI-E recently, because I wanted a card with DVI
    on the first monitor output (the only other one with this feature that I
    found was XFX, which was out of stock on NewEgg). I bought the PNY
    because I got tired of waiting, but then later I found that while there
    are some scattered reviews of the PNY 6800 GT, there's nothing on the
    6600 GT.
    Anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with this card? It's been working
    fine for me (stable, no artifacts, temp's within safe limits), I've not
    tried to OC it yet. It's sitting on an MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI mobo.
    Here's one problem I'm having with this setup: I can't get Fedora Core
    3 to work properly. On bootup in framebuffer mode, the screen's garbled.
    FC3 does not recognize the card, so it uses the VESA driver, which also
    shows a garbled screen. The odd thing is that the installer works fine.
    Anyway, I booted FC3 without the framebuffer in runlevel 3, got the
    nVidia drivers and set it up according to the instructions on the
    readme. X now starts, but I can't get the resolution to change from what
    appears to be 800x600 16 bit. Any ideas? Most reports on Linux on this
    card seem to say it works fine after putting in the new drivers, but
    then it may be my mobo which is causing this.
    Thanks!
    -Jim
    Jim George, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Jim George

    DaveL Guest

    It looks like a decent card. It has heatsinks on the ram chips. Most other
    6600GTs don't have that. I have heard bad things about PNY warranties. As
    far as games go it should be the same as any other manufacturer. You should
    be more concerned with what version nvidia driver you are using.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Jim George wrote:

    > I bought a PNY 6600GT PCI-E recently, because I wanted a card with DVI
    > on the first monitor output (the only other one with this feature
    > that I found was XFX, which was out of stock on NewEgg). I bought the
    > PNY because I got tired of waiting, but then later I found that while
    > there are some scattered reviews of the PNY 6800 GT, there's nothing
    > on the 6600 GT.
    > Anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with this card?

    I have the PNY Verto 6600GT PCIe in my HP xw8200 (2x XEON 3GHz, 2GB DDR2).
    Very nice card...

    > It's been
    > working fine for me (stable, no artifacts, temp's within safe
    > limits), I've not tried to OC it yet. It's sitting on an MSI Neo4
    > Platinum SLI mobo. Here's one problem I'm having with this setup: I
    > can't get Fedora Core 3 to work properly. On bootup in framebuffer
    > mode, the screen's garbled. FC3 does not recognize the card, so it
    > uses the VESA driver, which also shows a garbled screen. The odd
    > thing is that the installer works fine. Anyway, I booted FC3 without
    > the framebuffer in runlevel 3, got the nVidia drivers and set it up
    > according to the instructions on the readme. X now starts, but I
    > can't get the resolution to change from what appears to be 800x600 16
    > bit. Any ideas? Most reports on Linux on this card seem to say it
    > works fine after putting in the new drivers, but then it may be my
    > mobo which is causing this.

    Can't help You with that since I avoid Linux as much as possible, but You
    should try to install the Nvidia Linux drivers which are said to be very
    good...

    Another thing is if FC3 can also handle the new nForce4 chipset on Your
    mainboard...

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Jim George

    Jim George Guest

    Well, I did try to OC my GPU recently, and I found it crashing quite
    often (UT2004 would slow to about 1/2 fps). So I got myself this program
    called rthdribl_1_2 from www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa , which flexes the
    capabilities of the new 6xxx series cards by rendering scenes with lots
    of pixel shaders and HDR. The point is I can run it windowed and still
    make the GPU heat up. Looking at the nvidia control panel, the temp went
    up to 85 degrees!!! This was without OCing. I guess the excess heat was
    why UT crashed. I will be putting in a replacement GPU cooler as soon as
    I can afford one.

    Linux: I just had to modify the max horiz and vert retrace periods for
    my LCD, and it now works at 1280x1024 with 3D enabled.

    -Jim
    Jim George, Mar 6, 2005