Poorly written software is at the root of all of our securityproblems

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Robert Myers, Jan 29, 2010.

  1. Robert Myers

    Robert Myers Guest

    You can find the claim in the subject line as the top-rated risk at

    http://www.csl.sri.com/users/neumann/insiderisks08.html#220

    I found that link from the useful (moderated) newsgroup comp.risks.

    I found my way to that newsgroup at the suggestion of a former
    government official who probably got tired of my repeated comments
    about US incompetence and laziness with regard to information
    security.

    How important you think the integrity of the Internet (and the
    financial system) should be may be culturally-dependent.

    If you live in the gunslinger mentality of so much of the former
    Warsaw pact, the solution to any security problem might well be
    another round of vodka shots.

    Russia, for example, is ranked 117 on the world corruption audit

    http://www.worldaudit.org/corruption.htm

    The country I have repeatedly slighted by implication is well up the
    list, not so very far below, say, Costa Rica.

    The United States has nothing to brag about in that department, as it
    is almost at the end of the list of First World countries, just two
    slots below the UK.

    In any case, software integrity is a *very* big problem. If you are
    trying to argue otherwise, my guess is that you don't think integrity
    is all that important.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Jan 29, 2010

  2. Robert Myers

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Feb 1, 7:23 am, Sebastian Kaliszewski
    <> wrote:
    >  > [Robert Myers written nonsense snipped]
    >
    > Yet another off-topic post by RM (off-topic on both groups he crossposted).
    > Yet, He just wrote, he will not continue the discussion, yet he
    > continues it. How predictable... :)
    >
    > Then the post is filled with rambling about buch of unrelated things,
    > peppered with some poor attempts at ad hominem, all intermixed with
    > demonstration with very poor understanding of the matter he tries to
    > discuss. Whether he tries to discuss realities of former Warsaw Pact
    > countries, software security, software integrity, risk estimation, his
    > jedgement shows similar level of cluelessness.
    >
    > (Besides, sorry Mr. Myers, i'm not Russian, so wrong shot, troll)

    First of all, cowboy, you decided to resurrect this topic in a
    completely unrelated thread about Intel's compiler. So long as the
    discussion began in these groups, that's where the discussion should
    end.

    Secondly, it is clear from the logic of my post that I did not believe
    you to be Russian, only from a former Warsaw Pact country whose
    position on the corruption list I located a bit below Costa Rica
    (which I am sure must produce *some* of its foreign exchange through
    legal means with unlaundered cash).

    Thirdly, I care no more what you think of me than what Prof.
    Redelmeier thinks of me. The fact that many misuse statistics and
    draw false conclusions from them the way you do is no defense for
    you. You don't understand what you are doing and you defend it by
    heaping up misinformation and abuse.

    Fourthly, the proper manner of formal address is Dr. Myers.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Feb 1, 2010

  3. Re: Poorly written software is at the root of all of our security ?problems

    In cshipc Robert Myers <> wrote in part:
    > Fourthly, the proper manner of formal address is Dr. Myers.

    Touchy, touchy. I'm presuming PhD 'cuz MDs have little knowledge
    of fluid dynamics. Although there are some interesting problems
    around shear minimization for heart valves and arterial grafts.

    -- Robert R

    Robert Redelmeier, Feb 2, 2010
  4. Robert Myers wrote:
    > On Feb 1, 7:23 am, Sebastian Kaliszewski
    > <> wrote:
    >> > [Robert Myers written nonsense snipped]

    >> Yet another off-topic post by RM (off-topic on both groups he crossposted).
    >> Yet, He just wrote, he will not continue the discussion, yet he
    >> continues it. How predictable... :)
    >>
    >> Then the post is filled with rambling about buch of unrelated things,
    >> peppered with some poor attempts at ad hominem, all intermixed with
    >> demonstration with very poor understanding of the matter he tries to
    >> discuss. Whether he tries to discuss realities of former Warsaw Pact
    >> countries, software security, software integrity, risk estimation, his
    >> jedgement shows similar level of cluelessness.
    >>
    >> (Besides, sorry Mr. Myers, i'm not Russian, so wrong shot, troll)
    >>

    > First of all, cowboy, you decided to resurrect this topic in a
    > completely unrelated thread about Intel's compiler. So long as the
    > discussion began in these groups, that's where the discussion should
    > end.

    Actually, this is far enough off any relation to Intel that moving the
    discussion with a "Followups-To" somewhere else would be appropriate. Don't take
    that as an endorsement of (or disagreement with) Mr Kaliszewski's other points,
    but on the suggestion that this is no longer relevant to Intel, I believe he is
    right.

    Bill Davidsen, Feb 2, 2010
  5. Robert Myers

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Feb 2, 1:38 pm, Robert Redelmeier <> wrote:
    > In cshipc Robert Myers <> wrote in part:
    >
    > > Fourthly, the proper manner of formal address is Dr. Myers.

    > Touchy, touchy.  I'm presuming PhD 'cuz MDs have little knowledge
    > of fluid dynamics.  Although there are some interesting problems
    > around shear minimization for heart valves and arterial grafts.

    Formal address where informal address is commonly used is hostile.
    That being the case, I'm going to insist on the socially-correct
    honorific.

    Had you been paying attention, you'd know a lot about my educational
    background.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Feb 2, 2010
  6. Robert Myers

    Robert Myers Guest

    On Feb 2, 2:03 pm, Bill Davidsen <> wrote:
    > Robert Myers wrote:
    > > On Feb 1, 7:23 am, Sebastian Kaliszewski
    > > <> wrote:
    > >>  > [Robert Myers written nonsense snipped]

    > >> Yet another off-topic post by RM (off-topic on both groups he crossposted).
    > >> Yet, He just wrote, he will not continue the discussion, yet he
    > >> continues it. How predictable... :)

    > >> Then the post is filled with rambling about buch of unrelated things,
    > >> peppered with some poor attempts at ad hominem, all intermixed with
    > >> demonstration with very poor understanding of the matter he tries to
    > >> discuss. Whether he tries to discuss realities of former Warsaw Pact
    > >> countries, software security, software integrity, risk estimation, his
    > >> jedgement shows similar level of cluelessness.

    > >> (Besides, sorry Mr. Myers, i'm not Russian, so wrong shot, troll)

    > > First of all, cowboy, you decided to resurrect this topic in a
    > > completely unrelated thread about Intel's compiler.  So long as the
    > > discussion began in these groups, that's where the discussion should
    > > end.

    > Actually, this is far enough off any relation to Intel that moving the
    > discussion with a "Followups-To" somewhere else would be appropriate. Don't take
    > that as an endorsement of (or disagreement with) Mr Kaliszewski's other points,
    > but on the suggestion that this is no longer relevant to Intel, I believehe is
    > right.

    I beg to differ. The material is no further away from Intel systems
    than lawsuits against Intel. Both issues may (or may not) materially
    affect users of Intel systems. Of the two issues, poorly-written
    software is much more likely to have an impact on users of Intel
    products and IBM-compatible computers--where the problem was
    practically invented because of a hardware monoculture. If you can't
    follow the logic, I'll mail you a diagram.

    If you address me in a group, you may expect that I will respond to
    you there.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Feb 2, 2010