Power supplies

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Pete, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi,
    what should I be looking for in power supply that's going into an
    overclocked system?
    Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?
    TIA

    --
    P§³

    1. Advertising

  2. Dashi

    Dashi Guest

    KingWin KWI450 Black with four fans.

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > what should I be looking for in power supply that's going into an
    > overclocked system?
    > Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > P§³

    1. Advertising

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    i wouldn't really go below 350w psu mate if you intend to overclock infact
    400w would be ideal but whatever your budget is.

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:31:08 GMT, "Pete" <> wrote:

    >:>Hi,
    >:>what should I be looking for in power supply that's going into an
    >:>overclocked system?
    >:>Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?
    >:>TIA

    -----
    Lee.

  4. "Pete" <> wrote in message news:<wU0Sb.8631$>...

    > what should I be looking for in power supply that's
    > going into an overclocked system?

    Enough amps for each voltage, and http://takaman.jp can help you
    estimate those needs. The +12V rail may need to put out a lot of amps
    if the CPU is powered by it (i.e., mobo has an extra power 4-pin power
    connector) and you have lots of drives or an AGP card that has its own
    power connector. But don't trust manufacturer's ratings because some
    aren't nearly as accurate as others.

    > Heard Fortran is good, any opinions?

    Fortron is about the best but also among the cheapest, like $21 for a
    350W right now at www.newegg.com, and that includes delivery. They're
    sold under many other brands as well, including Sparkle, Powerman,
    PowerQ, Powertech (not PowerTek -- be sure the model no. starts with
    FSP or ATX), Trend, and Aopen. That 350W from NewEgg is a Hi-Q, and I
    believe the only difference is that its fan has sleeve instead of ball
    bearings. Some experts recommend getting either a 350W Fortron if the
    CPU is below 3.0 GHz and there aren't too many disk drives, or going
    right up to 530W or 550W for anything that needs more power because
    it's less than $70. BTW Fortron has two different 550W PSUs, one for
    ATX (20-pin and 4-pin power connectors for the mobo), another for
    NPS12V (24-pin and 8-pin power connectors).