    this problem?
    Cheers,
    JazzyJake.
    JazzyJake, May 24, 2004

  2. JazzyJake

    Mathue Guest

    In article <>, JazzyJake
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
    > suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
    > it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
    > power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
    > plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
    > virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
    > might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
    > grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
    > here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
    > normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
    > this problem?
    > Cheers,
    > JazzyJake.

    Which model of G3 powerbook do you have. Resetting the power manager
    can revive things on an otherwise seemlingly dead machine.

    --
    MT - Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

    101010
    Mathue, May 24, 2004

  3. JazzyJake wrote:

    > I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
    > normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-)

    Try starting it from the CD or Diskwarrior, then let us know.
    George Williams, May 24, 2004
  4. JazzyJake

    Jason Guest

    In article <>,
    (JazzyJake) wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
    > suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
    > it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
    > power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
    > plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
    > virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
    > might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
    > grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
    > here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
    > normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
    > this problem?
    > Cheers,
    > JazzyJake.

    You have probably guessed right--it is probably a dead hard drive. I have
    a feeling that in the future that you will have a backup system. Believe
    it or not, I have two separate external hard drives in the storage shed
    that I use as my backup system. I have had to use them at least two times
    as a result of problems that developed with the internal hard drive. Sarah
    does NOT have any backup system related to her laptop. You should also try
    running it while it is connected to an outlet since it's possible there is
    something wrong related to the battery or the connections related to the
    battery.

    --
    NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIPERS MOTTO
    We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.
    Jason, May 24, 2004
  5. George Williams <> wrote:

    > JazzyJake wrote:
    > >
    > > I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
    > > normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-)

    > Try starting it from the CD or Diskwarrior, then let us know.

    How do you start a dead powerbook from a CD?.. Dead means it doesn't do
    anything, so it won't start from a different disk either. Resetting the
    Power Manager is your best bet.

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
    Johan W. Elzenga, May 24, 2004
  6. JazzyJake

    DaveC Guest

    > My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
    > suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
    > it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
    > power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
    > plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
    > virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
    > might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
    > grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
    > here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
    > normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
    > this problem?

    Try holding down the power button (depending on which model PB G3 it is, it's
    probably located just above the keyboard.) Hold it down for 60 seconds, then
    let go. Then press it and see if it will boot. If not, turn it off, press the
    power button, and immediately hold down the P,R, Option, and Command keys
    (you can do it with 1 hand, if you're talented...).

    Good luck,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
    DaveC, May 24, 2004
  7. JazzyJake

    Paul Sture Guest

    DaveC wrote:
    >>My G3 PowerBook has suddenly died. One day surfing on the net it
    >>suddenly froze and I haven't been able to start the bastard up again -
    >>it's completely dead. I've checked the battery and there seems to be
    >>power in that sucker. The wallwart appears to be OK and with that
    >>plugged in still nothing happens. In a way I'm hoping that this is a
    >>virus and that I can get rid of it somehow, because the alternative
    >>might be that my hardrive has died altogether, and that's a rather
    >>grim perspective (read: no backup). But basically I'm guessing blind
    >>here, as I don't really know much (or anything) about macs...I'm
    >>normally a PC dude - auch, don't hit me...;-) Can anyone help me with
    >>this problem?

    > Try holding down the power button (depending on which model PB G3 it is, it's
    > probably located just above the keyboard.) Hold it down for 60 seconds, then
    > let go. Then press it and see if it will boot. If not, turn it off, press the
    > power button, and immediately hold down the P,R, Option, and Command keys

    That rescued my iBook when it unexpectedly died last year.

    > (you can do it with 1 hand, if you're talented...).

    I'm obviously not so talented :)
    Paul Sture, May 25, 2004
  8. JazzyJake

    JazzyJake Guest

    Hi Guys,
    Thanks a lot to all of you for all your help and good advise. I tried
    resetting PMU and got the "how to do it" of the Apple site just as
    suggested. And it worked!! I'm very gratefull that you guys took the
    time to help a mac newbie out with this problem. You've made my day!!
    Cheers,
    JazzyJake.
    JazzyJake, Jun 1, 2004