Power supply question

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Emilio, May 25, 2005.

  1. Emilio

    Emilio Guest

    My 2.8Ghz system stated to crash. From the way it behaved I suspected power
    supply or motherboard; once it crashed on me while trying to configure BIOS.
    CPU fan runs fine while powered up.

    When I replaced power supply, PC became stable and worked. But it crashed
    again after 4 hours or so.

    Can a short on motherboard cause power supply to go bad?

    I need to see if my power supply is good or not. There are label on the
    power supply on voltage; +5V/27A, +12V/10A, -5V/0.5A, -12V/0.8A, +3.3V/24A,
    and +5VSB/2A total 350W. The power supply that goes to HD, CD, floppy all
    have one red, two black, and one yellow wire. Which voltage corresponds to
    different color? Fan power has two yellow and two black. The power supply
    socket to the MB has number of Orange, Red, and Black wires with the
    addition of white, blue and green ones. What voltage do I need to see on
    each line?

    Emilio

    Emilio, May 25, 2005