Presario 1722 won't start up

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Chris Tutty, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Chris Tutty

    Chris Tutty Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a problem with a Compaq Presario 1722 - it won't start
    up.

    I've had some problems with the power and it's just come
    back from servicing and was sort of ok for a few weeks but when
    I tried to start it yesterday it wouldn't boot. I don't want to lose it
    for another six weeks while an engineer gets around to looking at it
    and I can't even send it away unless I can kill confidential client info
    off the hard drive.

    Anyway. When I press the power button the power light comes on
    and I think I can hear the drive spin up, but nothing else happens. I
    don't get any flash of the keyboard lights (although I don't remember
    if that ever happened before) and, more importantly, it doesn't boot
    from the hard drive or from the floppy drive.

    I'd like to know if there's a way to determine whether this is a failed
    HDD or not. If the HDD is faulty or missing should the laptop boot
    from a floppy?

    Chris Tutty
    Chris Tutty, Jun 12, 2004