Power Supply 20 - 24 pin

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hiro, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. Hiro

    Hiro Guest

    I recently purchased a K8N SLI moteherboard and (for now) a single
    video card. When I went to install it in my system, I learned that
    there is a 24 pin standard power connector out now. My power supply is
    550 watts and is not very old so I would perfer not to have to buy
    another one but it has the seperate 20 and 4 pin connectors. I tested
    (with the power off of course) to see if I could fit the 20 and 4 piin
    connectors would fit side by side and I found that the 20 pin fits at
    one end of the motherboard's 24 pin connector but the 4 pin seems to
    only fit the same end as the 20 pin so I can not connect them side by
    side.

    When I researched new power supplies, they seem to have 24 pin
    connectors that will seperate into 20 & 4 pin connectors. I'm not sure
    I understand how this works since my 20 pin and 4 pin don't seem to
    have pins that will fit that configuration.

    I did notice that there is a seperate place on the motherboard for a 4
    pin connector. What would happen if I just hooked up the 20 pin
    connector and plugged the 4 pin connector in the other spot. Would it
    work? Would I wreck the board?

    I saw that they make 20-24 pin adapters but I cant tell if that is for
    plugging a 24 pin PS into a 20 pin motherboard or vice versa.

    Any help?

    Thanks

    Hiro, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Hiro

    Don Burnette Guest

    "Hiro" <> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a K8N SLI moteherboard and (for now) a single
    > video card. When I went to install it in my system, I learned that
    > there is a 24 pin standard power connector out now. My power supply is
    > 550 watts and is not very old so I would perfer not to have to buy
    > another one but it has the seperate 20 and 4 pin connectors. I tested
    > (with the power off of course) to see if I could fit the 20 and 4 piin
    > connectors would fit side by side and I found that the 20 pin fits at
    > one end of the motherboard's 24 pin connector but the 4 pin seems to
    > only fit the same end as the 20 pin so I can not connect them side by
    > side.
    >
    > When I researched new power supplies, they seem to have 24 pin
    > connectors that will seperate into 20 & 4 pin connectors. I'm not sure
    > I understand how this works since my 20 pin and 4 pin don't seem to
    > have pins that will fit that configuration.
    >
    > I did notice that there is a seperate place on the motherboard for a 4
    > pin connector. What would happen if I just hooked up the 20 pin
    > connector and plugged the 4 pin connector in the other spot. Would it
    > work? Would I wreck the board?
    >
    > I saw that they make 20-24 pin adapters but I cant tell if that is for
    > plugging a 24 pin PS into a 20 pin motherboard or vice versa.
    >
    > Any help?
    >
    > Thanks

    Your 20 pin power connector should work fine in the 24 pin slot. I am sure
    you noticed,
    it will only go in one way. I believe if you look in the manual for your
    motherboard, you will
    see where it states this - mine does on my K8N Neo4.
    The other 4 pin, should be a 2x2, and belongs in that other slot you
    are speaking of, not with the 20 pin. And yes, that definitely has to be
    plugged in there
    as well, I believe it provides power to the cpu if I am not mistaken.

    Don

    Don Burnette, Aug 5, 2006

  3. Hiro

    Hiro Guest

    Thanks Don,

    I went through the manual before posting and I did not see anything
    listed regarding the use of a 20 pin power source. In fact, the manual
    shows a couple of photos of someone pluging (or unplugging) cords to
    the board and the photos are not even the same board which is a bit
    annoying. Other than that, the manual is fine. I just wanted to be
    certain that I would not blow it up by putting the 20 pin PS into the
    motherboard.

    Thanks again!

    Hiro, Aug 5, 2006
  4. I think that the 4-pin connector that you are looking at is the ATX12V
    connector, NOT the "extra 4-pin" power supply connector. Those two are
    totally different (although both are 4 pins). The ATX12V 4-pin
    connector goes into the ATX12V socket on the motherboard. Again, it's
    NOT the same as the extra 4 pins that take you from 20-pin to 24-pin.

    The purpose of the extra 4 pins on the main power connector (e.g. 20 to
    24 pins) is to increase current capacity on some of the rails, and in
    some cases to "split" the 12 volt rail (but this [splitting of the
    rails] varies by motherboard).

    If your power supply does not have split rails, you can try using just
    the 20 pin plug. It may work, but your system may be unstable when peak
    currents (peak power) is required. If you motherboard was designed for
    a split rail supply, you can try a 20 to 24 pin adapter, but this will
    tie the two rails together, and this may also result in an unstable
    system. However, it is unlikely that you will do any actual hardware
    damage.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 16, 2006