Power supply requirement for Nvidia Geforce 7900 G

Discussion in 'MSI' started by NoSpam, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. NoSpam

    NoSpam Guest

    Hello all. I just purchased 2 MSI nvidia geforce 7900 GS PCI-E video
    cards that I intend to use in SLI mode in replacement of my current
    nvidia geforce 6800 GS PCI-E in SLI mode. the geforce 6800 GS don't
    require external power but the geforce 7900 GS cards do. My current
    power supply is a PC Power & Cooling Turbo cool 510XE 510 Watts (650
    watts total) which I think is the best power supply in it's class. It
    is not a SLI power supply, it has only one PCI-E Power connector but I
    have a molex drive wye PCI-E connector for a second card for SLI. I
    don't know whether or not my current power supply is enough. I'm eyeing
    another pc power & cooling power supply, the SILENCER® 750 EPS12V 750
    watt PSU which is a SLI certified PSU. So I need to know whether or not
    my current PSU will be suffiicient. Give me your suggestions and
    comments. Here is my current computer configuration.

    M/B: MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum/SLI
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Bigwater cpu water cooling system
    Memory: 1 gigabyte of Corsair CMXP512-3200XL
    1 Gigabyte of Corsair CMX512-3200C2 2 Gigabytes total
    Graphics cards: 2x Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS PCI-E in SLI mode
    Sound Card: Creative Labs soundblaster X-FI platinum
    Optical Drive #1: LG GDR-8164B Internal DVD-ROM
    Optical Drive #2 Plextor PX-716A DVD-R
    Hard Drive: 2x Western Digital Raptor 74 Gig 10,000rpm in RAID 0
    configuration
    Floppy Drive: Mitsumi 1.44 Floppy Drive
    Temp Sensor: Lian Li TR-3A Thermometer
    Case: Lian Li PC-V1200 (Modified with window kit)
    Fans: 3 120mm fans and 1 80mm fans
    UV: 2 UV lights so it looks cool.
    Wireless LAN: MSI MS-6852 PCI Dual net card

    Here are my curent PSU specs. shifty.gif

    PC Power & Cooling 510W Turbo Cool PCI Express PSU T51EX
    Connections
    1 x 24-pin Mainboard
    1 x 24-pin to 20-pin Adapter
    1 x 4-pin P4
    1 x 6-pin PCI Express
    6 x 5-pin SATA With 3.3V Line
    8 x 4-pin Molex
    1 x 4-pin FDD

    Features
    Shielded EMI Filter and Large Input Inductor provides superior high and
    mid-frequency noise suppression
    Large Input Capacitors and Power Factor Correction Circuit provide line
    conditioning, longer hold-up time, and lower input current
    Heavy-Duty Heat Sinks, Transformer, and a High-Capacity Ball-Bearing
    Fan means it will run cooler with more power, and a longer life
    Independent Regulation provides superior rock-solid voltage stability
    +3.3, +5, +12 Voltage and Over-Current Adjustments provide precision
    control and system fine tuning
    Heavy-Duty Output Capacitors provide superior noise and ripple
    suppression
    Thermal Protection and Fan Speed Control provide fail-safe protection
    and quiet operation

    Specifications:
    AC Input:
    Operating Range: 90-564 VAC, 0.99 Power Factor Auto-Select
    Frequency: 47-63Hz
    Current: 10A @ 115V
    Efficiency: 70%
    EMI: FCC-B, CE
    DC Output:
    Output:
    +5V: 40A
    +12V: 34A, 38A pk
    -5V: 0.3A
    -12V: 2A
    +3.3V: 30A
    +5VSB: 3A
    Power Output: 510W
    Peak Power Output: 650W
    Regulation:
    +5V: 1%
    +12V: 1%
    -5V: 5%
    -12V: 5%
    +3.3V: 1%
    p-p: 1%
    Hold Time: 20ms
    PG Delay: 300ms
    Safety:
    OV Protection: +3.3V, +5V, +12V
    OC Protection: +3.3V, +5V, +12V, -5V, -12V OCP
    Agency Approval: UL, ULC, TUV, CE
    Environmental:
    Temperature: 0-50┬░ C
    Humidity: 10%-90% RH
    Fan Type: 30-44 CFM ball
    Noise: 30-44dBA
    Miscellaneous:
    Compatibility: ATX12V (2.03)
    M/B Connectors: 20-pin/24-pin, 4-pin P4, 6-pin PCI Express
    Drive Connectors: 15 (6 SATA, 1 mini)
    MTBF: 100,000 hrs
    Dimensions: 5.9" x 3.4" x 5.5" (W x H x D)
    NoSpam, Sep 7, 2006