    I'd appreciate any feedback

    thanks

    john

    coltrane, Jun 3, 2005

  2. coltrane

    daytripper Guest

    On 3 Jun 2005 10:15:18 -0700, "coltrane" <> wrote:

    >I just installed an Antec 300W Power supply. The motherboard displayed
    >a hardware problem due to the reported fan speed. The bios indicated
    >that the speed was 998rpm. Is this a problem? I don't know what speed a
    >power supply should be. My motherboard is an Asus P4PE.
    >
    >I'd appreciate any feedback
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >john

    Which fan was it complaining about - the one in the new power supply?

    Is it possible the bios expects a 4-pulse per revolution fan while your supply
    has a 2-pulse or even single-pulse per revolution?

    daytripper, Jun 3, 2005

  3. coltrane

    coltrane Guest

    Damn good question! I wish I knew what that meant. I'll check the
    documentation for the fan and the MB and see if I can find out. Silly
    me, I thought all I had to worry about was the wattage :)

    thanks

    john

    coltrane, Jun 3, 2005
  4. coltrane

    daytripper Guest

    On 3 Jun 2005 11:43:42 -0700, "coltrane" <> wrote:

    >Damn good question! I wish I knew what that meant. I'll check the
    >documentation for the fan and the MB and see if I can find out. Silly
    >me, I thought all I had to worry about was the wattage :)
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >john

    Even better possibility: if your new power supply has its own, internal,
    "smart" fan controller, it will slow the fan if it doesn't need it to run at
    high speed.

    In this case, you may have to configure the system bios and/or any thermal
    monitoring applications to either use a lower rpm "alert" point (to cover
    rotor lock if nothing else) or otherwise simply ignore the ps fan speed
    completely...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Jun 3, 2005
  5. coltrane

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 3 Jun 2005 10:15:18 -0700, "coltrane" <> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I just installed an Antec 300W Power supply. The motherboard displayed
    >a hardware problem due to the reported fan speed. The bios indicated
    >that the speed was 998rpm. Is this a problem? I don't know what speed a
    >power supply should be. My motherboard is an Asus P4PE.

    Does your PSU have two fans? If so, then the speed of the second fan
    is temperature controlled. Antec's documentation mentions the
    "problem" you are having. It's nothing to worry about.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Jun 3, 2005