Possible to change list selection behavior when deleting items?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by raggio, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. raggio

    raggio Guest

    I still can't get used to it and was wonderingi f it could be changed.
    I find that in Mail and iTunes when I use the delete key to delete an
    item, that the system selects the item before the one I deleted and not
    the one after it. I'm used to it moving froward I guess from Windows
    and frankly feel that makes more sense. Is there a way to change this?
    It seems to be global behavior, but I'd be willing to change it per
    app if needed. I use this a lot in mail and in iTunes when deleting
    podcast episodes I'm not interested in. I now select the last one in
    the list and work my way up, but I;d rather start at the top, arrow
    down, hit delete and so on.

    Thanks,
    John
     
    raggio, Jul 18, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <2008071811132816807-raggionospam@optonlinenet>,
    raggio <> wrote:

    > I still can't get used to it and was wonderingi f it could be
    > changed. I find that in Mail and iTunes when I use the delete key to
    > delete an item, that the system selects the item before the one I
    > deleted and not the one after it. I'm used to it moving froward I
    > guess from Windows and frankly feel that makes more sense. Is there
    > a way to change this?


    When I delete something in mail, it selects the next item, below it; the
    only time it selects the item above it, is when I delete the last item.

    --
    Donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; help send Michelle to the marathon.
    <http://www.active.com/donate/tntdms/tntdmsMSteine>
     
    Michelle Steiner, Jul 18, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <2008071811132816807-raggionospam@optonlinenet>,
    > raggio <> wrote:
    >
    > > I still can't get used to it and was wonderingi f it could be
    > > changed. I find that in Mail and iTunes when I use the delete key to
    > > delete an item, that the system selects the item before the one I
    > > deleted and not the one after it. I'm used to it moving froward I
    > > guess from Windows and frankly feel that makes more sense. Is there
    > > a way to change this?

    >
    > When I delete something in mail, it selects the next item, below it; the
    > only time it selects the item above it, is when I delete the last item.


    From a very quick test here, it looks like Mail selects the "next" item
    based on the current sort field. The order of the sort controls whether
    that item is above or below the deleted item. So the simple answer for
    the OP is that he can reverse the sort, such that more recent (or
    whatever) items are at the bottom. But I don't think there's a way to
    have it just move visually down regardless of the sort.

    --
    "Harry?" Ron's voice was a mere whisper. "Do you smell something ... burning?"
    - Harry Potter and the Odor of the Phoenix
     
    Gregory Weston, Jul 18, 2008
    #3
  4. Michelle Steiner <> writes:

    > In article <2008071811132816807-raggionospam@optonlinenet>,
    > raggio <> wrote:
    >
    > > I still can't get used to it and was wonderingi f it could be
    > > changed. I find that in Mail and iTunes when I use the delete key to
    > > delete an item, that the system selects the item before the one I
    > > deleted and not the one after it. I'm used to it moving froward I
    > > guess from Windows and frankly feel that makes more sense. Is there
    > > a way to change this?

    >
    > When I delete something in mail, it selects the next item, below it; the
    > only time it selects the item above it, is when I delete the last
    > item.


    The use of "above" and "below" is confusing to me. I keep my inbox
    ordered by date received, but there are two ways to do that (ascending
    and descending).

    In response to John, in either case, when I delete a message, Mail
    moves me to the chronologically next message forward in time. I think
    that is the behavior that I would want, since somehow it matches
    reading messages in the order in which they are received.

    Does Mail do something different for you, John?

    Maybe your problem is as simple as you have your inbox organized by
    date, but so that the latest messages are at the top. You know you
    can switch that behavior by clicking on the "Date Received" field at
    the top of your display of your mailbox, right?
     
    Doug Anderson, Jul 18, 2008
    #4
  5. In article <>,
    Doug Anderson <> wrote:

    > > When I delete something in mail, it selects the next item, below
    > > it; the only time it selects the item above it, is when I delete
    > > the last item.

    >
    > The use of "above" and "below" is confusing to me.


    I'm referring to directions related to the top and bottom of the
    monitor. When I delete a message, regardless of the sort order, the
    next message selected is the one immediately closest to the bottom of
    the monitor.

    --
    Donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; help send Michelle to the marathon.
    <http://www.active.com/donate/tntdms/tntdmsMSteine>
     
    Michelle Steiner, Jul 18, 2008
    #5
  6. In article <>,
    Gregory Weston <> wrote:

    > From a very quick test here, it looks like Mail selects the "next"
    > item based on the current sort field. The order of the sort controls
    > whether that item is above or below the deleted item.


    You're right; I always have my messages sorted by date sent, with the
    oldest messages at the top, so when I delete a message, the one below it
    is selected. If I reverse the sort order (as I just did, to try it),
    the message above the deleted message is selected.

    --
    Donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; help send Michelle to the marathon.
    <http://www.active.com/donate/tntdms/tntdmsMSteine>
     
    Michelle Steiner, Jul 18, 2008
    #6
  7. raggio

    raggio Guest

    On 2008-07-18 12:24:20 -0400, Doug Anderson
    <> said:

    > Michelle Steiner <> writes:
    >
    >> In article <2008071811132816807-raggionospam@optonlinenet>,
    >> raggio <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I still can't get used to it and was wonderingi f it could be
    >>> changed. I find that in Mail and iTunes when I use the delete key to
    >>> delete an item, that the system selects the item before the one I
    >>> deleted and not the one after it. I'm used to it moving froward I
    >>> guess from Windows and frankly feel that makes more sense. Is there
    >>> a way to change this?

    >>
    >> When I delete something in mail, it selects the next item, below it; the
    >> only time it selects the item above it, is when I delete the last
    >> item.

    >
    > The use of "above" and "below" is confusing to me. I keep my inbox
    > ordered by date received, but there are two ways to do that (ascending
    > and descending).
    >
    > In response to John, in either case, when I delete a message, Mail
    > moves me to the chronologically next message forward in time. I think
    > that is the behavior that I would want, since somehow it matches
    > reading messages in the order in which they are received.
    >
    > Does Mail do something different for you, John?
    >
    > Maybe your problem is as simple as you have your inbox organized by
    > date, but so that the latest messages are at the top. You know you
    > can switch that behavior by clicking on the "Date Received" field at
    > the top of your display of your mailbox, right?


    I have my inbox sorted by date received in descedning order so the
    newest stuff is on top. If I delete the very top item then the
    selction goes to the previously second item which is now on top. This
    "feels" right as it moves down the list and is essentially what I was
    looking for in the original post. Now it gets a little odd if I
    select the second or lower item and then hit delete. In this case it
    selects the item above the one that I deleted. It's easy to try. Send
    yourself three or five test messages and then delete them as described
    above. I feel like there should be an option to "select next in list
    when deleting", or "select previous in list when deleting".

    BTW, I think my issue in iTunes is the same as I sort podcasts by
    Release Date in reverse order.

    Thanks,
    John
     
    raggio, Jul 19, 2008
    #7
  8. In article <>, Barry
    Margolin <> wrote:

    > It seems strange that you read the newest message first. Doesn't it get
    > confusing if you have multiple messages in a thread, and you read the
    > reply before the message it was replying to?


    I've always had my mail progs set to display newest at the top.

    --
    Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
    --------------
    I kill all messages from Google Groups. See http://improve-usenet.org for
    details.
     
    Dave Balderstone, Jul 19, 2008
    #8
  9. raggio

    raggio Guest

    On 2008-07-18 22:24:49 -0400, Barry Margolin <> said:

    > In article <180720082011038875%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
    > Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Barry
    >> Margolin <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It seems strange that you read the newest message first. Doesn't it get
    >>> confusing if you have multiple messages in a thread, and you read the
    >>> reply before the message it was replying to?

    >>
    >> I've always had my mail progs set to display newest at the top.

    >
    > And then I would expect you to read them from the bottom up, in the
    > order they were sent or received. And Apple's behavior would support
    > that.


    I agree that it would act strange if there were replies to a message.
    In that case I have mail group by conversation anyway. This is not
    that big a deal, but I was curious to see if there was an option to
    change it. It would be especially handy in the iTunes case where I
    want to scroll through the list of podcasts and delete some. Consider
    this scenario. There are 10 episodes and I start the selection at the
    top. I arrow down two as I want to keep the top two and then delete
    the third. After I delete the third the second one is selected. I now
    have to arrow down again to move on. To me, I've already gotten past
    that one and have decided to keep it. Why should I have to skip it
    again? In this case I may very well try sorting in the opposite order.
    In the case of mail I like to keep the newest on top especially if the
    list gets long.

    Thanks,
    John
     
    raggio, Jul 19, 2008
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Aloke Prasad
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    205
    Aloke Prasad
    Jan 5, 2004
  2. AES/newspost
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    280
    AES/newspost
    Oct 21, 2003
  3. Jorl Shefner
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    209
    Tom Stiller
    Aug 2, 2005
  4. AES
    Replies:
    34
    Views:
    1,114
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    510
    Gregory Weston
    Aug 8, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page