Presario 1200 12XL405A won't boot

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by fabianusv, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. fabianusv

    fabianusv

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    My Presario 12XL405A Celeron 700MHz now has a problem for booting up (POST, PowerOnSelfTest)

    The symptom in the beginning is the booting process (POST) intermittently success. Sometimes if the POST fails, I do power off and power on again and it will success with the POST, but now TOTALLY won't boot-up.

    If I turn this unit on by pressing the power button, the PowerLED lit on but there is no indication of booting up, only the HDD produce a clicking sound for a while then silent. I remember in the past the HDD will produce another spinning sound when it successfully boot-up. I have changed to another new HDD but the same result, only a clicking sound and no spinning sound.
    There is nothing on the screen, formerly when this unit works normally... the screen will show a COMPAQ logo.

    I still able to turn off the unit by pressing the power button for awhile.

    I did dismantle the unit and checked for the power section. This power section is controlled by a Maxim IC. I have measured the voltage around some capacitors and coils and can find 5Volt, 3.3Volt.
    The fan still spins whenever the processor start to get warm. I find 2 VIA chips and both are warm, this is an indication that these two chips are probably working well.
    The four memory chips which build up 64MB on-board memory do not produce any heat at all.

    I have tried to take out the processor and test the Celeron processor on desktop and it works perfectly.

    Searching on the net I found h**p://www.badcaps.net and information about the bad capacitors. I follow the instruction and change all the electrolyte caps and still no result.

    I also suggested by Victor the boss from allservice forum h**p://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303 to re-ball the IDE controller or DMA. I think his suggestion is to re-ball the VIA chipsets which is very difficult for me to do this, but I will try to find solutions for this re-ball.

    Any one can help me or give me more clues or ideas regarding this case???
    Or any other sites / forums where I can find more information ??

    If this Presario success, I think my other Acer Travelmate 291Xci can be cured also using the same medicine. ;-) hopefully.

    All comments and response appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Fabianus

    Last edited: Nov 1, 2006