    unlock the pc. i need the hp
    secret password to reset it.

    thanks
    ted, Jan 21, 2008

  2. ted

    HH Guest

    Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd try that
    first. The location of the jumper (it's usually close to the round CMOS
    battery on the motherboard) and how to use it (some boards you just remove
    it for 30 seconds or so and replace. On others it's moved from one pin to
    another) shouild be in the docs that came with the PC. If not, give HP a
    call for directions.
    Clearing CMOS removes any power on passwords.

    HH

    HH, Jan 21, 2008

  3. "HH" <> wrote in message

    > Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
    > try that first. Clearing CMOS removes any power-on passwords.

    It's also likely to reset the CMOS settings to their defaults. Be sure you
    have a list of the currnent settings before clearing them.
    William Sommerwerck, Jan 21, 2008
  4. ted

    Freddie Guest

    On Jan 21, 1:56 pm, ted <> wrote:
    > i have a compaq 6027us and the
    > power on password is on and
    > has locked me out how do i
    > unlock the pc. i need the hp
    > secret password to reset it.
    >
    > thanks

    The jumper name is CPWD i believe and you remove it, by default it's
    shorted so you want it open.

    -Fred
    Freddie, Jan 21, 2008
  5. ted

    CBFalconer Guest

    ted wrote:

    > i have a compaq 6027us and the power on password is on and
    > has locked me out how do i unlock the pc. i need the hp
    > secret password to reset it.

    If this is a laptop, you can't change it without the co-operation
    of the manufacturer, which will also involve convincing them that
    you own it.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Jan 21, 2008
  6. ted

    kony Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
    <> wrote:

    >"HH" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
    >> try that first. Clearing CMOS removes any power-on passwords.

    >It's also likely to reset the CMOS settings to their defaults. Be sure you
    >have a list of the currnent settings before clearing them.

    It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
    prevents use?

    Generally OEMs have rather spartan bios options, and while
    this is often seen as a negative thing it also means the
    system had to be able to run correctly without some of the
    more advanced settings changes available. IOW generally
    there's just basic things like disabling onboard features
    and boot items.
    kony, Jan 21, 2008
  7. "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"

    > It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
    > prevents use?

    True. It depends on whether you can access the BIOS settings without having
    to use the password.

    Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down somewhere.
    I have such a listing.
    William Sommerwerck, Jan 22, 2008
  8. ted

    - Bobb - Guest

    go to

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&product=94088&rule=46302&lang=en

    - Bobb -, Jan 22, 2008
  9. ted

    Guest

    On Jan 21, 4:11 pm, "William Sommerwerck"
    <> wrote:
    > "kony" <> wrote in message

    > > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
    > > It might be a bit hard to make that list if the password
    > > prevents use?

    > True. It depends on whether you can access the BIOS settings

    without having
    > to use the password.
    >
    > Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down

    somewhere.
    > I have such a listing.

    With tthe older PCs and parallel port printers, you could do a
    'printscreen' of the bios settings. Is that a possibility with USB
    printers?

    GG
    , Jan 22, 2008
  10. ted

    kony Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:32:16 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    > > Regardless, you should have a list of BIOS settings written down

    >somewhere.
    > > I have such a listing.

    >With tthe older PCs and parallel port printers, you could do a
    >'printscreen' of the bios settings. Is that a possibility with USB
    >printers?

    No.

    I don't know that I'd consider writing down all the bios
    settings all that important, unless the particular board had
    some quirk in which a non-obvious setting needed to be
    changed from the defaults for proper operation, and/or if
    the system were overclocked then noting the o'c settings.

    On the other hand if you build one system, use it for a fair
    amount of time and depend on it, noting all settings changed
    from defaults is conservatively a good idea. I wouldn't
    bother writing down settings that aren't changed from the
    defaults, there seems no point in doing that since they're
    always right unless you'd changed them, and can be made
    right again by clearing CMOS.
    kony, Jan 22, 2008
  11. ted

    - Bobb - Guest

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > ted wrote:
    >>
    >> i have a compaq 6027us and the power on password is on and
    >> has locked me out how do i unlock the pc. i need the hp
    >> secret password to reset it.

    > If this is a laptop, you can't change it without the co-operation
    > of the manufacturer, which will also involve convincing them that
    > you own it.

    When I worked at Compaq - had to SEND IT IN - they would wipe it - OS to
    factory ( or maybe just tossed the old drive ?).
    So if you NEED the data, remove the disk, install into a desktop pc as
    second drive and backup before sending back ( ASK them while on the phone)
    - Bobb -, Jan 22, 2008
  12. ted

    HH Guest

    It is a desktop, not a notebook.

    HH

    HH, Jan 22, 2008
  13. ted

    CBFalconer Guest

    HH wrote: ** and top-posted. Fixed. **
    > "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:

    >>> If this is a laptop, you can't change it without the co-operation
    >>> of the manufacturer, which will also involve convincing them that
    >>> you own it.

    >> When I worked at Compaq - had to SEND IT IN - they would wipe it
    >> - OS to factory ( or maybe just tossed the old drive ?). So if
    >> you NEED the data, remove the disk, install into a desktop pc as
    >> second drive and backup before sending back ( ASK them while on
    >> the phone)

    > It is a desktop, not a notebook.

    So you can ignore my caution. But please do not top-post. Your
    answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to
    which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. I fixed
    this one. See the following links:

    CBFalconer, Jan 22, 2008
  14. ted

    Ben Myers Guest

    Balderdash! If you don't know what the computer is, do a little research before
    posting a response, almost invariably followed by your obsessive cluttering of
    the newsgroups scolding people not to top-post.

    A mindless google search turned up "Software & Driver downloads Compaq Presario
    6027US DESKTOP PC". Capitals are mine for emphasis. It took me less time than
    it took you to respond and then send your top-posting canned message!

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 23, 2008
  15. ted

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:34:59 -0500, CBFalconer <> wrote:

    >HH wrote: ** and top-posted. Fixed. **

    >>> When I worked at Compaq - had to SEND IT IN - they would wipe it
    >>> - OS to factory ( or maybe just tossed the old drive ?). So if
    >>> you NEED the data, remove the disk, install into a desktop pc as
    >>> second drive and backup before sending back ( ASK them while on
    >>> the phone)

    >> It is a desktop, not a notebook.

    >So you can ignore my caution. But please do not top-post. Your
    >answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to
    >which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. I fixed
    >this one. See the following links:
    >
    >--
    > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
    > <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
    > <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> (taming google)
    > <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/> (newusers)

    And http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Jan 24, 2008
  16. ted

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Jan 24, 2008
  17. ted

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, then. Let's see. Would you rather have an accurate response top-posted
    or a half-baked and ignorant response bottom posted? Let's exercise some value
    judgements here... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 24, 2008
  18. ted

    HH Guest

    Forget it, Ben. Your words are falling on deaf ears.

    HH

    HH, Jan 24, 2008
  19. ted

    Ben Myers Guest

    It's just a bit of fun to prod them some more. It's interesting that the URL
    cited gives no facts, only that usenet started with the bottom-posting
    convention, followed by a lot of essentially repetitive statements. So now, of
    course, they all expect everyone to bottom-post. Had usenet started the other
    way with top-posting, you and I would be all set, and the bottom-posting bigots
    would be the frowned upon.

    I should note that the original Western Union telegraph was bottom-posting,
    wasn't it? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 24, 2008
  20. ted

    HH Guest