    What to do? I need to get the files from the drives.

    -Ed

    , Feb 27, 2011

  2. On 2/27/2011 9:28 AM, wrote:

    > I have a PowerEdge 2400 server from the early 2000's which has been in
    > storage. It used to work fine. Yesterday I connect to monitor, KYBD and
    > mouse.. and the system does not start. Worse there is no video, no BIOS
    > info on the monitor!!
    >
    > At first I suspect a dead system battery (#2032). What has happened to
    > the server? There should be SOME KIND of BIOS and Perc RAID info
    > displayed. It doesn't sound like the RAID array is starting.
    >
    > What to do? I need to get the files from the drives.
    >

    > -Ed

    the manuals (including troubleshooting guide) can be found here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/sigu/en/index.htm
    if there is a secondary video card installed in one of the expansion
    slots then the onboard video is disabled. if it isn't posting then it
    should be giving up beep codes or trying to communicate to you via the
    diagnostic lights. and depending on the disk controller in your
    particular unit there may also be batteries on the raid controller and
    the controller may have lost your raid configuration hence why it does
    not boot; but it should at least post.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 27, 2011

  3. Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:33:16 -0500, Christopher Muto
    <> brought the following to our attention:

    >On 2/27/2011 9:28 AM, wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a PowerEdge 2400 server from the early 2000's which has been in
    >> storage. It used to work fine. Yesterday I connect to monitor, KYBD and
    >> mouse.. and the system does not start. Worse there is no video, no BIOS
    >> info on the monitor!!
    >>
    >> At first I suspect a dead system battery (#2032). What has happened to
    >> the server? There should be SOME KIND of BIOS and Perc RAID info
    >> displayed. It doesn't sound like the RAID array is starting.
    >>
    >> What to do? I need to get the files from the drives.
    >>
    >> -Ed

    >the manuals (including troubleshooting guide) can be found here:
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/sigu/en/index.htm
    >if there is a secondary video card installed in one of the expansion
    >slots then the onboard video is disabled. if it isn't posting then it
    >should be giving up beep codes or trying to communicate to you via the
    >diagnostic lights. and depending on the disk controller in your
    >particular unit there may also be batteries on the raid controller and
    >the controller may have lost your raid configuration hence why it does
    >not boot; but it should at least post.

    Yes thank you, I have the manuals ok. There's no other video boards in
    the machine. I've tried to pull and re-seat every board and RAM stick
    but still no POST. The machine returns a beep-beep and then the orange
    "triangle" lamp starts flashing.
    I've pulled and reconnected all the ribbons on the Perc board, and
    re-seated the three SCSI drives. You think it's the Perc battery? I'll
    have to explore it.. but would THAT cause no BIOS to display (no POST
    verbose on the monitor)? The GREEN monitor lamp comes on but the
    orange STBY lamps stays lit... typical I guess if no video. It is pretty
    Tango Uniform right now.

    The server is old, mfg in 1999 but there are files on there (it's
    running Win2k Adv Server) that I must look at and perhaps recover.

    -Ed

    , Mar 1, 2011
  4. On 3/1/2011 6:45 AM, wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:33:16 -0500, Christopher Muto
    > <> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >> On 2/27/2011 9:28 AM, wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have a PowerEdge 2400 server from the early 2000's which has been in
    >>> storage. It used to work fine. Yesterday I connect to monitor, KYBD and
    >>> mouse.. and the system does not start. Worse there is no video, no BIOS
    >>> info on the monitor!!
    >>>
    >>> At first I suspect a dead system battery (#2032). What has happened to
    >>> the server? There should be SOME KIND of BIOS and Perc RAID info
    >>> displayed. It doesn't sound like the RAID array is starting.
    >>>
    >>> What to do? I need to get the files from the drives.
    >>>
    >>> -Ed

    >> the manuals (including troubleshooting guide) can be found here:
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/sigu/en/index.htm
    >> if there is a secondary video card installed in one of the expansion
    >> slots then the onboard video is disabled. if it isn't posting then it
    >> should be giving up beep codes or trying to communicate to you via the
    >> diagnostic lights. and depending on the disk controller in your
    >> particular unit there may also be batteries on the raid controller and
    >> the controller may have lost your raid configuration hence why it does
    >> not boot; but it should at least post.

    > Yes thank you, I have the manuals ok. There's no other video boards in
    > the machine. I've tried to pull and re-seat every board and RAM stick
    > but still no POST. The machine returns a beep-beep and then the orange
    > "triangle" lamp starts flashing.
    > I've pulled and reconnected all the ribbons on the Perc board, and
    > re-seated the three SCSI drives. You think it's the Perc battery? I'll
    > have to explore it.. but would THAT cause no BIOS to display (no POST
    > verbose on the monitor)? The GREEN monitor lamp comes on but the
    > orange STBY lamps stays lit... typical I guess if no video. It is pretty
    > Tango Uniform right now.
    >
    > The server is old, mfg in 1999 but there are files on there (it's
    > running Win2k Adv Server) that I must look at and perhaps recover.
    >

    > -Ed

    does your unit have dual power supplies or just one. if dual, do you
    have power cords connected to each? if dual or not, does each power
    supply have a green led light on it? and what exactly is the pattern of
    the beep code that you are hearing?

    Christopher Muto, Mar 1, 2011
  5. Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:28:54 -0500, Christopher Muto
    <> brought the following to our attention:

    >does your unit have dual power supplies or just one. if dual, do you
    >have power cords connected to each? if dual or not, does each power
    >supply have a green led light on it? and what exactly is the pattern of
    >the beep code that you are hearing?

    It has dual power supplies but only one has a power cord. They both work
    however. The two beeps are heard at the end before the flashing orange
    lamp turns on.

    -Ed

    , Mar 1, 2011
  6. On 3/1/2011 3:34 PM, wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:28:54 -0500, Christopher Muto
    > <> brought the following to our attention:
    >>
    >> does your unit have dual power supplies or just one. if dual, do you
    >> have power cords connected to each? if dual or not, does each power
    >> supply have a green led light on it? and what exactly is the pattern of
    >> the beep code that you are hearing?

    > It has dual power supplies but only one has a power cord. They both work
    > however. The two beeps are heard at the end before the flashing orange
    > lamp turns on.
    >

    > -Ed

    get a power cords in both power supplies and make sure both power
    supplies have green lamps. you are creating confusion as to the source
    of the problem by cutting corners. the blinking error status light may
    just be because of the power supply. if you get past that you may find
    the real problem. but this is too much to discuss via newsgroups. i
    think you need to hire a skilled person that can help... it should not
    take very long to determine the source of the problem. or you could
    just ship off the three drives (carefully label their physical position
    in the raid before removal and note the model raid controller that they
    were attached to - not mentioned here) for data recovery.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 2, 2011
  7. amroid Guest

    ED: Did you find some other insights into the poweredge 2400 power o
    issue. I can't get my video up either

    amroid, Mar 27, 2011
  8. On 3/27/2011 2:18 PM, amroid wrote:
    > ED: Did you find some other insights into the poweredge 2400 power on
    > issue. I can't get my video up either?

    this guy hasn't written back for nearly a month. why don't you start
    you own thread with details about your configuration, problem, and what
    lead up to the issue.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 29, 2011
  9. RnR Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:43:35 -0400, Christopher Muto
    <> wrote:

    >On 3/27/2011 2:18 PM, amroid wrote:
    >> ED: Did you find some other insights into the poweredge 2400 power on
    >> issue. I can't get my video up either?
    >>

    >this guy hasn't written back for nearly a month. why don't you start
    >you own thread with details about your configuration, problem, and what
    >lead up to the issue.

    Gosh, I sure wish you'd stop telling people what they can and can't do
    in this newsgroup and just stick to the question at hand. You get on
    others case about OT but you are doing the same here.

    RnR, Mar 29, 2011
  10. Pen Guest

    On 3/29/2011 1:25 PM, RnR wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:43:35 -0400, Christopher Muto
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/27/2011 2:18 PM, amroid wrote:
    >>> ED: Did you find some other insights into the poweredge 2400 power on
    >>> issue. I can't get my video up either?
    >>>

    >> this guy hasn't written back for nearly a month. why don't you start
    >> you own thread with details about your configuration, problem, and what
    >> lead up to the issue.

    > Gosh, I sure wish you'd stop telling people what they can and can't do
    > in this newsgroup and just stick to the question at hand. You get on
    > others case about OT but you are doing the same here.

    NO he isn't. You ought to actually read the posts. The OP
    hasn't gotten a reply in 2 days, so a SUGGESTION to start a
    new thread is good advice and definitely on topic.

    Pen, Mar 30, 2011
  11. RnR Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:39:59 -0400, Pen <> wrote:

    >On 3/29/2011 1:25 PM, RnR wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:43:35 -0400, Christopher Muto
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> this guy hasn't written back for nearly a month. why don't you start
    >>> you own thread with details about your configuration, problem, and what
    >>> lead up to the issue.

    >> Gosh, I sure wish you'd stop telling people what they can and can't do
    >> in this newsgroup and just stick to the question at hand. You get on
    >> others case about OT but you are doing the same here.

    >NO he isn't. You ought to actually read the posts. The OP
    >hasn't gotten a reply in 2 days, so a SUGGESTION to start a
    >new thread is good advice and definitely on topic.

    Check his history farther back.
    Let the OP decide where to post. This is an UNmoderated newsgroup.

    RnR, Mar 30, 2011
  12. Pen Guest

    On 3/29/2011 11:32 PM, RnR wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:39:59 -0400, Pen <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/29/2011 1:25 PM, RnR wrote:

    >>> Gosh, I sure wish you'd stop telling people what they can and can't do
    >>> in this newsgroup and just stick to the question at hand. You get on
    >>> others case about OT but you are doing the same here.

    >> NO he isn't. You ought to actually read the posts. The OP
    >> hasn't gotten a reply in 2 days, so a SUGGESTION to start a
    >> new thread is good advice and definitely on topic.

    > Check his history farther back.
    > Let the OP decide where to post. This is an UNmoderated newsgroup.

    As I said before, your response doesn't pertain to the facts
    of either my post or CM'S. He SUGGESTED a better course of
    action. Asking a question of a one time poster almost a
    month later is futile.

    Pen, Mar 30, 2011
  13. RnR Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:37:10 -0400, Pen <> wrote:

    >On 3/29/2011 11:32 PM, RnR wrote:

    >>> NO he isn't. You ought to actually read the posts. The OP
    >>> hasn't gotten a reply in 2 days, so a SUGGESTION to start a
    >>> new thread is good advice and definitely on topic.

    >> Check his history farther back.
    >> Let the OP decide where to post. This is an UNmoderated newsgroup.

    >As I said before, your response doesn't pertain to the facts
    >of either my post or CM'S. He SUGGESTED a better course of
    >action. Asking a question of a one time poster almost a
    >month later is futile.

    Still disagree with you but I said my piece so I'll drop it. Either
    way, I hope the OP gets the answer that solves his problem.

    RnR, Mar 31, 2011