    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

    , Aug 2, 2006

  2. ducky Guest

    wrote:
    > I just bought an Intel Pentium 4 531 CPU and motherboard. Been having
    > some trouble with it. So I'm wondering if the CPU/Motherboard is
    > defective or if my 350W power supply is insufficient? What is the Power
    > requirement for the Intel Pentium 4 processors? I can't seem to find
    > this information anywhere on the web.
    >
    > Chieh
    > --
    > Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

    if you are running out of wattage it isn't because of your chip. 350
    isn't that much though so tell us:

    how many fans do you have?
    how man hard drives are you using?
    how many optical drives are you using?
    are you using a PCIE video card that requires powering?
    how many disk drives are you using (floppy)?

    can you provide more detail on the nature of the 'trouble' you have
    been experiencing?

    AR

    ducky, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Guest

    > if you are running out of wattage it isn't because of your chip. 350
    > isn't that much though so tell us:
    >
    > how many fans do you have?

    1 on the CPU
    1 on the case
    1 in the power supply

    > how man hard drives are you using?

    1 IDE

    > how many optical drives are you using?

    1 CD-ROM
    1 DVD+-R

    > are you using a PCIE video card that requires powering?

    ATi Radeon Xpress 200 built-in to the motherboard

    > how many disk drives are you using (floppy)?

    zero.

    > can you provide more detail on the nature of the 'trouble' you have
    > been experiencing?

    Well, the computer will boot up fine I'd install my Windows XP on it.
    Then I turn it off. Couple of hours later, I come back to turn it on
    and there would be no BIOS screen. The computer seems to reset it self.
    Or if it boots the hard drive, it would show different error messages,
    such as corrupted installation. Last night it hung during Windows
    install. Seem to be a variety of problems.

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

    , Aug 2, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:
    > I just bought an Intel Pentium 4 531 CPU and motherboard. Been having
    > some trouble with it. So I'm wondering if the CPU/Motherboard is
    > defective or if my 350W power supply is insufficient? What is the Power
    > requirement for the Intel Pentium 4 processors? I can't seem to find
    > this information anywhere on the web.
    >
    > Chieh
    > --
    > Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

    Are you using a PSU from a previous generation of computer? If so, you
    may not have all the proper connections, there's often a 4 prong plug
    on the motherboard.

    , Aug 2, 2006
  5. Tony Hill Guest

    On 2 Aug 2006 14:04:58 -0700, wrote:

    >I just bought an Intel Pentium 4 531 CPU and motherboard. Been having
    >some trouble with it. So I'm wondering if the CPU/Motherboard is
    >defective or if my 350W power supply is insufficient? What is the Power
    >requirement for the Intel Pentium 4 processors? I can't seem to find
    >this information anywhere on the web.

    With power supplies it's more a question of quality over quantity.
    I've seen those P4 530 chips run on systems with 250W power supplies
    with no trouble at all. On the other hand, there are plenty of
    350-400W supplies that won't cut it. Unfortunately there is no easy
    way to tell if the supply is up to the task or not. You might be able
    to find some info at the power supply manufacturer's site, or possibly
    the motherboard maker will have a list of known-good supplies. Other
    than that though it is rather tough to tell.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Tony Hill, Aug 3, 2006
  6. wrote:

    > 1 IDE
    > 1 CD-ROM
    > 1 DVD+-R
    > ATi Radeon Xpress 200 built-in to the motherboard

    > Well, the computer will boot up fine I'd install my Windows XP on it.
    > Then I turn it off. Couple of hours later, I come back to turn it on
    > and there would be no BIOS screen. The computer seems to reset it self.
    > Or if it boots the hard drive, it would show different error messages,
    > such as corrupted installation. Last night it hung during Windows
    > install. Seem to be a variety of problems.

    I would try running the computer with the side panel removed to cool it
    down more, and then if it doesn't crash, the problem likely is the PSU.
    I think a system like that will run fine from any good 250W PSU, maybe
    even a 200W. How many watts can your 350W PSU put out? IOW, what
    brand is it? Better yet, what's its UL certifcation number (Exxxxxx)
    or CSA number (probably starts with "L")? If you have a digital
    multimeter (even a $10 one with at last 3 1/2 digit display is fine),
    measure the voltages. Voltage readings taken from the BIOS or a
    software utility can't be trusted unless first verified with a meter.

    larry moe 'n curly, Aug 3, 2006
  7. kony Guest

    On 2 Aug 2006 14:04:58 -0700, wrote:

    >I just bought an Intel Pentium 4 531 CPU and motherboard. Been having
    >some trouble with it. So I'm wondering if the CPU/Motherboard is
    >defective or if my 350W power supply is insufficient? What is the Power
    >requirement for the Intel Pentium 4 processors? I can't seem to find
    >this information anywhere on the web.

    First, is this a good brand, quality 350W PSU or a cheap
    generic PSU? That matters as much as the wattage rating.

    Next, what does the PSU label claim is the 12V amperage?

    Based on the description you gave of the system in another
    post, it is not a very demanding system, any reasonably good
    350W PSU should suffice but there are plenty of not-so-good
    350W PSU, especially some that came free-with-case.

    You need to more thoroughly describe the exact problems you
    are having. Inspect the system for loose cables, cards,
    etc, check the temps and voltages, run Memtest86+ and
    Prime95's Torture Test for a few hours each.

    kony, Aug 3, 2006
  8. Hackworth Guest

    <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > Well, the computer will boot up fine I'd install my Windows XP on it.
    > Then I turn it off. Couple of hours later, I come back to turn it on
    > and there would be no BIOS screen. The computer seems to reset it self.
    > Or if it boots the hard drive, it would show different error messages,
    > such as corrupted installation. Last night it hung during Windows
    > install. Seem to be a variety of problems.

    That sure sounds like a crappy power supply to me. At least that would be my
    first guess.

    Hackworth, Aug 3, 2006
  9. On 2 Aug 2006 14:04:58 -0700, wrote:

    >I just bought an Intel Pentium 4 531 CPU and motherboard. Been having
    >some trouble with it. So I'm wondering if the CPU/Motherboard is
    >defective or if my 350W power supply is insufficient? What is the Power
    >requirement for the Intel Pentium 4 processors? I can't seem to find
    >this information anywhere on the web.

    So what kind of case+P/S did you put the new mbrd+CPU in? If it's from a
    previous system, the P/S may not have enough oomph and the case may not
    have sufficient ventilation. What does it say on the P/S label for 12V
    amps and does it have 12V1 & 12V2 ratings. Depending on video card draw, a
    newish 350W P/S would be fine; an older one, say >2-3 years old, maybe not.
    You could compare the specs of your P/S with what's currently available at
    www.newegg.com.

    Other than that get memtest86+ from www.memtest.org to make sure your
    memory is up to scratch.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Aug 3, 2006
  10. Guest

    > even a 200W. How many watts can your 350W PSU put out?

    At first I was confused by this question. I thought a 350W power supply
    can put out 350 watts. So I read the labey on the power supply and
    there is one line that says:

    +5V, +3.3V combined max. output: 130W

    Is this significant?

    > IOW, what brand is it?

    It's a Antec SP-350. It's brand new, never been used before.

    > Better yet, what's its UL certifcation number (Exxxxxx)

    E161451
    What does it mean?

    > or CSA number (probably starts with "L")? If you have a digital

    I don't see a CSA number.

    Chieh
    --
    Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

    , Aug 4, 2006
  11. Guest

    > First, is this a good brand, quality 350W PSU or a cheap
    > generic PSU? That matters as much as the wattage rating.

    I'm not sure. It's an Antec SP-350 . . .

    > Next, what does the PSU label claim is the 12V amperage?

    here are the voltage ratings on the label:

    AC Input: 115V/8A;230V/5A;60Hz/50Hz

    DC Output: +5V +3.3V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5V SB
    Max. 21A 22A 10A 15A 0.3A 2.0A
    Min. 0.5A 0.5A 1.0A 1.0A 0A 0A

    +5V, +3.3V combined max. output: 130W

    > You need to more thoroughly describe the exact problems you
    > are having. Inspect the system for loose cables, cards,
    > etc, check the temps and voltages, run Memtest86+ and
    > Prime95's Torture Test for a few hours each.

    I can't really run either test at this point, because I can't get the
    system stable enough to even install an OS. But I will try those tests
    if anything ever installs.

    Chieh

  12. On 3 Aug 2006 19:58:54 -0700, wrote:

    >+5V, +3.3V combined max. output: 130W
    >Is this significant?

    Not really, most PSU are divided into 5V/3.3V and 12V output
    capabilities. The 350 refers to the total of these, usually fudging a
    little by throwing in the -V and VSB output.

    >It's a Antec SP-350. It's brand new, never been used before.

    It's a decent PSU that shouldn't have problem powering your system.
    Unless you got a dud :p

    I would suggest you run some basic tests like memtest86 to determine
    if the memory subsystem is at least working fine. It could be a flaky
    board since you have problems booting up. It would of course be best
    if you can get another PSU and a stick of RAM to swap in and test.

    --
    A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
    Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,

    The little lost angel, Aug 4, 2006
  13. kony Guest

    On 3 Aug 2006 20:06:53 -0700, wrote:

    >> First, is this a good brand, quality 350W PSU or a cheap
    >> generic PSU? That matters as much as the wattage rating.

    >I'm not sure. It's an Antec SP-350 . . .
    >
    >> Next, what does the PSU label claim is the 12V amperage?

    >here are the voltage ratings on the label:
    >
    >AC Input: 115V/8A;230V/5A;60Hz/50Hz
    >
    >DC Output: +5V +3.3V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5V SB
    >Max. 21A 22A 10A 15A 0.3A 2.0A
    >Min. 0.5A 0.5A 1.0A 1.0A 0A 0A
    >
    >+5V, +3.3V combined max. output: 130W

    If the PSU is working properly it should be able to power
    the parts you'd mentioned. I presume you do have the 12V
    4-pin connector plugged into the board.

    >> You need to more thoroughly describe the exact problems you
    >> are having. Inspect the system for loose cables, cards,
    >> etc, check the temps and voltages, run Memtest86+ and
    >> Prime95's Torture Test for a few hours each.

    >I can't really run either test at this point, because I can't get the
    >system stable enough to even install an OS. But I will try those tests
    >if anything ever installs.
    >
    >Chieh

    Don't bother trying to install the OS if you suspect it's
    instable, you might succeed installing the OS but then if
    the OS files are corrupt, you just have to fix the hardware
    and start over installing OS again.

    Turn on the system and leave it sitting in the bios hardware
    monitor page, noting the temps and voltages. Also measure
    with a multimeter.

    Run Memtest86+ for a few hours too. You still have not
    really described exactly what is happening with this
    system, what the exact signs are it is not right. Does it
    lock up, reboot, turn off (and if turn off, can you press
    front botton to turn it on or must you unplug from AC for a
    couple minutes?) ?

    kony, Aug 4, 2006